Prophets and prophecy in the Hebrew Scriptures

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Waterfall -----We are called to act on Gods behalf

I say ------Did God choose you like He did Noah and Jonah -----your in the Old Testament here God the Father dealt directly with the people in the Old Testament --we now have to go through Jesus who is the Son to get to God the Father ----God didn't choose Jesus ----Jesus is God in my Bible -----our only purpose in this life is to return to God and Jesus who is God came to help us do that ----that has nothing to do with prophesying future events -----it has everything to do with being saved from sin and death

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/prophesying
verb (used with object), proph·e·sied, proph·e·sy·ing.
to foretell or predict.
to indicate beforehand.
to declare or foretell by or as if by divine inspiration.
SEE MORE
verb (used without object), proph·e·sied, proph·e·sy·ing.
to make predictions.
to make inspired declarations of what is to come.
to speak as a mediator between God and humankind or in God's stead.

Waterfall -----We are called to act on Gods behalf

I say ------Did God choose you like He did Noah and Jonah -----your in the Old Testament here God the Father dealt directly with the people in the Old Testament --we now have to go through Jesus who is the Son to get to God the Father ----God didn't choose Jesus ----Jesus is God in my Bible -----our only purpose in this life is to return to God and Jesus who is God came to help us do that ----that has nothing to do with prophesying future events -----it has everything to do with being saved from sin and death

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/prophesying
verb (used with object), proph·e·sied, proph·e·sy·ing.
to foretell or predict.
to indicate beforehand.
to declare or foretell by or as if by divine inspiration.
SEE MORE
verb (used without object), proph·e·sied, proph·e·sy·ing.
to make predictions.
to make inspired declarations of what is to come.
to speak as a mediator between God and humankind or in God's stead.

Here's to mud in your ayers to see what they don't ... life is dirtier than it needs to be given the input of powerful tyranny as corrupt!

I feel more humble while at the bottom looking up and wondering about nemesis ... does it resemble feedback in both positive and negative forms?

Can pride allow a person to justify anything to succeed beyond the norm? Thus some feel so much better than the alternate ...

Seeler said:
How do you understand prophecy?

I understand prophecy to be an utterance that is attributed to wisdom shared via the Holy Spirit.

Seeler said:
Who are the prophets in the world today?

The office doesn't appear to be as popular as in days gone by. Not that Prophets were celebrites.

The narrative of scripture demobstrates that Prophets are more likely to be considered nuisances or irritants.

We like them better when we aren't in the cross-hairs.

Which makes the current crop of prophets difficult to link with prophets of yore who are greatly admired and respected posthumusly.

Apart from that the ability to prophesy is a spirit given gift and each prophet speaks to the people God send the prophet to.

There is not enough rigidity or uniformity to the gift that we can easily discern who has been sent to whom.

Lots want to claim the gift. Few allow the community of faith to discern the presence of the gift.

See, I don't any "saved from death" in the Hebrew Scriptures, and I don't see as much of it, except for John and some of the Pseudo-Pauls, as you do.

Death is a natural part of life, the counterpart of birth. We are born from Godde, we return to Godde. We are born from nothing, we return to nothing. Really, same statement, except for your belief system. If you want to get into "my body's gonna rot differently than yours", I'm game, but puzzled.

A prophet is someone who interprets the times and predicts what will happen in the near future if we continue the way we are going.
(y)
The prophet knows what time it is, knows what kind of time it is. They hold prophetic understanding of the mentality and mood of this present time. They identify and know the trends of a society by looking at its roots. They are able to analyse trends and upcoming events by judging foundations. Their words are a force against the mentality of the day (Lars Widerberg - Aspects of the Prophetic Office - The Forthteller).

My view -----

A prophet is one today who speaks God's Truth to others--the word Prophet comes from the Greek word ----

Strong's Concordance
prophétés: a prophet (an interpreter or forth-teller of the divine will)
Definition: a prophet (an interpreter or forth-teller of the divine will)
Usage: a prophet, poet; a person gifted at expositing divine truth.

A prophet was also called a seer as they had the ability to see the future -----

In the New Testament John the Baptist and Jesus were Prophets ----

The Bible talks about true Prophets and False Prophets -----A true Prophet of God will be committed to speaking God's truth and will never Contradict what God has revealed in his thinking and my reply ------

Seeler said ------How do you understand prophecy?

I see prophecy as a person being able to have knowledge of a coming future event ------it is listed as a Spiritual Gift -----1 Corinthians 12 -------in Acts 9 Ananias was given a prophecy about Paul --- In Acts 21 the daughters of Phillip could Prophesy ----In Revelation 11 it says 2 witnesses will prophesy -----

As far as today goes ---I believe we have some false prophets who have claimed to be able to Prophesy what the future holds but I know of no real Prophets today who have accurately predicted future events that will take place in the end times -----that is not saying there is not some who can --God will reveal His future plan to whoever He wants when He wants -----

Oh dear, this thread has moved on while I've been working at my replies.

Last edited:
Is divine a fractured truth in real terms? One must approach the farce Ide ... antipodes as the word of Dei ... Ka Ness ET! The coded parlement!

Hoo Dah Thunk as fall out!

BetteTheRed ----some interesting reading on death ----Abraham Bosom -----the rich man and Lazarus ----
https://www.gotquestions.org/Abrahams-bosom.html
Question: "What is Abraham’s bosom?"

Answer:
The term “Abraham’s bosom” is found only once in the New Testament, in the story of the rich man and Lazarus (Luke 16:19-31), in which Jesus was teaching about the reality of heaven and hell. “Abraham’s bosom” in this story is also translated “Abraham’s side” (NIV, ESV), “next to Abraham” (CEV), “with Abraham” (NLT), and “the arms of Abraham” (NCV). These various translations speak to the enigmatic nature of the Greek word kolpos.

All these translations are attempting to convey the sense that Lazarus went to a place of rest, contentment, and peace, almost as though Abraham (a highly revered person in Jewish history) was the protector or patron. In a sad contrast, the rich man finds himself in torment with no one to help, assist, or console him.

Contrary to some contemporary thought, the Bible does teach that both heaven and hell are real places. Each person who lives will spend eternity in one of these two places. These two destinies are portrayed in Jesus’ story. While the rich man had lived for the day and only focused on life here on earth, Lazarus endured many hardships while trusting in God. So, verses 22 and 23 are significant: “So it was that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels to Abraham’s bosom. The rich man also died and was buried. And being in torments in Hades, he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.”

Death can be thought of as separation. Physical death is the separation of our body from our soul/spirit, while spiritual death is the separation of our soul from God. Jesus taught that we ought not to fear physical death, but we should be most concerned about spiritual death. As we read in Luke 12:4-5, Jesus also said, "And I say to you, My friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do. But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear Him who, after He has killed, has power to cast into hell; yes, I say to you, fear Him!” Jesus’ use of the term “Abraham’s bosom” was a part of His teaching to focus the minds of His hearers on the fact that our choices to seek God or disregard Him here on earth literally affect where we spend eternity.

Is wise cognition something that can't be sustained in real life because of the energy required ... and love as such diminishes as you learn something from the graft?

Could it be thar sapience is above us at the roots? Is there a mean stretch? Tis all hidden in the myth ...

This post is intended as a response to unsafe's post quoted above.

I see, unsafe seems to follow the traditional view of prophets bringing God's message of future events.

But there is another interpretation prophets; the prophet interprets the times and brings a message from God, a warning and sometimes encouragement and reassurance.

Are these two views contradictory, or can they be reconciled? Both can be backed up in passages in Scripture. That is part of the tension in the Bible that gives us so much richness. Which view we have seems to me to depend on our understanding of being called by God and our relationship with God.

My understanding is that we are all meant to be in relationship with the Spirit of God in creation. For some people this relationship has been closely developed and they are in touch with their spiritual selves. Others may ignore or resist the spiritual. Those who are open to the Spirit may feel the Spirit around them and within them. They may even mistake it (Samuel thinking Eli had called), or resist it (Jeremiah claiming that he was but a child), or not qualified (Isaiah confessing that he was a man of unclean lips). But the prophets we read about in the Scriptures responded to the call and brought God's message to the people. We don't know how many might have been called and didn't respond.

Often the prophecies began with the statement of how things were at the time; Samuel, as a small child living in the Temple with Eli the priest, seeing Eli's sons doing evil and warning Eli of what would happen, and later as an established prophet telling the people that they didn't need a king to rule over them but to trust in God's care. Thus, the tension we find in the Bible between the ruling classes and the prophets.

The prophets brought the warning that if the leaders continue the way they were ignoring God's commandments Israel would be destroyed.
This happened and the Israelites were carried off in captivity.
The prophets then felt called to bring reassurance that God was still with the people; they brought comfort and encouragement to those living in exile, and reassurance that God would send a Messiah to save them and bring them back home. Here we find the magnificent passages from Isaiah (and others) that Christians have traditionally interpreted as pointing to Jesus.

I believe that prophets and prophecy continue to this day. People are still called to bring God's message, whether it be a warning or a message of hope.

Last edited:
Imagine there may be more feedback from the otherside of the dark zone .... you know ... from out there! Gives reason to look into unknowns and strangers ... like Cloe ... and old name for a cool blossom!

But there is another interpretation prophets; the prophet interprets the times and brings a message from God, a warning and sometimes encouragement and reassurance.

This is largely the Islamic view of prophecy. There is very little in the Qu'ran that is "predicting the future". It's God speaking through Muhammad, giving his vision for how one should live in "submission" (which is what "Islam" means) to God's will. In Islam, Jesus is also such a prophet, the most important before the coming of Muhammad.

Lots want to claim the gift. Few allow the community of faith to discern the presence of the gift.
Some see the gift as a calling and responsibility. Those seeking endorsement by the prevailing powers rarely speak truth to power.

History tells us who is prophetic and who is not. I do not have the reference but I am thinking of two prophets with differing perspective. The one assures the power that all will be well and victory will be won. The other says no to the notion and predicts unwelcome circumstance. The former enjoying the perks and benefits of the royal economy. The second being an outcast.

God has called and anointed me to publicly question the misuse and abuse of Religious and Political authority. This misuse and abuse having led us to the brink of social disintegration. What I say plainly few are willing to hear. Jesus called us to repent, to turn away from our prevailing priorities and commitments to embrace the kingdom of heaven, which is within reach for all who choose it. To turn away from material obligation to embrace spiritual potential.

O that we might call and enact a fast of forty days and nights as did the King of Nineveh on hearing the words of Jonah!

Prophets and visors once were known as Samus (Sami 's) in other heritages gone north and cooler than the heated opinionist might agree to ...

Thus funny dissention? Especially regarding strange words taking to the Eire ...

Some see the gift as a calling and responsibility. Those seeking endorsement by the prevailing powers rarely speak truth to power.

History tells us who is prophetic and who is not. I do not have the reference but I am thinking of two prophets with differing perspective. The one assures the power that all will be well and victory will be won. The other says no to the notion and predicts unwelcome circumstance. The former enjoying the perks and benefits of the royal economy. The second being an outcast.

God has called and anointed me to publicly question the misuse and abuse of Religious and Political authority. This misuse and abuse having led us to the brink of social disintegration. What I say plainly few are willing to hear. Jesus called us to repent, to turn away from our prevailing priorities and commitments to embrace the kingdom of heaven, which is within reach for all who choose it. To turn away from material obligation to embrace spiritual potential.

O that we might call and enact a fast of forty days and nights as did the King of Nineveh on hearing the words of Jonah!
1 kings 22 / 2 Chronicles 18 tell the story of king Jehoshaphat seeking prophetic advice.

I am in no way suggesting that I am a special person. I am seeking to make clear that I am a member in a larger body. That is the body of Christ. This body is noted not for its religious persuasion but for its press for justice, mercy and humility. All over the earth persons are speaking and acting in the hope of justice. All over the earth persons are expressing compassionate concern for the lost and the broken. These persons, like me, are members of the body of Christ. Not the Christ of Christian religion. The Christ seated at the right hand of God in the heavenly realms.

The prophets are clear that God is not seeking blood as atonement. They note that God has no desire for the sacrifice of animals or the presentation of ceremonies. God seeks inclusion of the lost. As the story of our Good Shepherd makes plain.

Matthew speaks of separation of sheep from goats. Sheep being those, like the good Samaritan, who see the broken and intercede personally. Goats being those who are concerned with personal goals and pass by broken fellow human beings.

Jesus did not come to start a religion. He came to liberate us from the institutions of politics blessed by religion. To love God, who is free as the wind, first and then to love neighbours as though they were you. Treat them as you are treated by God. As we adopt the agenda of Jesus expressed in Isaiah and Luke, we will see the emergence of a way forward in hope. To persist on the present trajectory will bring disaster.

These are the words God has given me to say.

I am in no way suggesting that I am a special person. I am seeking to make clear that I am a member in a larger body. That is the body of Christ. This body is noted not for its religious persuasion but for its press for justice, mercy and humility. All over the earth persons are speaking and acting in the hope of justice. All over the earth persons are expressing compassionate concern for the lost and the broken. These persons, like me, are members of the body of Christ. Not the Christ of Christian religion. The Christ seated at the right hand of God in the heavenly realms.

The prophets are clear that God is not seeking blood as atonement. They note that God has no desire for the sacrifice of animals or the presentation of ceremonies. God seeks inclusion of the lost. As the story of our Good Shepherd makes plain.

Matthew speaks of separation of sheep from goats. Sheep being those, like the good Samaritan, who see the broken and intercede personally. Goats being those who are concerned with personal goals and pass by broken fellow human beings.

Jesus did not come to start a religion. He came to liberate us from the institutions of politics blessed by religion. To love God, who is free as the wind, first and then to love neighbours as though they were you. Treat them as you are treated by God. As we adopt the agenda of Jesus expressed in Isaiah and Luke, we will see the emergence of a way forward in hope. To persist on the present trajectory will bring disaster.

These are the words God has given me to say.

George, there are some deep philosophical implications ... but given that we tend towards not knowing ... is it a surprize that many are devoted as an unconscious conduit to pass some present opinions on to the future and intelligence the future generations might use ... but perhaps not depending on whether they would like to learn or not!

Allows for an abstract conduit ... does it not? Also supports that folk song: When Will They Ever Learn! The buzz is that it is legend ... like that salient puddle with 40's whines ... in simplicity that would turn up as a real hummer ...

Back