So, what are you listening to these days?

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
2 years ago today, we learned that Walk Off The Earth founding member Mike "Beard Guy" Taylor had passed away. While the band carries on without him (and, in fact, have never officially replaced him), hitting one high note after another, Beard Guy remains a key part of their history and in the memory of us fans.

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
U2 continues to re-release re-masters of their old videos. This aptly named one is from their classic 1983 album War, which is the album that introduced me (and many of my generation) to the band.

And I had to LOL at the songwriting credits YouTube put on. They list "Paul David Hewson" and "Bono" as if they were separate people when, of course, Bono is the stage name of Paul David Hewson.

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Julia Westlin and her husband David MeShow kick off the year with a cover of the Chris Isaak ballad "Wicked Game".

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Years after making a dramatic exit from the music business, The KLF are back, releasing a bunch of their hits on streaming services and YouTube. Their unique sound has been influential in both hip hop and EDM. Hell even I like them and they are hardly my "usual".

A couple samples. Yes, that is country great Tammy Wynette in the first.

Waterfall

They were talking about Chris Cornell on CBC today so I thought I'd check out how his daughter is doing with her music career:

Here with Dad for the first time in public in 2015 at 11 years old, singing Redemption Song:

And then on her own in 2019:

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
It's interesting how many of the kids of that grunge scene are getting into music now. Dave Grohl (Nirvana, Foo Fighters) has two daughters, one sings and one was learning to drum.

GeoFee

I am who I am becoming...
Have been listening to Pete Seeger on and off for the past while. Here is one of my favourite songs:

Luce NDs

Have been listening to Pete Seeger on and off for the past while. Here is one of my favourite songs:

Everyone has broken dreams ... it is human nature to be radically assertive ... thus cracks allowing going the other way ... down?

Some will rise to the opportunity to put the other down ... can't resist! Then some of us generate iron stuff ... hammer able?

Luce NDs

Like A' nihilism some has to be beat in ... I know folks beaten by their inclinations to drive it home ... to connect would 'n beings ... beams?

Know anyone that walked on dark beings? Defines the Shadow as the con science is passed ... didn't require it? Self-sated ...

Master bait ... shunned? These cults are queer as they pound away ... through a dense existence ...

Ire respectful or just irrational?

Carolla

wondering & wandering
There is some sadness in our local blues community - Downchild Blues Band is local for us & play often (or at least they used to!) in bars near my home. I like them a lot. They are also always the closer at our huge community Southside Shuffle Blues Festival every year - an event started by Chuck Jackson many years ago. We heard in December that their lead singer Chuck Jackson is being treated for cancer on his tongue, and this past Friday Michael Fonfara died from cancer - he has been their keyboard/organ player for the past 30 years, and was an amazing talent. So I've been listening to a few of their CDs lately (yes, I know ... still playing CDs ... old school!)

Waterfall

There is some sadness in our local blues community - Downchild Blues Band is local for us & play often (or at least they used to!) in bars near my home. I like them a lot. They are also always the closer at our huge community Southside Shuffle Blues Festival every year - an event started by Chuck Jackson many years ago. We heard in December that their lead singer Chuck Jackson is being treated for cancer on his tongue, and this past Friday Michael Fonfara died from cancer - he has been their keyboard/organ player for the past 30 years, and was an amazing talent. So I've been listening to a few of their CDs lately (yes, I know ... still playing CDs ... old school!)
I liked them alot too....sad news.

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Finnish bassist-singer Marko Hietala is best known today as a member of symphonic metal band Nightwish since 2001. However, his career in the Nordic metal scene goes back to the eighties, when he started the band Tarot with his brother. He is actually only a year younger than me.

Yesterday, Nightwish released a letter from Marko announcing that he is not just leaving the band, but leaving the music industry. He cites disillusionment with the music business and chronic depression as the reasons, hinting that he may be back someday.

While I am new to the Nordic metal scene, I have rapidly become a fan of Marko's work in Nightwish, which you can find scattered through the recent pages of this thread and on my profile "wall". While I understand his need for a break, I know that his retirement, if that's what it turns out to be, is a huge loss for his fans and for Nightwish and their fans. Sending good vibes across the sea to Marko, his wife, and two children.

From his solo album, released just a year ago this month.

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
And, damn, I suffer beard envy like crazy. What a look.

Live with Nightwish in 2015. Most of Nightwish's music is written by founder and keyboardist Tuomas Holopainen, but this was a joint effort by Tuomas and Marko, written for a movie soundtrack.

Gorgeous song and well suited to his voice, here with lead vocalist Floor Jansen on backing vocals.

Luce NDs

Uncertainty Prin. as a hummer?

The masses would say that's out there ... Mass Ada being a snake like Caduceus ... with two sides toit ... hoity toity and ready to trot!