Goodbye and Off To Heaven (Luke 24: 36 - 53)

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

And the Greek spelling for fish, transliterated as 'icthus' also serves as an acronym in Greek, in English, 'Jesus Christ, Son of God, Saviour.'

And the Greek spelling for fish, transliterated as 'icthus' also serves as an acronym in Greek, in English, 'Jesus Christ, Son of God, Saviour.'
Another mystery for us to ponder. I have heard this before but had forgotten about it.

Jesus was laid in a feeding trough --to show that He is our Spiritually Sustaining Manna for our Spiritual walk in this World -----

Strong's Concordance
manna: manna
manna, the supernatural food eaten by the Israelites in the desert: of spiritual food.

Jesus was laid in a feeding trough --to show that He is our Spiritually Sustaining Manna for our Spiritual walk in this World -----

Strong's Concordance
manna: manna
manna, the supernatural food eaten by the Israelites in the desert: of spiritual food.
Could be.

And observe the possible mistranslations etc. These carry forward in polar bluster ... quite flakey 4 shore ...

The rush for power and corruption goes on as some lay back to read into the myth of the odd singularity! Tha'soul ... unseen!

May appear in the heat of the night ... flashy? Like sequins ... crevices in difficult spots??? Some say the God point as gravid ... then it passes ...

It is said there are conflicts over fecundity ... consider that Gloria one ... an interesting read!

Interesting to note here ------

44 Then He said to them, “This is what I told you while I was still with you, everything which has been written about Me in the [c]Law of Moses and the [writings of the] Prophets and the Psalms must be fulfilled.”

45 Then He opened their minds to [help them] understand the Scriptures,

My view
So here we see that Jesus came to Fulfill Prophesies that were made about Him in the Old Testament -----not all prophesies have been fulfilled yet some remain in the future ---------while God did use Metaphors and Allegories ----in His word -----His Prophesies that were made in the Old Testament were made for the future ----and no man can predict the future only God can and so these Prophesies that were made before Jesus came to Be in the Flesh to fulfil them ---had to be given to these Prophets by God Himself ----

Unless of course you read the Bible as a fictional novel -----and that goes against what the scripture says -----that God's Word is truth -------

Then we see that verse 45 says ------He opened their minds to help them understand the Scriptures ----which tells us that our Human Minds are incapable of understanding the deeper Spiritual meaning of the Scriptures ----we need God to help us with that understanding ------and so Jesus opened their minds up so they could get the Rhema Word of the Scriptures ----

Agreeing with @unsafe about guidance from the Spirit in understanding scripture.

In Luke 24 we see Jesus helping the two on the road to Emmaus and later the 11 disciples in this way.

I don't know that anyone here thinks the bible is a fictional novel. I personally believe it to be a combination of history, poetry and mythology.

I personally believe it to be a combination of history, poetry and mythology.

Interesting read on the Bible and Mythology

Back to the scripture in OP

Jesus eats -----“Do you have anything here to eat?” 42 They gave Him a piece of broiled fish, 43 and He took it and ate it in front of them.

So this is cool ---all who are resurrected to life in their glorified bodies will still eat as normal ---how cool is that ----going to be food in Heaven ? Hope so :angel:

Verse ----48 Jesus says -----You are witnesses of these things.

So the Disciples were actual witnesses of Jesus Death and Resurrection and Appearance in His Glorified Body as well as His Ascension -----when you think about this ---it must have been quite an AWE experience and an eye opener to them all -----

Verse ----48 Jesus says -----You are witnesses of these things.

So the Disciples were actual witnesses of Jesus Death and Resurrection and Appearance in His Glorified Body as well as His Ascension -----when you think about this ---it must have been quite an AWE experience and an eye opener to them all -----
Verse 48 is puzzling to me

Scripture tells us only that the Beloved Disciple was present at the Crucifixion. Tradition holds this disciple to be John but I don't think we know for certain.

The 11 remaining disciples (after Judas) saw the resurrected Jesus but I don't believe anyone actually saw saw the Resurrection as it occurred.

According to Luke (and Acts) the disciples saw Jesus taken up into Heaven. The other gospels are silent on this.

So when Jesus says to the disciples, "You are witnesses of these things" I don't think he meant eyewitnesses as in a court of law.

He must have been speaking of witnessing for faith as we do today.

Interesting discussion. I agree with you about the awe the disciples must have experienced.

Last edited:
There's an interesting passage in Hebrews 11:35.
"Women received back their dead by resurrection. Some were tortured refusing to accept release, that they might rise again to a better life."
This is said to reference the martyred seven sons of a Jewish mother including herself, that is in the book of 2 Maccabees 7. ( a book that was dropped from the new testament by protestants)
All seven sons died a tortuous death in a single day but claimed they would be vindicated in the resurrection.
As a note, there are seven deuterocanical books that are no longer in our protestant bibles, thanks to Luther, and before that these books were inserted between the OT and the NT, as apocryphal books. And in Hebrews we have a reference to resurrection from 2 Maccabee.

So when Jesus says to the disciples, "You are witnesses of these things" I don't think he meant eyewitnesses as in a court of law.

He must have been speaking of witnessing for faith as we do today.
Looked up some commentary on this --posting Barnes as it was the shortest one ----and to the point -----

Barnes Notes

Barnes' Notes on the Bible
Are witnesses of these things - Of my life, my sufferings, my death, and my resurrection. How solemn was their office - to "testify" these things to the world, and, in the face of suffering and death, to go and proclaim them to all nations! In like manner, "all" Christians are witnesses for Christ. They are the "evidences" of his mercy and his love, and they should so live that others may be brought to see and love the Saviour.

Looked up some commentary on this --posting Barnes as it was the shortest one ----and to the point -----

Barnes Notes

Barnes' Notes on the Bible
Are witnesses of these things - Of my life, my sufferings, my death, and my resurrection. How solemn was their office - to "testify" these things to the world, and, in the face of suffering and death, to go and proclaim them to all nations! In like manner, "all" Christians are witnesses for Christ. They are the "evidences" of his mercy and his love, and they should so live that others may be brought to see and love the Saviour.
Pretty much what I was getting at but this Barnes person says it better.

There's an interesting passage in Hebrews 11:35.
"Women received back their dead by resurrection. Some were tortured refusing to accept release, that they might rise again to a better life.

Interesting read here on what you posted

Hebrews 11:35​

by Grant | Oct 16, 2019 | Hebrews | 0 comments
Read Introduction to Hebrews

35 Women received their dead raised to life again. Others were tortured, not accepting deliverance, that they might obtain a better resurrection.

Verses 35 through 38 demonstrate how people sustained spiritual stamina, persistence, and endurance through faith. These verses may reference the time of the Maccabean revolt by the Jews against the Syrian king Antiochus Epiphanes in the early second century BC.

35 Women received their dead raised to life again.
Elijah raised the son of the widow of Zarephath from the dead (1 Kgs 17:17–24). Elisha, Elijah’s successor, raised the Shunammite woman’s son from the dead (2 Kgs 4:17–37).

Others were tortured,
Jeremiah experienced torture (Jer 29:26; 37:15). Maccabean martyrs were tortured (2 Macc 6:18-7:42). The torture here is the wheel-rack where they stretched the victim, whereby the ligaments would stretch and the limbs would break.

not accepting deliverance,
Their enemies offered to save them from torture, but they would not compromise their faith. They would not sacrifice their faith at the price of apostasy. They accepted the truth of God’s Word as more important than their own lives. Their orientation was to something far greater than their personal desires.

that they might obtain a better resurrection.
This phrase refers to those who were tortured and did not compromise their faith. They did not ask to be relieved of torture by renouncing their faith. They knew they had a great future at the resurrection. It was a better resurrection than raising a child from the dead; it was a permanent resurrection. It is the final defeat of death.

PRINCIPLE:
True faith does not compromise truth.

APPLICATION:
Some people who walk by faith accept the worst possible situations in their lives as an act of God. Throughout church history, Christians were willing to suffer rather than to deny their Lord. They knew that they had a wonderful future ahead. Faith is a grace that draws from heaven God’s providential help in times of need. Faith gives the believer steadfastness during times of duress. It is essential to face trials calmly. It keeps us oriented to God’s purpose for our lives.

Interesting read here on what you posted

Hebrews 11:35​

by Grant | Oct 16, 2019 | Hebrews | 0 comments
Read Introduction to Hebrews

35 Women received their dead raised to life again. Others were tortured, not accepting deliverance, that they might obtain a better resurrection.

Verses 35 through 38 demonstrate how people sustained spiritual stamina, persistence, and endurance through faith. These verses may reference the time of the Maccabean revolt by the Jews against the Syrian king Antiochus Epiphanes in the early second century BC.

35 Women received their dead raised to life again.
Elijah raised the son of the widow of Zarephath from the dead (1 Kgs 17:17–24). Elisha, Elijah’s successor, raised the Shunammite woman’s son from the dead (2 Kgs 4:17–37).

Others were tortured,
Jeremiah experienced torture (Jer 29:26; 37:15). Maccabean martyrs were tortured (2 Macc 6:18-7:42). The torture here is the wheel-rack where they stretched the victim, whereby the ligaments would stretch and the limbs would break.

not accepting deliverance,
Their enemies offered to save them from torture, but they would not compromise their faith. They would not sacrifice their faith at the price of apostasy. They accepted the truth of God’s Word as more important than their own lives. Their orientation was to something far greater than their personal desires.

that they might obtain a better resurrection.
This phrase refers to those who were tortured and did not compromise their faith. They did not ask to be relieved of torture by renouncing their faith. They knew they had a great future at the resurrection. It was a better resurrection than raising a child from the dead; it was a permanent resurrection. It is the final defeat of death.

PRINCIPLE:
True faith does not compromise truth.

APPLICATION:
Some people who walk by faith accept the worst possible situations in their lives as an act of God. Throughout church history, Christians were willing to suffer rather than to deny their Lord. They knew that they had a wonderful future ahead. Faith is a grace that draws from heaven God’s providential help in times of need. Faith gives the believer steadfastness during times of duress. It is essential to face trials calmly. It keeps us oriented to God’s purpose for our lives.
Were the raising of the dead, mentioned above, spiritual or physical?

Let's return to the passage in Luke.

It tells us that Jesus helped the disciples to understand the scriptures, particularly about his own nature.

It is written, Jesus says, that the Christ would suffer and rise from the dead on the third day. Repentance for the forgiveness of sins would be proclaimed in his name to all nations, beginning in Jerusalem.

Did Jesus say this much about himself earlier in Luke's Gospel? Isn't it more focused on the parables and ethical teachings of Jesus?

Waterfall ---if your referring to this

The sons both died and were physically resurrected -----like Jesus resurrected Lazarus ----

Waterfall ---if your referring to this

The sons both died and were physically resurrected -----like Jesus resurrected Lazarus ----
So then is it ascension physically that's unique to Jesus and not resurrection?

The battle between materialism and scattered essence continues! Them be the noughts as fractured by great desires to know not ...

But one is forbidden to speak of things unknown ... even the passing experience thereof! Nothing goes ...

So then is it ascension physically that's unique to Jesus and not resurrection?
Sorry not understanding what your meaning here ------

Don't know if this answers your question ???

Jesus was resurrected in a Glorified Spiritual body and He was taken on a cloud in His Glorified Spiritual body to heaven ------the 2 sons in in first and second Kings were brought back to life in their earthly Physical Bodies to be live again here -----in 1 kings you read that Elijah brought the boy back to life ---through Faith which is what the context of Hebrews 11 is all about ----Fain in action -----

The sons soul had left his body and Elijah prayed to God to have his soul return to his body in 1 Kings 17:17-24 ----and God granted Elijah's prayer ----

Back