COVID-19 and Skepticism with studies, orders, guidelines

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChemGal

One with keen eye
Pronouns
She/Her/Her
A place to post anything about COVID-19 that doesn't match up with scientific studies, public health orders, suggested guidelines, etc.

This is one that I don't expect to stay true as we learn more.
To me, logically it just doesn't make sense based on what we see with flu, cold, etc. viruses.
I believe overall kids likely have less virus in them - smaller bodies. It also seems reasonable that those with mild/asymptomatic forms of the illness usually have less virus they spew to infect others. Kids also tend to have smaller lung capacities so less aerosals overall, and they likely don't travel as far.
So if you want to take an adult very sick with COVID-19 and a child not very sick with it and purposely try to infect as many as possible, yes, I think the adult would infect more. Based on typical behaviour though, where people act in ways not to purposely get people sick, I think children could be a greater risk, barring things like intubation of the adult which is quite risky. Plus again, the logic follows with other viruses.

It would be really nice if kids are ineffective spreads, but I am concerned about super spreading events connected to schools.

Since kids are generally germ magnets and machines, it's hard to believe they don't/won't spread covid. I suppose school will tell us more. That will be either good or bad.

I guess the parents are worried about social distancing on the buses...up to 80 kids close together before they even get to school where they can social distance safely.
Also, I see some of the parents are getting together to form smalll "pods" of kids and are hiring teachers to teach their kids.

I guess the parents are worried about social distancing on the buses...up to 80 kids close together before they even get to school where they can social distance safely.
Also, I see some of the parents are getting together to form smalll "pods" of kids and are hiring teachers to teach their kids.
It's nice they can do that. It's not realistic for everyone and kids from poor families would lose out on their educations or carry higher risk.

If there are too many kids homeschooled how are they going to get a broad education - and diverse social experience that aids their development? Not to mention, most parents are just not cut out - either they don't have the time or they don't have the knowledge and skills - to ensure they get educated - unless they're teachers. It is pretty sad. This is where I am torn. I think weighing the risk of uneducated kids vs. the risk of covid spreading among kids who may get mild symptoms...I think uneducated kids is a bigger long term risk. They can be kept away from high risk people much easier. Especially elementary aged kids. They don't have adult responsibilities that put them out in the world the same way. Those who live with high risk people maybe need to take extra precautions and not attend brick and mortar school.

Last edited:
They are. They're cute ones. They tend to rub their snotty little noses and put their sticky little hands on everything - and not cover their sneezes. It's not their fault. They have short attention spans and they just do that. It's not cute to give covid to grandma, or mom with a medical condition, and then she dies in a couple of weeks, though.

If there are too many kids homeschooled how are they going to get a broad education - and diverse social experience that aids their development? Not to mention, most parents are just not cut out - either they don't have the time or they don't have the knowledge and skills - to ensure they get educated - unless they're teachers. It is pretty sad. This is where I am torn. I think weighing the risk of uneducated kids vs. the risk of covid spreading among kids who may get mild symptoms...I think uneducated kids is a bigger long term risk. They can be kept away from high risk people much easier. Especially elementary aged kids. They don't have adult responsibilities that put them out in the world the same way. Those who live with high risk people maybe need to take extra precautions and not attend brick and mortar school.
There is an uptick in homeschool but most of the numbers here appear to be online schooling for those not doing in-person, not home schooling. Socialization does happen online and with cohort families.

There is an uptick in homeschool but most of the numbers here appear to be online schooling for those not doing in-person, not home schooling. Socialization does happen online and with cohort families.

Online learning can be a nice addition to hel0 reduce the number of students in the sticks and bricks school. I know of one grade 6 student who will be doing online work for three days and will be in the school two days. She is the kind of kid who can do this well. When she and others like her do this, there may be more opportunities to teach the rest in the buildings.

I was listening to an interview with the BC education critic who happens to someone I know. He's been a teacher and has an MEd. He suggested this is an excellent time to really be creative with how we educate young people. He stated we've been doing it the same way forever, when there can many other ways. It was quite interesting and frankly, exciting.

A new study out of Sweden published in the prestigious journal Cell, suggests that scientists may now have an answer to one of the most crucial lingering questions about COVID-19: whether people exposed to the virus develop long-term immunity:

The authors of the new study examined blood from 206 people in Sweden who had COVID-19 with varying degrees of severity. They found that regardless of whether a person had recovered from a mild or severe case, they still developed a robust T-cell response. Even coronavirus patients who did not test positive for antibodies developed memory T cells, the results showed.

And when the media falsely pronounces there is no long-term immunity to COVID-19, they are deceptively focusing only on the short-term antibody response, not the long-term T-cell response.

And, yes, you read that correctly — if you’ve ever had the common cold, you’ve developed T-cell immunity to COVID-9 and all other coronaviruses — and that’s exactly why it’s important for your immune system to be constantly exposed to these common viruses — it strengthens your immune system.

Face masks, social distancing, and lockdowns weaken our immune systems and make it less likely we can easily fight off these common flu viruses when we are exposed — especially young children whose immune systems are still developing.

But don’t worry, the media will dig up an ‘expert’ who will refute these new findings and explain to the gullible public why T-cell immunity for coronavirus is BAD for you

Online learning can be a nice addition to hel0 reduce the number of students in the sticks and bricks school. I know of one grade 6 student who will be doing online work for three days and will be in the school two days. She is the kind of kid who can do this well. When she and others like her do this, there may be more opportunities to teach the rest in the buildings.

I was listening to an interview with the BC education critic who happens to someone I know. He's been a teacher and has an MEd. He suggested this is an excellent time to really be creative with how we educate young people. He stated we've been doing it the same way forever, when there can many other ways. It was quite interesting and frankly, exciting.
That's good - alternating like that.

In the Soviet Union, activists were sent to state psychiatric wards. According to the state, any and all opposition to government policy was considered a form of mental illness.

Stephanie Buck writes about the treatment of the “social parasite” Joseph Brodsky.

In 1963, Russian poet Joseph Brodsky was seized and sent to a mental institution… Hospital workers pumped him with tranquilizers and repeatedly woke him during the night. He was given cold baths and wrapped in wet canvas that shrank and cut his skin while drying.

German lawyer Beate Bahner was not tortured like Brodsky ... However, that does not make her arrest and forced confinement in a mental institution any less egregious.

Violent committal to psychiatric clinic
On Easter Monday, a recording was uploaded of a calm 12½-minute voicemail left by Ms Bahner for her sister, describing a massively brutal swoop on her home on Easter Sunday evening (12 April). The voice in the recording matches a previous video recording of Ms Bahner (ironically, one in which she describes nursing liability law). In the voicemail, Ms Bahner recounts:
I went into the garage and found a car following me suspiciously. After standing in front of my car for ten minutes, I sensed something was not right and ran back out of the garage. Stupidly, I didn’t run into the house, because my secretary had gone to get her car on Voss-strasse and she just didn’t show up again … I asked a passing car to call the police for me. They simply kept refusing to [respond] for five minutes, and then I realised it had been a huge mistake to call the police, because at the moment I’m Number One Enemy of the State.
When the police did arrive, I told them I felt threatened. They brought the handcuffs out and pushed me to the ground with massive force. They kept me sitting in their car for ten minutes with my hands cuffed behind my back, then they drove me around the corner to the psychiatric clinic. There were four police officers there, three nurses, and a doctor, though she only arrived ten minutes later.
I asked to be allowed to sit down and was shown to a bench. Then I asked to have the handcuffs taken off, since it was actually I who had requested police protection. But instead, I was thrown to the floor again, having my head hurled onto the stone floor from a metre (3 ft) height, which nobody reacted to. Then they asked me whether I wanted a face mask, which of course I declined.
Because I refused to move, they physically carried me to the doctor, who asked me “why I felt threatened”, even though they all know perfectly well who I am. I was told I would not be given a lawyer.
She goes on to describe in the voicemail her unfamiliarity with the psychiatric facility to which she was taken, even though she is a local lawyer who apparently had to visit clients in that clinic in the past:
Then I was forced to spend the night lying on the floor in some high-security Guantanamo psychiatric clinic, which I didn’t recognise; it’s been renovated. There was no toilet, no sink, though they did allow me water, and there was a bell I could ring, though they ignored it after the third time I pressed it.
After a further ten minutes of description of how Ms Bahner was “upgraded” from the floor of an isolation cell to a proper furnished room with good nurses, she ends the voicemail to her sister with the observation:
I have been held here for 20 hours now. If people don’t finally wake up, this is going to turn into the worst régime of terror ever … We are being tyrannised by evil, evil, evil forces. Last night, I was petrified of being killed, of being forcefully injected. I am fearful of being disappeared … Because I had been without a mobile phone at the time I was arrested, I had no way of contacting anyone … I have a summons for Wednesday [15 April] because I allegedly breached Article 111 of the Penal Code, “Incitement to Criminal Acts”. I called upon people to demonstrate! Freedom of speech was the most fundamental constitutional right in Germany, and in the space of three months it has become a criminal act.

The Corona Extra-Parliamentary Inquiry Committee was established to investigate all things that pertain to the new coronavirus such as the severity of the virus, and whether or not the actions taken by governments around the world, and in this case the German government, are justified and not causing more harm than good.

As the Corona-Extra-Parliamentary Inquiry Committee, we will investigate why these restrictive measures were imposed upon us in our country as part of COVID-19, why people are suffering now and whether there is proportionality of the measures to this disease caused by the SARS-COV-2 virus. We have serious doubts that these measures are proportionate. This needs to be examined, and since the parliaments – neither the opposition parties nor the ruling parties – have not convened a committee and it is not even planned, it is high time that we took this into our own hands. We will invite and hear experts here in the Corona speaker group. These are experts from all areas of life: Medicine, social affairs, law, economics and many more. (source)

You can access the full english transcripts on the organizations website if interested.

This group has been giving multiple conferences in Germany, in one of the most recent, Dr. Heiko Schöning, one of the organizations leaders, stated that “We have a lot of evidence that it (the new coronavirus) is a fake story all over the world.” To put it in context, he wasn’t referring to the virus being fake, but simply that it’s no more dangerous than the seasonal flu (or just as dangerous) and that there is no justification for the measures being taken to combat it.

CS Lewis: “When the whole world is running towards a cliff, he who is running in the opposite direction appears to have lost his mind”

I'll put this here because it's a side conversation. I just went past a triple sized school field where two games or practices were happening. The one closest to me, I'm pretty sure looked like rugby. A white oblong football shaped ball was being passed down a sort of gauntlet and then people were crowding to get it. Most of one team had rugby uniforms on - I'm 99% that was the game. It's been awhile since I saw a rugby game. And it was adults, not highschool kids. I didn't see any tackles or whatever they call the dog-piles (dog-piles) but there was crowding and shoulder checks. That seems like a bad idea right now. Rugby is a rough game and I don't like it, but covid makes it more dangerous.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back