Random acts of music

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

ninjafaery

I just am
Reaction score
I was moved listening to this, thinking of recent events...seems too depressingly relevant decades later.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ninjafaery

I just am
Reaction score
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ninjafaery

I just am
Reaction score
Righteous retribution to all you Punsters....for years, and years of pain. Here Dear.

ninjafaery

I just am
Reaction score
In case you think this is all the artist can do. He's actually one of my favourite traditional fusion musicians.

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Reaction score
An interesting Voces8 video from yesterday. Rather than the full octet, it's just first soprano Andrea Haines with tenor Blake Morgan showing off his guitar chops for a song by UK composer Benjamin Britten.

Andrea is now the second longest running current member, with only co-founder Barnaby Smith being longer. Blake is their only non-British member, being from Michigan, something they often tease him about in intros.

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Reaction score
And here is counter-tenor Barnaby Smith with a song by John Dowland. Counter-tenors are a fairly rare breed and Barnaby is a good one.

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Reaction score
Haven't had a new video from The Hound + The Fox in a while. This is quite a different sound for McKenzie and Reilly, almost getting into EDM. A lively song of summer romance with a sexy video to match.

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Reaction score
Celebrating the contributions of immigrants on Canada Day, here's Swedish-Canadian songstress Julia Westin with a new original track. As I have discussed before, she met Quebecois musician David Meshow (yes, he spells like that as his stage name) online and is now married to him and lives in Quebec. David produces and plays on most of her recordings.

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Reaction score
Toyah and Robert look like they could be somebody's parents or even grandparents. But not many people can count one of the greatest guitar players in rock music as their grandpa. Robert Fripp not only founded prog legend King Crimson, but played on many recordings by the likes of David Bowie.

His wife Toyah Willcox has a long recording career of her own. This song is one of hers, from an album, In the Court of the Crimson Queen, whose title alludes to a famous album by her spouse's band.

Here are Robert and Toyah in their kitchen. Her singing is perhaps not at its best, but there is no mistaking that guitar sound. Robert Fripp is still one of the best.

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Reaction score
Faouzia continues to release new tracks, even with no sign of when her long awaited debut album will roll. Nice, if sad at the end, video featuring one of her real-life friends. Her songwriting seems to get better and more assured with each new release. And I'm not sure who is her producer (maybe she's self-produced, but I kind of doubt it this early in her career), but they are doing a bang-up job.

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Reaction score
I didn't watch any of the Canada Day stuff but CBC Music has been posting the performances over the weeks since. I love this one. Sarah McLachlan singing one of her classics backed by duo Whitehorse, both of whom have been in her band or toured with her at various times*, and Pierre Marchand, her longtime producer/co-writer.

I'm seeing an uptick in activity from her recently so maybe a new album soon?? She did say early in 2019 that she had 15 songs in various stages of writing and production and debuted on of them in concert. It's been almost 4 years since Wonderland, and that was a Christmas album of seasonal favorites and carols rather than an album of new songs.

* I know that I have heard it said that Sarah played matchmaker for Whitehorse members Luke Doucet and Melissa Mclelland, who are a married couple as well as musical partners, but can't find confirmation anywhere.