Novel Coronavirus

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

I have read that schools are utilizing other space. Gyms and auditoriums. Two separate groups of kids. One 8-12. One 1 -5. ( though that doesn’t help working parents.) gong every other day, Libraries....... granted it seems very up in the air

i think kids socialize through more than playing outside with each other. Talking in class. Group discussions. Laughter.

the main reason I think everyone wants kids back to school as it allows parents to work. I wonder if it is doomed to fail? Or if in fact we will see that kids are ok. There Certainly has been talk about only allowing schools to open if virus infections are at certain levels

i am sure parents are worried and confused

I have read that schools are utilizing other space. Gyms and auditoriums. Two separate groups of kids. One 8-12. One 1 -5. ( though that doesn’t help working parents.) gong every other day, Libraries....... granted it seems very up in the air

i think kids socialize through more than playing outside with each other. Talking in class. Group discussions. Laughter.

the main reason I think everyone wants kids back to school as it allows parents to work. I wonder if it is doomed to fail? Or if in fact we will see that kids are ok. There Certainly has been talk about only allowing schools to open if virus infections are at certain levels

i am sure parents are worried and confused

And it does not help here in Ontario that the provincial government has told the school boards it is their job to plan for it, but then keeps rejecting the plans they come up with. That's what TDSB is facing per the Globe. Basically, the government has told them to come with a plan as long it's the plan the province wants. So why doesn't the province just set a plan for the whole province? So they can blame the school boards when things go awry would be my suggestion.

I think that teachers are even more worried and confused. Here's an interesting twist I was listening to today - can you limit supply teachers to teaching for only one school?

I think that teachers are even more worried and confused. Here's an interesting twist I was listening to today - can you limit supply teachers to teaching for only one school?

You'll need more supply teachers, then. Which I guess is good news for the new grads who have been complaining about retirees taking all the supply jobs (to be fair, one of Little M's better teachers in high school was a retiree doing supply).

Ha! As itinerant staff I go school to school/ 3 schools a day is common, seeing students in a variety of classes. I am an occupational therapist employed by the school district. In June, when across BC 1/3 of the students opted to come back, most 1 or 2 days a week, I was still expected to go school to school. No masks provided.

Come Sept. the expectation will be the same but most students will be full time. Masks will be provided for staff and students grades 6-12 for when they are in common areas (hallways etc).
Do I think it is enough?
No.

Right now, we have active cases for the subzone that were similar to the entire city when there were more restrictions. I get keep the health care system ok. With the delay though, I feel like we need more being done now, before school starts.
The school plan, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a delayed start although there is no plan for that now.

I am concerned about it. Reusable masks are a better idea for the average person. And we don't need gloves in everyday life outside certain workplaces, either. Maybe occasionally, but not everyday all day.

There really should be designated bins for disposable masks when we come out of stores or places where masks are now mandatory. For awhile now, I've noticed that places like McDonalds and Tim Hortons (in Ontario anyway) have reduced the number of garbage cans at their drive thrus and if you want to throw any old coffee cups away you have to first find a garbage (usually placed in some far off place on the premises), get out of the car and place it in the garbage. Needless to say, most people don't do this....it's the same with masks. Disposable masks are taken off in the cars after leaving stores and some are just thrown in the parking lots or out the windows somewhere. I imagine it's the same in beach areas if they're finding them in the waters.
In hospitals, nursing homes, etc....you don the PPE prior to going into someones room and discard it as you leave each room.....never wearing the same PPE into another's room or down the hallways. Gowns are placed in special designated bags so laundry doesn't mix it with residents clothes and so they are also aware what's in the bag.
It's probably wise to discard disposable masks into a bag in ones car if a garbage can't be found outside the stores and then dispose of it into an outside home garbage.

There really should be designated bins for disposable masks when we come out of stores or places where masks are now mandatory. For awhile now, I've noticed that places like McDonalds and Tim Hortons (in Ontario anyway) have reduced the number of garbage cans at their drive thrus and if you want to throw any old coffee cups away you have to first find a garbage (usually placed in some far off place on the premises), get out of the car and place it in the garbage. Needless to say, most people don't do this....it's the same with masks. Disposable masks are taken off in the cars after leaving stores and some are just thrown in the parking lots or out the windows somewhere. I imagine it's the same in beach areas if they're finding them in the waters.
In hospitals, nursing homes, etc....you don the PPE prior to going into someones room and discard it as you leave each room.....never wearing the same PPE into another's room or down the hallways. Gowns are placed in special designated bags so laundry doesn't mix it with residents clothes and so they are also aware what's in the bag.
It's probably wise to discard disposable masks into a bag in ones car if a garbage can't be found outside the stores and then dispose of it into an outside home garbage.
Here I didn't notice a big problem outside of stores (although worse than it should be). It was the hospital parkade that was a horror, I'm hoping the next time I go it will have improved, as the last time people had to wear them there but the bylaw wasn't in place for the city.
I notice there's one bus stop that has 1 or 2 all the time, my guess is the same person keeps doing it.

I don't know why cities don't put garbage bins at every bus stop. It would make keeping things tidy easier. Lucy and I went along our usual route yesterday through a small neighbourhood park, and saw a couple of discarded masks, one in pieces, as if it had been mowed over, which it probably was.

In hospitals, nursing homes, etc....you don the PPE prior to going into someones room and discard it as you leave each room.....never wearing the same PPE into another's room or down the hallways.
Not anymore. You get one mask per day and wear it into all rooms and throughout your day, unless it gets soiled.
Gowns are only required for certain patients and are disposed off after leaving that room.

Not anymore. You get one mask per day and wear it into all rooms and throughout your day, unless it gets soiled.
Gowns are only required for certain patients and are disposed off after leaving that room.
Which is against everything ever taught.....so during pandemics we sacrifice the most important things we've been told......madness.

Which is against everything ever taught.....so during pandemics we sacrifice the most important things we've been told......madness.
Well, we disinfect out hands before and after donning then and store them folded over in a paper bag when not in use. Its better than the nurses working on covid units in NYC who had to use one for a whole week.
Mind you, there are no cases of covid anywhere in NS hospitals at the moment.

Black leaders interviewed for *this story said mistrust of medical institutions and the government, based on centuries of abuse and injustices, can’t be undone that fast.

“That doesn’t happen at warp speed,”

This mistrust is not just based on the Tuskegee experiment, where from 1932 until 1972, Black men were subjects in a syphilis study without their knowledge or consent and were not offered penicillin to treat their disease.

It’s also the legacy of Dr. J. Marion Sims, considered the father of modern gynecology, who in the mid-1800s experimented on slaves in the South, performing surgeries without their consent and without the use of anesthesia before surgery.

And from the 1940s until the 1970s, in several studies, researchers exposed hundreds of study subjects, mostly Black people, to potentially fatal amounts of radiation, according to Harriet Washington, author of “Medical Apartheid: The Dark History of Experimentation from Colonial Times to the Present.”

Injustices and disparities continue to this day.

“African-American people get treated differently. They have less access to doctors. When they describe their symptoms, they are not believed as often as whites are. Medical technology is withheld from them. All of these things are a matter of record,” said Washington, a lecturer in bioethics at Columbia University.

“Now we’re approaching them with an experimental vaccine that we’re offering as a benefit — but asking people to trust that is asking a great deal,” she added. “There’s a risk to taking an experimental vaccine. There’s just no way to sugar coat that.”

Not something I'm comfortable with, especially considering the current caseload without school being in -https://www.facebook.com/cbcedmonton/videos/vb.118434788198374/684400882145318/?type=2&theater

Back