Anybody watching Baseball?

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Redbaron

The Legend Continues
Reaction score
Alexander Cartwright (credited with creating the first set of rules for baseball) must be spinning in his grave by now.

revsdd

Reaction score
I have watched a couple of the Jays games so far. Baseball is not my favourite sport (I'll probably pay more attention to the NBA and NHL once they start up again) but it did represent something different. I don't mind the DH, but I really dislike the new extra inning rule of starting the inning with a runner on 2nd base. That's just dumb. Recorded fan noise and cardboard fan cutouts I can take or leave.

Having said that I think baseball's plan to have teams travelling across the US right now is insane. The NBA and NHL might make it work with bubbles as long as the players stick to the rules, but as far as I know baseball isn't even requiring the players to stick to their hotels when they're not playing. It's encouraged but not required apparently. The Canadian government made the right decision not allowing the Blue Jays to play in Toronto. The Marlins and Phillies are shut down for a week because of infections. The Blue Jays and Yankees and Orioles and one other team i can't think of already have their schedules disrupted by that. It's crazy.

Major League Soccer has to make a decision soon. They're conducting their season-restarting tournament in a bubble in Orlando, but when the "real" regular season starts again apparently the plan is to travel - but there are 3 Canadian teams in MLS, so how they'll work that I'm not sure.

Carolla

wondering & wandering
Reaction score
The Canadian government made the right decision not allowing the Blue Jays to play in Toronto.
I sure do agree with you on this! It's ridiculous that serious restrictions are not imposed on the players - in terms of being out and about, such as the other leagues have put in place. Why do you think baseball is treating this so much less seriously?

revsdd

Reaction score
I sure do agree with you on this! It's ridiculous that serious restrictions are not imposed on the players - in terms of being out and about, such as the other leagues have put in place. Why do you think baseball is treating this so much less seriously?
From what I've heard there was a plan to have baseball played in a "bubble" in Arizona but it kind of fell apart. The logistics of scheduling so many games in one place was challenging, Arizona was becoming a hot spot for COVID and apparently the Players Association didn't like the bubble idea - being away from their families for so long. I know at least one of the BLue Jays players publicly objected to constantly being in quarantine for the entire summer in Toronto (back when playing in Toronto was still an option) and didn't seem to grasp that just by going to the US for a road trip they'd have no choice but to do a 14 day quarantine when they returned to Canada. So it wasn't all just the owers not imposing restrictions. It seems the baseball players weren't as willing to accept restrictions as their NBA and NHL counterparts.

Luce NDs

Reaction score
Imagine the implications of complexity on a simple one-line psyche ... thus threads create large fabrics ...