Novel Coronavirus

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Sure. Except a lot of people in AB don't believe covid is serious and don't believe in masks
Yeah that seems to be a stickler....I wonder why we cant figure out how to address this correctly?
Do we need a reward system or something? A president's choice like card we get to swipe when we enter protected areas? I think I'm kidding, but not sure...

Your choices are poor ones because those are healthcare settings and i think it is more widely accepted there. If most people aren't wearing masks, a business that requires them could put themselves at a competitive disadvantage for recruiting or attracting customers if they mandate them and others in their sector and area do not. I know there's the idea that you'll attract the people who like/want masking but, sadly, those seem to be few in number now. Certainly not enough to make up for what you lose.

A government mandate levels the playing field by forcing all businesses to play by the same rules and signaling to the public that there is an urgency about having them. Absent that, it becomes a race to the bottom even for business owners who might want to put in a mask mandate.
Right now I'm mostly addressing schools.

Right now I'm mostly addressing schools.

Well, I'm not sure why we wandered down the path of businesses then, but okay.

I like the idea of school boards and local health units working together to provide consistent policies across geographic areas. (Of course, that gets more difficult - the collaboration - when you're talking four or five individual boards in some provinces. Public/separate, french public, french separate, indigenous.)

Well, I'm not sure why we wandered down the path of businesses then, but okay.

I like the idea of school boards and local health units working together to provide consistent policies across geographic areas. (Of course, that gets more difficult - the collaboration - when you're talking four or five individual boards in some provinces. Public/separate, french public, french separate, indigenous.)
Yes. I think the province should make it clear that school boards and health units have jurisdiction even absent provincial action. Instead of being a barrier to that happening as we saw with Queen's Park in the spring.

Expect no logic or logos of reason ... as the emotional side just doesn't like or will it! Thus any smidge of intelligence will be unravelled! Leaves curios foke with ragged fringes ...

My view is that all levels of government have been lax about Covid. Their purpose is to lead - not give important decisions back to teachers, businesses etc..

Recall strong common folk do not like leaders because they'd like to believe they are more expert at this little understood leading (a caul)! These people get that position by stripping the hide of a number of lesser folk!

Some of us rather not go there under any situation of power struggle ... thus we recess, regress or sink out of sight in the human fog and san ...

This has been a big failure by the federal government. At the least, they should have offered guidelines for the use of various precautionary measures related to local infection rates. But this government has mostly lacked leadership.

My view is that all levels of government have been lax about Covid. Their purpose is to lead - not give important decisions back to teachers, businesses etc..
Leading need not mean imposing and then blocking mandates, though. Leading could be providing everyone with the tools they need and staying out of the way when they use them. Really, health units are better placed to make a lot of these decisions anyhow, but the province is pretty much strongarming them into doing things its way.

This has been a big failure by the federal government. At the least, they should have offered guidelines for the use of various precautionary measures related to local infection rates. But this government has mostly lacked leadership.
I thought those things were handled provincially, not federally.
I also thought federal controls only transportation and borders.
I could be wrong, do you know?

They could have offered guidelines without making decisions about the implementation of those guidelines locally. This would be providing tools that local health units could have used. They could do more rigorous research including balancing limiting spread with mental wellness. There is a lot of information about spread, age related stats, long Covid, and more that we need.

Uh…what?!

From the article above:
“CTV News asked the Government Communications and Public Engagement (GCPE) agency for “all opinion polling and research conducted by the province on COVID-19, and/or the pandemic and/or public health measures” from Sept. 2, 2021 to May 2, 2022, and was instructed to file a freedom of information request; 423 of the 428 pages from that request were withheld.”

Uh…what?!

From the article above:
“CTV News asked the Government Communications and Public Engagement (GCPE) agency for “all opinion polling and research conducted by the province on COVID-19, and/or the pandemic and/or public health measures” from Sept. 2, 2021 to May 2, 2022, and was instructed to file a freedom of information request; 423 of the 428 pages from that request were withheld.”
Doesn't surprise me, look at the court case right now with Alberta and what Hinshaw's recommendations were. Or the sector specific data that was promised and I think has still been withheld. Or police trying to cover up what occurred before the Chinatown murders - RCMP with the mass murder out East, use of the Emergencies Act review is taking a long time etc.
Too much covering up s**tty jobs lately.

Doesn't surprise me, look at the court case right now with Alberta and what Hinshaw's recommendations were. Or the sector specific data that was promised and I think has still been withheld. Or police trying to cover up what occurred before the Chinatown murders - RCMP with the mass murder out East, use of the Emergencies Act review is taking a long time etc.
Too much covering up s**tty jobs lately.
Scary stuff - these are all the people supposedly in charge of public health and safety. We’re supposed to have freedom of the press, to hold powers accountable, but can’t if the people tasked with reporting the news can’t access what’s supposed to be publicly available information.

Last edited:
This should be moved to another thread but just following up with what was mentioned above in this thread, for continuity. Doesn’t look to me like anything was covered up - but it’s a horrible chain of events, regardless. In hindsight they shouldn’t have dropped him off - but I’m not sure what options they had. It seems that social services system in Edmonton is a mess, and inadequate (as is everywhere else). But this is the first I’ve read of it. Missed it in all the other bad news.

Last edited:
Back