Canada's new anti-spam law

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Hilary

Member at Large
I'm being challenged as I sift through all the information about Canada's new anti-spam law (CASL) that comes into legislation beginning tomorrow (July 1). It's a lot of boring reading. Does anyone have a good sum-up of how it affects churches? Our newsletters (as well as time-sensitive announcements like upcoming funeral services) are sent by email (not MailChimp or the like).

I don't work in my church's office. I am just surprised that I have not received an "opt-in" email to confirm my desire for continued email correspondence. Is this one of the exceptions that applies to charities? Or should I be alerting our office staff that they need to get their ducks in a row?

In what ways are YOU being affected by CASL?

For me, it's just been a whole bunch of opt-in emails. I got a free movie from red-box for opting in :)
Hopefully someone can give you the answer about churches!

I believe churches may be covered under the exemption for charities but cannot confirm that (the seminar I attended was geared more to business so glossed over this exemption). Even if they are not, you are allowed to assume "implied consent" for anyone who is a member or employee of an organization or with whom you have a current business relationship (have done business with them in the last two years) so any of those exemptions could come into play as well. Hopefully, someone in a church has looked into the ramifications further.

thank you! I knew I just had to ask the right crowd. Did your office staff (or you, Gord) have any trouble transitioning?

we don't generally do mass e-mails and for those which we do are because those people have asked for that piece (Annual Report for example) electronically.

Besides, all the e-mail addresses we have we have because those people have a pre-existing relationship with us. So CASL does not apply

we don't generally do mass e-mails and for those which we do are because those people have asked for that piece (Annual Report for example) electronically.

Besides, all the e-mail addresses we have we have because those people have a pre-existing relationship with us. So CASL does not apply

Exactly. If a church was collecting, say, emails from visitors and doing a mass mailout of invitations to "Come back to church Sunday" or something, then they might have to be concerned about CASL. As long as you are just mailing out internal documents and information to registered members (e.g. we do a weekly broadcast of the announcements from the bulletin and occasional board-related blasts) you should be okay.

I'm glad that we're all understanding it the same way. A lot of the "summaries" I've read seem to contain a lot of uncertainty.

Back