Road trip Canada

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Back to driving across Canada-I will be travelling East this summer from BC to ON. I last drove 5 years ago.
Remind them that Canada is very vast. Sudbury has the big nickel, Winnipeg "Fort William", Moosejaw has underground tunnels, SK has Kay the curler, AB has the Stampede in July-in Calgary-and chemgal and Hilary, BC, Banff and Radium for hotsprings, Float the channel in Penticton, take a ferry to Vancouver Island-see the BC Provincial Museum I assume they are staying for a month and renting a u-drive motorhome....

I may be travelling west the summer across Canada all the way from the Maritimes to Elliot Lake Ontario. Lots to see in the four Atlantic provinces and in Quibec.

Last edited:
I may be travelling west the summer across Canada all the way from the Maritimes to Elliot Lake Ontario. Lots to see in the four Atlantic provinces and in Quibec.

Are you visiting someone in Elliot Lake? I drove there two years ago (from Toront) to see if it was the retirement Mecca it's touted to be. Not sure I'd feel like I belong there but Elliot Lake does have everything a person needs...medical centre, a mall, no frills, buses and taxis so no car needed in town really. Anyway, I'm rambling

Places like that tend to cost more money than my income. No doubt they are pleasant for those who can afford them. For now we remain in our detached house. No solid future plans -but likely one or both of us will finish up in a tiny suite.

What a great book/box you found.

I think Europeans are surprised by our size. They are so used to driving everywhere relatively quickly. I would include a map of Canada and relate it to the size of Europe, draw Europe onto the Canadian map

I forget where you live but I would perhaps plan a road trip for them. Fly into Halifax. Pick up a car/camper. Head west. Include suggested stops along the way and interesting things to see. End up at your house

If they have some money to splurge, i would suggest you look at a company called Adventure Canada. Not cheap but fascinating trips through the arctic, an area most people in the world never get to

Depending on what they like to do, stop at parks like Algonquin for a three day outfitted canoe trip, a visit to Parliament, if it’s fall the train ride to the Algoma canyon, fishing or hiking everywhere, a Saskatchewan Football game for the sheer fun of the crowd, camping by horseback in the Rockies, you can go out of Banff but likely lots of places ,

Honestly it goes on and on. We find our European guests are quite overwhelmed by the space,

What a great book/box you found.

I think Europeans are surprised by our size. They are so used to driving everywhere relatively quickly. I would include a map of Canada and relate it to the size of Europe, draw Europe onto the Canadian map

I forget where you live but I would perhaps plan a road trip for them. Fly into Halifax. Pick up a car/camper. Head west. Include suggested stops along the way and interesting things to see. End up at your house

If they have some money to splurge, i would suggest you look at a company called Adventure Canada. Not cheap but fascinating trips through the arctic, an area most people in the world never get to

Depending on what they like to do, stop at parks like Algonquin for a three day outfitted canoe trip, a visit to Parliament, if it’s fall the train ride to the Algoma canyon, fishing or hiking everywhere, a Saskatchewan Football game for the sheer fun of the crowd, camping by horseback in the Rockies, you can go out of Banff but likely lots of places ,

Honestly it goes on and on. We find our European guests are quite overwhelmed by the space,
Yes, they are. My sister had been here before (NS), and they drove towards Ontario, not sure how far they came.

@Seeler we plan to head east. Hopefully our paths will cross. We plan to spend a fair amount of time in Ontario too so hope to connect with Ontario folks as well.

You know what vicinity I'm in - so maybe you will come close? Any chance of your route taking in the wonderful Prince Albert NP? Grasslands is at the other end of the province and well worth a visit too.

Geewhiz, thanks for all the invitations. You have me really wanting to take a road trip around the Ontario again and meet my virtual friends and reconnect with those I've met before.
I have two sisters in Ontario, both seniors. One unable to travel far. Which means that while Seelerman and I are still able to travel it is up to us to go to Ontario if we want to see her. She and her husband have lived in Elliot Lake since the mines were working. My other sister and her husband may visit New Brunswick this spring or summer so we may see them twice this year.

@Seeler we plan to head east. Hopefully our paths will cross. We plan to spend a fair amount of time in Ontario too so hope to connect with Ontario folks as well.

When you say that you were coming east, I hope that you mean that you are free to come to the Maritimes as well as passing through Ontario. Come to the plan to spend a some time in New Brunswick. There is lots to see and do and I would love to meet you in person. Contact me and we can make arrangements.

You know what vicinity I'm in - so maybe you will come close? Any chance of your route taking in the wonderful Prince Albert NP? Grasslands is at the other end of the province and well worth a visit too.

We do want to see more of your province. We'll have to make it a priority to go through your area.

When you say that you were coming east, I hope that you mean that you are free to come to the Maritimes as well as passing through Ontario. Come to the plan to spend a some time in New Brunswick. There is lots to see and do and I would love to meet you in person. Contact me and we can make arrangements.

We do plan to visit the Maritimes. Mt brother is in Halifax.

Maybe I need to start a new thread

Taking in a small town rodeo while in Saskatchewan was surely a highlight for us! Small town ... not Calgary Stampede kind of thing.

@Carolla got us out of the gate with a good one. Any particular genre/style you're interested in, @Mrs.Anteater? I mean, Ontario is on a bit of a roll in the pop music field so has some huge names like Drake, Justin Bieber and Shawn Mendes but I'm thinking that's not what you're after.

On the jazz front from Ontario, I suggest looking up Alex Pangman. Amazing singer with at least one Juno under her belt. And that's after having a lung transplant due to CF. Seen her live twice and loved both performances.

Back