Can You Be Rich and Be a Christian?

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

People can work hard and get nowhere, be quite unlucky, and God doesn't seem to get very involved in their material success. We all rely on other people or we'd be driving on dirt roads and not buying groceries. People organize themselves into communities - some more helpful than others. It's always a collective effort. It's quite an ableist phrase - mistaken for gospel. And the Prosperity Gospel that says if you're rich God has blessed you (no matter how shady the business that created the wealth apparently) - which is how I interpret God helps those who help themselves. That somehow God likes self centredness and greed. I don't believe that. There's also the biblical phrase about God causing the sun to shine and the rain to fall on the just and the unjust alike. And of course, the Beatitudes. Those seem to indicate a more humble and generous way of life. As do other teachings of Jesus. One can live a vibrant and even comfortable life - with style even - with little as long as they have enough, and a spirit of creativity. The problem is consumer society dictating what we should have at various stages of life compared to others. Which is false, and dehumanizing. Also, housing costs and shortages mean lots of people pay more than 2/3 of their income just on rent, if they can find a home. That shouldn't be the case and can be a downer after prolonged periods.

And one can work themselves into a sickly green ... and still get nowhere!

Why are we discussing this? For uncounted thousands of years before and after Christianity we have devoted thousands of years to murdering, starving the poor. It was emperors,, then Kings, and now the super rich.
Today, the super rich send the rest of us out to kill people for their profits. What do you think the horror of Latin America is? Of Africa? Of the wars we fight against children? Hitler was not an unusual figure. The old, British Empire was actually far worse than Hitler's Germany. And the American wars - which have been rampant from the days of the Pilgrim Fathers to today's mass murder of civilians - and with the starvation and murder even of children in the millions -closely resembles Hitler's Germany (though we prefer not to see that.)
Take a look at Youtube for the horror of tent cities on the streets of Los Angeles. Meanwhile, the super rich pay virtually no taxes, and send out the poor to kill and die for them.
It is quite possible that the super rich are going to send us into the greatest war this world has ever seen. As it is, we are deliberately starving children to death in Venezuela - and it's quite deliberate. We are killing them in Yemen. in fact, we are deliberately starving and bombing children all over the world.
Even in the U.S., millions die for lack of medical care because the super rich see medical care as essentially a money-making proposition for them. To hell with the poor.

And the super wealthy who do all this are, most of them, Christians. In two thousand years we have made no Christian progress at all - except in hypcrisy.

Even today, as most Americans are suffering as never before, the biggest item of spending is 'defence" whose major purpose is to enrich the super rich even uncounted millions of Americans dying in he streets.

Can the rich be Christian? Well, they haven't been for two thousand years.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Graeme Decarie that post is an horrific mess to read on a phone. Have not checked it on my desktop browser yet. Okay if I edit it to fix the formatting? Will be careful not to touch content.

You're quite right. I don't know what's wrong with my computer. I'm having terrible times with it - and I'm taking in for serious treatment. (In fact, I had never pushed Post reply on this.
Do what you like with it. I'm heading for the computer repair shop to see what sort of repairs are required - for the computer or for me.

You're quite right. I don't know what's wrong with my computer. I'm having terrible times with it - and I'm taking in for serious treatment. (In fact, I had never pushed Post reply on this.
Do what you like with it. I'm heading for the computer repair shop to see what sort of repairs are required - for the computer or for me.

Tried just changing up the mouse and/or keyboard. Weird random things happening could be one of them starting to go.

Foreign semites ...

Recall to the rich the common folk are memos likely to be sacrificed to allow elite profits in a great game of war ...

Then the thoughts of it cause another conflict in the imaginary domain as abstract! The Shadow prevails ...

BetteTheRed ---you said -----'m sorry, unsafe, but you don't convince me that you have the Real Answer.

I say----- I didn't give an answer ----I ask if you knew what James was really saying in his statement ---
Your answer doesn't surprise me -------Oh --you don't have to be sorry ------The scripture gives the Real Answer all by itself ----but alas--- many just don't want to be bothered reading God's real answer they would rather make up their own answer to suit what they want it to say or mean ------

My view here
Many use that Proverb ----the Lord helps those who help themselves -----unfortunately God didn't say that -but many think He did -----it was -Benjamin Franklin who said that and he took it from someone else who said it ------

As far as giving is better than receiving goes ----this is a true statement but many are deceived by it --cause for one they may be giving to receive something back ----we are to give without expecting anything back -----our Human Nature is flawed and most do expect something in return -----we are for selling our giving -----not really giving without strings attached -----our motives are for self gain ----or many give to be Praised by others -----puff themselves up --or they give thinking their works will save them ------all this is dead faith which produce dead works cause we do from our flawed nature for our feeling good reward -----God id not the focus ----

It is God in us who inbirths the right Faith in us which propels us to give without strings attached to do His good works ----all for His benefit of advancing His kingdom and giving Him the Glory ----this is true Faith that produce true works of giving ----

True Faith in a God inspired giver will give out of their compassion to serve and please God ----and God approves and accepts their giving -----

Ah, but if I give in no expectation of any return at all, and "you" give with the expectation of eternal life, whose is the purer motive?

My computer is fixed! Christianity is saved.
Now, I'm writing my blog - and I have an article with implications for Christianity. It's from The Manchester Guardian, arguably the best newspaper in the world.
The world's billionaires are now building shelters for themselves that go down 5 stories and better - and with every comfort and luxury in them. They even have their own super-super markets down with them. And medical care facilities just for billionaires. Check out The Guardian for August 1. Meanwhile, millions of us peasants have to rely on tents on sidewalks.
Tell me more about the wonderful progress brought by Christianity. (the shelters of the rich will surely have clergy, too. Killers like wealthy American presidents are, after all, avid church-goers.)

BetteTheRed -----the True Holy Spirit filled Giver is already saved and has eternal life ------they are secure in their eternal home base ----and give because of their Agape for God ------not because they feel they have to -----it is a want to give to please the creator -----The Blessings God bestows on us is not for us --it is to Bless others --to help others ---when God can trust us to give out what He blesses us with ---He then sends us another blessing to give out to help another -----we can never out give God -----if He can't trust you to give out His Blessing He gives you to one in need ---His blessings will cease ------

Luke 6:38 (AMP)
38 Give, and it will be given to you. They will pour into your lap a good measure—pressed down, shaken together, and running over [with no space left for more]. For with the standard of measurement you use [when you do good to others], it will be measured to you in return.”

The problem is, with real actual Nazis, there’s a real chance that you and I and Nutmeg - and anyone they decide is not their ideal human, can’t actually live in it. Literally. Can’t. Live. In. It. They might use you as long as it serves them, though. But , and stop promoting their adjacent red pill baiting MoFos. I know you’ll try to dog me here, more than you do anyone else. Don’t. Just leave me alone if you feel that urge, and don’t act like a weasel. I was done with your “perspectacles” over two years ago. I figured out the game. If you want to be my actual friend, don’t play it with me.

Again, you should get that paranoia and sense of being persecuted looked at?

If you want to dog yourself or play with yourself and being Mcartheist Adjacient (your quote above "stop promoting their adjacent red pill baiting MoFos.."...none of us can read your mind, and we dont have a list of people you dislike because of your politics) thatz all up to you.

If you want genuine human to human interaction, you know where to find me, hun.

Ps your quote "....people will need to drive the change and be the change, though. Inc..." it is evident that you dont think all people should b involved in the great reset decision? So then who gets excluded and why? Thatz all.

Pps perspectacles i picked up from Toyota Carolla here.

Ppps.
#MutualAid
#BeNotAfraid
#SystemicWhimsey
#JoyPrivilege

Michael Brooks was a decent person. He also wrote a book dedicated to exposing the falsehoods of the alt-right and IDW people you like to quote. You can' sneak in views from white supremacists, IDW, and their alt-right influencers and then use Brook's name. If he were alive and talking to you, Inanna, he'd give you a stern education.

He also said to callers, if your friends still insist on listening to Peterson and the alt-right, and they are intelligent people, and they've heard the arguments against it - get new friends. He wasn't of the belief that one has to keep alt-right friends, just because.

I obviously can't change your mind. I think nearly everybody here now knows that when it comes to politics, I'm not paranoid, I don't have a "persecution complex" and I'm not McCarthiest or close. Stop gaslighting.

Last edited:
Again, you should get that paranoia and sense of being persecuted looked at?

If you want to dog yourself or play with yourself and being Mcartheist Adjacient (your quote above "stop promoting their adjacent red pill baiting MoFos.."...none of us can read your mind, and we dont have a list of people you dislike because of your politics) thatz all up to you.

If you want genuine human to human interaction, you know where to find me, hun.

Ps your quote "....people will need to drive the change and be the change, though. Inc..." it is evident that you dont think all people should b involved in the great reset decision? So then who gets excluded and why? Thatz all.

Pps perspectacles i picked up from Toyota Carolla here.

Ppps.
#MutualAid
#BeNotAfraid
#SystemicWhimsey
#JoyPrivilege
Maybe you need to see a therapist and stop pretending you are one.

Look, l let's not kid ourselves. All animals kill other animals to eat(just like us). That will occasionally spill over into fights - but not usually. Homo Sapiens is the the only one to routinely murder it's own kind. And it usually does so purely out of greed. We are now very close to the most terrible war in history. And the evil ones, to a considerable degree, are the Christians. That's reality. And the Christian churches have not made the slightest dent in that. Indeed, they have often celebrated mass murder and plunder carried out - as in the British Empire, the American Empire - and France and Belgium. There is very little connection between our behaviour and the teaching of Jesus.

Graeme, I'm with you on "all humans". I find it difficult to find Christianity particularly culpable compared to other major religions, although one might argue that much of Buddhism (Myanmar, and to a certain extent China, excepted) and most of Judaism (except for, ironically, Israel) might be a tiny wee bit less violent.

Look, l let's not kid ourselves. All animals kill other animals to eat(just like us). That will occasionally spill over into fights - but not usually. Homo Sapiens is the the only one to routinely murder it's own kind. And it usually does so purely out of greed. We are now very close to the most terrible war in history. And the evil ones, to a considerable degree, are the Christians. That's reality. And the Christian churches have not made the slightest dent in that. Indeed, they have often celebrated mass murder and plunder carried out - as in the British Empire, the American Empire - and France and Belgium. There is very little connection between our behaviour and the teaching of Jesus.

Perhaps it is the subtle sacred portion ... driven in the sans ... beneath the surface ... vanishing point in the bicameral construct?

Post driver ... Ide follows from before Hans! Reachers ...

Why don’t they give away what they aren’t using, and still live comfortably, then? They were “gifted” with knowledge of how to make scads of money. At least some of it if not most of it was luck...right place, right time, right circumstances, right contacts...and nobody is self-made...so why do they feel entitled to hoard what they’re not using?

They may actually be gifted with talents that make money in this society, and also traits which allow them to do so.

I think what you mention about giving away is an important part of happiness. If you have enough to give away and help others, that adds to happiness. It feels good to help. Tithing or doing more than 10% is something that people can and do do.

In addition, if one has money, one might decide to not workfor money, but, instead work for others. It could be volunteering, visiting, cooking, caring....any number of things.

Not having to take that 2nd shift at the local part-time place, and instead spend time doing things that help others will surely make one more happy.

Back