Should health care quality be based on your wealth?

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Many people who judge one way or another have never spent considerable time, or personally known anyone who was either really, really, wealthy or really poor to get any sense of where the attitudes come from. I'm not one of them.

"Illness?" My recollection is that you have always presented yourself as an independent and well-paid research scientist on the cutting edge of nanotechnology.

I am only on WC2 from time to time and I knew that ChemGal was living with a chronic health problem. I knew she had a strong background in the sciences, including graduate work, but I also knew that she wasn't currently working in the field.

Jae. Sometimes one gets the sense that your take away message is the one you want, not the one offered.

I went to high school with kids from this neighbourhood, growing up. Though, I mostly lived in more modest neighbourhood on the other side of a main dividing road. But we certainly were not poor. I moved a lot though.

House Beautiful: Uplands designer had vision of park-like subdivision

I lived in this neighbourhood for a year as a teenager:

Rockland | Victoria

When I moved to Vancouver I met people who lived in this neighbourhood. People on income assistance, disability, working poor, homeless people, and I had a friend who lived in a ritzy new condo there, too. I knew her since I was a teenager. We had a falling out, in the past decade. In our 20's or early 30's she had parties with lots of booze and other things while bbqing on her patio that looked onto an alley where people were shooting up behind dumpsters. I noticed that dynamic. It became quite stark to me. She was just as addicted to excess as they were to drugs. But there was an element of entitlement she had that they don't. I lived blocks from there at one point but most of the time I "hung on" to stay on the West End of downtown, even if I had to live totally housepoor to do it. My separation was when I just ran out of will to "keep up" for awhile. I could've easily ended up in the DTES.

https://postmedia.us.janrainsso.com/static/server.html?origin=http://www.vancouversun.com/open+market+continues+grow+north+side+Hastings+Street+near+Carrall/11031498/story.html

Last edited:
Cannot oblige you on that one Lastpointe. I am a part-time Barista at a coffee chain, making close to minimum wage and with no benefits.

True Jae, at least what you tell us

So how many working poor do you think are at school. How many fly their wives to Korea. How many anticipate three years of unpaid time to do whatever in Korea. I don’t know many working wealthy people who would casually take three years off. And I know No Canadians with health issues , as you discuss, casually dropping Canadian health car

Cannot oblige you on that one Lastpointe. I am a part-time Barista at a coffee chain, making close to minimum wage and with no benefits.
Living with mom, though, correct?

Do you pay rent?

I understand that you support mom in various ways but having a house to live in puts you in a different category than many "working poor".

True, Pinga, but I think folk are sick and tired of the things he says. I am sick right now and

I know I am a curmudgeon. I'll go sit in the corner.

By the by, Jae didn't have trouble knocking Lastpointe and Chemgal.

I would agree with you. I just don't think that income level predisposes individuals to empathy.
It may trigger some of it that's latent, at a deeper level. Having been through hardship can aide understanding. Different kinds of hardship aide different kinds of understanding. Not scientifically speaking. Just reflecting on a homeless guy who got on a bus at First United, chatted with me, I gave him a bit of change but didn't have much on me. He said "It's always the people who don't have much who give the most. The people in their fancy cars don't even look at us."And when I look at the demographics of a place like Vancouver, my instinct is that he is probably quite right.

Are the Rich Really Less Generous?

A Berkeley study suggests that greater equality in a geographical area leads those who are wealthy to be more generous, because they don't have as far to fall, and vice-versa.

The clincher is that as the inequality gap grows, which it is, the wealthy
give less.

A researcher says, "If you're worried about the relationship between income and generosity," he says, "one way to counteract that is to adopt policies that promote equality."

Last edited:
Back