Evening Thoughts

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Strawberry jam or my favorite would be plum butter. Sometimes some kind of eggnogg. They are also a typical food for New Years Eve.
Actually, the funny thing is that they are called everywhere in Germany “Berliners”- except in Berlin, where we call them pancakes. I am not kidding.

They do look good, yes. Maybe next year, if I trade in the pancakes for these....

I was hoping someone would mention Paczki! I discovered them this year, and apparently that's the tip of the iceberg. If you want REAL paczki, you needed have acquired them on Roncesvalles Avenue in one of the authentic Polish bakeries. By last Thursday, which is apparently the deadline to get them there.

In other news, No Frills and the Loblaws chain carry a not bad version. The dough is a bit cakier, and the dough and the filling a little less sweet than a jelly donut. Also, fine sugar, not powdered, on the outside (which I think is important, because I hate the texture of raw powdered sugar).

I was hoping someone would mention Paczki! I discovered them this year, and apparently that's the tip of the iceberg. If you want REAL paczki, you needed have acquired them on Roncesvalles Avenue in one of the authentic Polish bakeries. By last Thursday, which is apparently the deadline to get them there.

In other news, No Frills and the Loblaws chain carry a not bad version. The dough is a bit cakier, and the dough and the filling a little less sweet than a jelly donut. Also, fine sugar, not powdered, on the outside (which I think is important, because I hate the texture of raw powdered sugar).
And vodka in it?

Damn, those look good, Mrs. A. What fillings do they use? Jam of some kind?
In Brazil we have them filled with jam (mostly guava or berries), a kind of milk caramel similar to butterscotch that we call doce de leite (dulce de leche in Spanish) or crême patissier/crême anglaise. I'm craving for them after I've seen the pictures...

The world is not coming to an end. We're just going to have to learn to cope.
I confess I'd love the idea of Jesus coming back and making Justice. His Justice certainly looks very different from what many people imagine.

Today my husband had an appointment & lo & behold - right next door was a Polish Bakery! (not on Roncie tho!). So in he went & came home with a half dozen of these beauties. I must say - I enjoyed the few bites I permitted myself to indulge in!

The ones at Loblaws/No Frills come in raspberry, blueberry and Bavarian (a fake-ish creme anglaise). I like the raspberry a lot. Another normal filling, that I have never tried, is plum.

The ones at Loblaws/No Frills come in raspberry, blueberry and Bavarian (a fake-ish creme anglaise). I like the raspberry a lot. Another normal filling, that I have never tried, is plum.

I could go for either raspberry or blueberry. Plum? Maybe. But definitely those two.

it is not just plum but yummily spiced.

That might work. However, plums are generally my least favorite of the prunus genus of tree fruits (which also includes peaches, nectarines, cherries, apricots and, oddly, almonds).

Back