Portable Communion Sets

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Carolla

wondering & wandering
Pronouns
She/Her/Her
I've been looking at portable communion sets today - as a possible gift for a minister who does not have one. I'm thinking the ones with sleeves of disposable glasses are preferable these days, but I see UCRD does not sell these. Have to say, I"m rather surprised at the high cost of them.

From those who may have such a set - do you have any suggestions on brand, design etc? Do ministers usually have their own, or it usually something the church has, to be used by whomever is serving?

Carolla said:
From those who may have such a set - do you have any suggestions on brand, design etc?

I have a set. I couldn't tell you at the moment who made it.

It is pretty standard, setting for four.

It has glass cups which I have swapped out for the plastic. I may have several home visits in an afternoon, washing the set after each celebration would slow me down a bit.

Carolla said:
Do ministers usually have their own, or it usually something the church has, to be used by whomever is serving?

This is pretty hit or miss. There was one on my settlement charge that was in pretty rough shape. Quite the antique or so it looked. My second charge did not have one so I purchased my own. Neither charge I served in Ontario had one and if there had been one in Waterford the fire took care of it.

thanks revjohn ... I checked with our church admin person ... apparently my church has one of the 'antique chic' variety ... so perhaps I shall be purchasing two - one as a gift and one for our church cupboard.

This one seems interesting ... but I wonder since we use bread, rather than communion wafers, if the container would be large enough? But I suppose not many pieces would be required on one outing.

RW18__42345.1381420157.1280.1280.jpg

Well you only get the serving plate that is shown which is great for wafers or maybe six smallish croutons.

When I was ordained, my parents gave me a small picnic basket. Inside was a napkin, small pottery plate, small potter chalice, a tupperware container the size of a bun, a small thermos, a napkin and a stole.

Put together from various places, with a whole lot of love.

It's still my portable communion kit.

That sounds quite lovely Richard - you've clearly got a creative family to develop such a personal solution. Perhaps I will give that more thought - I like the idea a lot.

From those who may have such a set - do you have any suggestions on brand, design etc? Do ministers usually have their own, or it usually something the church has, to be used by whomever is serving?

I don't have a personal one. Though the congregation has a few of the 'vintage' variety. A previous congregation used a briefcase - it had a cup, plate, dish to hold the small plastic/glass shot glasses, a few linens, space for extra supplies, and duotangs with old-timey hymns. The hymn folders were suprisingly useful.

A bit less conspicuous than a picnic basket, but along the same lines. (Though I do rather like the picnic symbology.)

carolla, I think this is a good idea.:love:
I agree, sounds like a thoughtful gift.

I don't know if it would be what you're looking for, but there are small picnic backpacks. Doing something with this like the basket Richard mentioned might work, and gives a few more options for toting it around.

I actually went off on my search yesterday - to a local potter where I found a beautiful handcrafted stoneware goblet (4.5" tall) with a matching 6" plate; I got a small two level plastic container for bread & gluten free crackers; a small nalgene bottle for the juice; a set of napkins to complement the stoneware, and it all fits into a beautiful fabric 'lunch bag' which has a nice black & white pattern on it. I'll also tuck in a sleeve of plastic communion glasses from the supply at the church. This person adores pottery, and I'm sure she will be touched by the gift and use it most lovingly in her ministry. So a big thank you @RichardBott for the great idea!

Back