Expressions in English- or other languages

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Mrs.Anteater

Just keep going....
Yesterday, I had to think about expressions in languages. Since I am not living with a native speaker, that is something I haven’t learned many of. So I thought we could start a thread about it. The funny thing with them is that often if you take them literally, you don’t get the meaning.
Same of them seem to exist in German and English, for example “ the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree trunk”- is in German, I believe there is a similar saying in English.
I think there might be typical East- or West coast sayings?
“ Back’n down the hatches” xis probably an east-coaster?
JAe might know some saying in Korean , he could contribute?

In German, one says- “ he is so slow, you can put new soles on his shoes while he is walking…”

Keep the examples coming
 
“ Back’n down the hatches” xis probably an east-coaster?
"Batten down the hatches" is what I think you are thinking of. It's a nautical term originally, meaning lock everything down tight due to a storm. At least that's my understanding of the origin. Now it can mean just getting ready for some crisis in general. So not really an east coaster. Probably came over with the Brits or something.

“ the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree trunk”- is in German, I believe there is a similar saying in English.
Pretty much exactly that in English, yes. I use that one a lot myself.

"A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush," is one I'll toss out. Means you're better off with something you have than what you don't, which is pretty obvious really but still makes a nice colorful expression.
 
for example “ the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree trunk”- is in German
I am learning Spanish so I looked that one up.

In Spanish: De tal palo, tal astilla

Literal English translation: As such (the) stick, such (the) splinter

Idiom: like father like son / the apple doesn't fall far from the tree
 
...for example “ the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree trunk”- is in German, I believe there is a similar saying in English.
In English it's usually just "The apple doesn't fall far from the tree."

I don't know any Korean ones offhand to share, but sometimes when I tell my students an English phrase, they'll then tell me the similar Korean phrase. I'll listen for those and post them here.

Gemini tells me the closest Korean phrase to the apple one is, "피는 못 속인다" (You can't hide blood)
 
Last edited:
Making a mountain out of a molehill.

A Dane would say at gøre en myg til en elefant

Literally in English: to make a mosquito into an elephant
 
A stitch in time saves nine.

Early to bed and early to rise...

The early bird catches the worm.

Haste makes waste
 
When I was living in NYC in my 20ties, there was a saying going : “That ( what you are saying) and give me a buck and I can take the subway” ( subway costing a buck at that time).
 
Some things fly ... and alas some become more hypo and subtle as people don't want to know in general! They could take a Corporal thrashing ...

With the switch from "th" to "dh" in traditions it becomes a d'ressing down ... as the "h" was a hollow (a gape). More useful material to not know ... and thus supporting MS Understanding in the (el) aura ... folk lured! Boss?

Accomplished ... the gods created something that knows nothing ... for a little bit! Then it reverses ... sole material ... you can lay down on a media ... and why brutes dislike any intelligence ...

Often is understood badly because of disinterest ... the alienness degraded to uncle and is given up ... allowing the expression "the man from uncle" used by my father when saying you can't be mine ... and there you were dis stirred ... undone?

Make it up as you go because there is no reason it was lost due to the vast demands and desires ... piece mist? Fog ... dervish? Un clear ...
 
Last edited:
Pay phones were ten cents in those days.
What's a pay phone? (probably a common saying in Gen Z and later:ROFLMAO:)

"Tempest in a teapot" is a common English expression similar to making mountains out of molehills. Basically making more out of something than it merits.

A song by Dutch singer Floor Jansen in her band Northward is titled "Storm in a Glass" which is apparently a translation of the Dutch version.
 
What do we really need is another expression that was innate! This made many into isolated automatons ... just following the lines ...

Like AI ... somewhat conflicted due to loss of Karen ... Karl Marx spoke on the anti matter ... like the essence is agi*nus ... and my ancestors initiated Guinness ... bere? Seemed reasonable as Christ like PUBs for communicating the folks missals ... the inside grit?

Just sane ...
 
Back
Top