Renovating or Reconstructuring in the United Church

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Isn't that an obvious growth opportunity, given the general anti-LGBTQ+ beliefs common among many Christians in and from Africa. And one I don't think I've ever considered.
I agree. Ottawa has a large immigrant community from many different nations.
 
Last edited:
My wife has a coworker she coordinates with closely. She's from Jamaica. From all accounts seems lovely to talk to. Absolutely hates gay people.
 
Ahhh ... JimKenney12 - nice to see you engaged wth the Laurentian initiative. I've known Cathy & Stephane from from other UCCan initiatives - they are terrific - so it certainly seems a visionary team has connected well.
Very sorry to hear about your broken leg!! I hope you are healing well. C.
 
I aree. Ottawa has a large mimmigrant community from many different nations.
Ahhh ... JimKenney12 - nice to see you engaged wth the Laurentian initiative. I've known Cathy & Stephane from from other UCCan initiatives - they are terrific - so it certainly seems a visionary team has connected well.
Very sorry to hear about your broken leg!! I hope you are healing well. C.
Sadly, Cathy will be moving to the Eastern Towmships. Leg is doing well. Two green breaks inTibia and fibula
 
Hope you heal well. That sounds like a nasty injury.
Except for crawling up the stairs, getting to our car, and getting into a wheel chair at the hospital, I have had very little pain in the ankle area where the breaks are. Most pain now is in the chest areas near the arm pits where the strain and pressure from using the crutches and in the right leg from doing most of the work when I am moving around. I am able to do stuff like carefully tidy and sweep out our garden storage shed to make room for most of the components of our new trampoline. Our older grandchild is now old enough for trampolines.
 
hah, for a moment there, i thought that you had bought yourself a trampoline. Wasn't sure if i should applaud, or issue safety warnings
 
hah, for a moment there, i thought that you had bought yourself a trampoline. Wasn't sure if i should applaud, or issue safety warnings
We got it in June. Our daughter and grandchildren love it when they visit. And I am violating my expectations for this thread.

Back to renovating and tramsforming churches
 
Except for crawling up the stairs, getting to our car, and getting into a wheel chair at the hospital, I have had very little pain in the ankle area where the breaks are. Most pain now is in the chest areas near the arm pits where the strain and pressure from using the crutches and in the right leg from doing most of the work when I am moving around. I am able to do stuff like carefully tidy and sweep out our garden storage shed to make room for most of the components of our new trampoline. Our older grandchild is now old enough for trampolines.
Crutches are a pain in several ways. . Remembering a nephew who thought they were cute fun things until he broke his leg.
 
hah, for a moment there, i thought that you had bought yourself a trampoline. Wasn't sure if i should applaud, or issue safety warnings
I first met a trampoline MANY years go. It was used for training divers and the rules included ome trainee and FOUR r spotters. I still shudder when I see several people bouncing and no spotters in sight.
 
Our neighbours have a trampoline that I can literally see over our 6' privacy fence. It has a safety net as a "wall" around it and I think the parents keep an eye on things.

Thinking about crutches, how much of the reconstruction happening in the UCCan is "crutches" that are really temporary, visible measures just keep churches on their feet vs. actual longterm fixes that will heal the church and strengthen it for the long haul?
 
Our neighbours have a trampoline that I can literally see over our 6' privacy fence. It has a safety net as a "wall" around it and I think the parents keep an eye on things.

Thinking about crutches, how much of the reconstruction happening in the UCCan is "crutches" that are really temporary, visible measures just keep churches on their feet vs. actual longterm fixes that will heal the church and strengthen it for the long haul?
SHuffling deckchairs is another common image.....and I think that many initiatives are doing that. In some (many?) cases I feel that closing the congregation and starting from scratch would be more profitable than tryin to reform the existing. Of course that only works if the phoenix that arises from the ashes really wants to be a new different thing rahter that recreate in the shape of the old
 
Back
Top