Can we please stop misusing the name "Karen"?

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moot point again, Northwind

Of course, it challenges your narrative so is moot. You're spreading misinformation when you suggest "Karen" was the creation of black feminist women.

Of course, he’s not going to call her names while she is being threatening. If someone in an unhinged state had you physically cornered and was threatening you, would you call them names? Would you tell them they were acting like an unreasonable idiot, at that moment? Would you call them a dick? Or a bitch? If your life was threatened? Of course not!

That's not even close to what I was suggesting. I admire the way Mr Cooper handled the situation after the fact. Of course, during the incident he maintained a calm presence and level head. I have no idea what made you go off on this tangent.

It would appear that the opinion and response of a black man holds no weight for you.

To call her a Karen after the fact, to get attention to the problem. I see why they did it, and it’s not a big deal to use the name

The deal, as I quoted is that it gives her anonymity. Her name Amy Cooper needs to be used. Not a stupid nickname.

Who was BBQ Becky and others who got stupid nicknames? Can you name any of their real names?

Of course, it challenges your narrative so is moot. You're spreading misinformation when you suggest "Karen" was the creation of black feminist women.

That's not even close to what I was suggesting. I admire the way Mr Cooper handled the situation after the fact. Of course, during the incident he maintained a calm presence and level head. I have no idea what made you go off on this tangent.

It would appear that the opinion and response of a black man holds no weight for you.

The deal, as I quoted is that it gives her anonymity. Her name Amy Cooper needs to be used. Not a stupid nickname.

Who was BBQ Becky and others who got stupid nicknames? Can you name any of their real names?
It’s a name/ tool adopted by black feminist women to point out entitled white women behaviour. “Miss Anne” was the same thing - it was an inside insult, for good reason, easily identified an attitude. Why not let them be the arbiters of how it’s used?

I don’t know BBQ Becky’s name but i’m sure people who need to know, now do. It doesn’t make any difference to me what her real name was. There are BBQ Becky’s everywhere. The behaviour was pointed out and the generic name made it stand out better than her real name would have - to identify an unfortunately universal attitude that needs to change. Using her real name would not have pointed out her behaviour any better. In fact, it could be argued, why even give her the satisfaction of giving her real name any attention at all? It’s not really about BBQ Becky, or Miss Anne, or the original Karen...it’s about a cultural attitude that is oppressive, sometimes to the point of putting black people’s lives in danger.

You are really stuck on your narrative aren't you Kimmio. :rolleyes: Well, have a nice day. There's no point in me continuing since yours is the only opinion that matters here.

Are you going to pitch this argument to Chris and Melody Cooper? I dare you!

You are really stuck on your narrative aren't you Kimmio. :rolleyes: Well, have a nice day. There's no point in me continuing since yours is the only opinion that matters here.
...you just don’t like that I’m sticking to my opinion. I don’t think you’re making solid points. Again, I dare you to pitch this argument to Chris and Melody Cooper. What do you think would happen? Do you think they would agree with you?

It doesn’t matter who invented it. Black feminist women have claimed it. They could revive Miss Anne or use Becky, or Amy for that matter. The point is the same.

I am sure they would be more interested in a conversation than you are.
Really? If you started by telling them, like in this thread, that it’s an insult to people named Karen. And if you told them that it was a stupid nickname that didn’t do anything to call out the behaviour. You think you’d get a pleasant reaction?

For one thing, Chris is the most well known person to use the moniker for the purpose of calling out racist white woman behaviour. You wouldn’t even know who he was, otherwise. And when you make your arguments about the use of the Karen moniker - you are acting as though he didn’t use it - when he deliberately did (and good on him). Go ahead and criticize him for it! See what happens.

(What happens is you would be the entitled white woman figure. Arbiter of all that is good and holy. And your points would be used as an excuse for entitled white women who think it’s so unfair. And the right wing racists would love you for it. That’s exactly how they’re spinning this - their spin is that either Karen is “unfair” to People’s named Karen - or the really dirty trickster propagandists try to subvert the subversion and use Karen to call out “SJW” women.”)

Last edited:
Whatever you think. You again magically know my motivation without even reading what I've written. Good day.
I have read it. I continue to disagree with you. Apparently that’s a problem for you. I’m not saying you are personally motivated to be an entitled white woman. I don’t think that. I’m suggesting that the inherent attitude and ignorance that is still there a little bit in all of us, would probably come through if you made the exact same points that you and others are making here, directly to Chris and Melody Cooper. It would call attention to that inherent entitlement (in all of us that needs working on).

Karen, is an excellent tool for truth telling, actually, in a subversive way. It’s brilliant.

Last edited:
For your information, there’s someone temporarily in my life right now who absolutely thinks I’m a Karen (erroneously I think because my feelings are based on not having mutually compatible behaviour irrespective of race and ethnicity. It has nothing to do with it. It has to do with bringing friends over at the height of covid restrictions and whose turn it is to do some clean-up, and taking out the garbage and putting the proper things into the proper receptacles so somebody else doesn’t have to do it, and with general common sense communication about sharing a space. Like, let the other person know if you are going to need the bathroom for an hour so they can go pee first - and perhaps don’t take that long at peak times. I talked to my landlord about some of the issues I was having. I did try to talk to her multiple times, but she just ignored me - now she hates me for “telling on her”. Even though nothing happened. My landlady would not be mean to her - she doesn’t do mean anyway, and that’s not what it was about. And, I would have the same feelings no matter who acted the same way. Also, I feel she thinks I’m old and out of touch (which may be true) - and I don’t even know how to have a conversation with her, because she’s made herself unapproachable. I feel like she’s young and projecting that I’m a “Karen” type because she doesn’t want to help out around here - that’s boring mundane stuff- and I get that because I remember going through that myself when I was younger. Some things were just not a priority and I certainly wouldn’t have listened to someone in her forties, twice my age, who wasn’t even my mom. (Bad match by my landlords basically. And I am not happy about it.) But I’m still ultimately on her side. I’m a middle aged disabled woman who doesn’t want to do all the work or be the only one taking care to consider the other person around here, because it’s exhausting - and she’s a young woman who doesn’t want to do any of it. So maybe she and I will never see eye to eye, and this is a short term arrangement so it won’t be an issue soon - but that doesn’t mean I cannot use this as a time to self reflect and figure out what Karen tendencies I do need to change.

Last edited:
There re cush personality developers in padded space ... no room for learning ... allows for the word autonomous, isolated and disconnected!

Stand alones until facing it all alone ... in 100 years of sole etude?

So, the concept of women being target of shaming, makes me think of menstruation, and the shame that has carried with that normal bodily function.
The concept of "unclean".

Generation upon generation of shame for something one can't control.

Then there is miscarriages. Again the hidden item. The shame, the guilt.

So, maybe this "karen" thing is just an extension.

So, the concept of women being target of shaming, makes me think of menstruation, and the shame that has carried with that normal bodily function.
The concept of "unclean".

Generation upon generation of shame for something one can't control.

Then there is miscarriages. Again the hidden item. The shame, the guilt.

So, maybe this "karen" thing is just an extension.
I think you try to understand social problems sometimes, but...Huge stretch there. Now you are shaming black people for that. Do you think Chris and Melody Cooper saying it was an extension of menstruation shame?

I want proof that Christian Cooper has used the term.
He gave his video to his sister to post with his permission on his behalf. He never asked her to apologize for saying it on his behalf. He never issued a statement about her use of Karen, himself. Unless he does that, he “used” the term. But if anyone tries to tell him that he or his sister should apologize, I think they would justifiably be told off by a lot of people. I was going to use the term, there would be “backlash” - then I had an image flash of where that word came from and who already suffered it.

I think the entitled white women lost the Karen argument and we should just shut up and listen and learn now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back