Random acts of music

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Speaking of great low voices:

There's an official, fully produced version of this song but I love this solo acoustic version better.

Official version:

A friend on another board introduced me to Lissie the other day. Great voice, similar to Stevie Nicks (one of the first songs I heard by her was a Fleetwood Mac cover).

With a full band and backing track:

Solo acoustic:

Sarah McLachlan is originally from Halifax, NS, though she has lived in BC for most of her musical career. So it's not surprising that she put out a tribute to those lost in the shooting in NS. It's a lovely solo acoustic version of her song "Angel". Not sure why my recommendations didn't pick it up sooner. She doesn't say who the girl singing with her is, but her eldest daughter is 18 per Wiki so maybe her? If it is, she definitely inherited Mom's voice.

Procol Harem 2006 live concert in Denmark: Salty Dog and A Whiter shade of Pale........soothing

Okay, this deserves some mention. The Rolling Stones, quite possibly the world's oldest functioning rock band, have now topped the Rock Digital Song Sales chart for the first time. And it's a new song, to boot, from an upcoming new album.

The lovely voice of Faouzia is in action again, teaming with Swedish EDM artists Galantis for a track on the album of the movie Scoob! (a new Scooby Doo movie). This is her own stripped down version which, as usual, better highlights that stunning voice.

And being on a soundtrack with some international artists can't hurt her burgeoning career.

Oh, and she sent me birthday greetings. :cool:

(fine, it's an automated thing for subscribers to her newsletter, but it does have her singing Happy Birthday and that made me happy)

More Faouzia. This is the first time I have heard her sing in Arabic, her family's native language (she was born in Morocco). It's an Arabic translation of Kelly Clarkson's recent single "I Dare You"

Clarkson's English original.

I could listen to either of these women sing like this for hours. Both are amazing singers.

One more version, this time with singers in six different languages, including Clarkson and Faouzia. I am impressed that Clarkson not only sings in English, but also learned parts of the song in the other languages.

And for a change of pace, some 16th century madrigals from Voces8 (though each only uses 6 of the 8).

Another new single from Faouzia, this one from her perpetually in progress debut album.

Eleonore Cockerham does not seem to have much out recording-wise aside from her regular gig as one of the sopranos in Voces8. Which kind of saddens me because she is a pretty good soprano and I would love to hear more of her singing solo.

However, while hunting for music by her, I did find these collaborations with a singer-songwriter named Sarah Beattie.

"When I Survey"

"Take on me", a cover of Norwegian pop group a-ha

And speaking of Voces8, here they are shortly after Eleonore joined with a setting of a song made famouse by Sinatra.

Stephen Sondheim's "Send in the Clowns" easily ranks as one of his best songs and maybe even one of the best songs of the 20th century. My father loved it and I am also fond of it. And here Voces8 sings a beautiful arrangement by Jim Clements, their composer in residence. Mezzo-soprano/alto Katie Jeffries-Harris takes the lead here and is wonderful. I think it is the first time I have heard her sing an extended solo and want more.

Another Clements arrangement. Lyrics by Sondheim, music by Leonard Bernstein. And I think giving the lead to the bass at the beginning is inspired since it is usually sung by tenors. Though Voce8's tenors get their shot, too.

This song's not random, it's timeless, at the right time. Released in 1994 - I just accidentally heard it for the first time, after another one of my favourites. A resurfaced piece of art, and lament, and hope...poetry to music, by Gil Scot Heron. This lit up my whole brain.

(a couple of single swear words)

Another awe inspiring song on the Spirits, album, called Message to the Messengers.

Last edited:
Sarah McLachlan is originally from Halifax, NS, though she has lived in BC for most of her musical career. So it's not surprising that she put out a tribute to those lost in the shooting in NS. It's a lovely solo acoustic version of her song "Angel". Not sure why my recommendations didn't pick it up sooner. She doesn't say who the girl singing with her is, but her eldest daughter is 18 per Wiki so maybe her? If it is, she definitely inherited Mom's voice.

Phenomenal.

Back