Acts 1:6-14 Jesus Ascends; the Disciples Await the Advocate/Spirit

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

@Mystic I suggest you re-read BPoTW 101 and consider whether your posts are in accordance with the guidelines in it. I have welcomed your insights in the BPoTW threads but not your penchant for derailing them with your negative posts. I am giving you a reply ban in hopes of getting this one back on track.

May I suggest that others refrain from further discussion of Mystic's post and return to discussing the thread.

Discussion of my actions should happen in WC2 News & Business, please.

Reread the first post. I listened to an interview on CBC with the author of a book about how eight plagues shaped human history. One of them happened in the third century. Until that time Christianity was a minor religion in the Roman Empire. None of the other religions were able to offer explanation and hope for responding to those plagues that Christianity did. This led to the blossoming of the Christian religion.

That can explain the rise to prominence of Christianity at the end of the third century and the beginning of the Fourth. What explains the growth of a movement grom st best a couple of hundred people to about 100,000 people? Especially when their leader was executed.

I believe there was some kind of Pentecost event, even if I do not know what it was. While some point to dramatic powers of the Spirit as essential to the success of the church , I believe the power was a blend of agape love and understanding that hope for each of us lies in the well being of all of us. Other gifts and powers helped but that, I believe, was core.

I am disappointed when a person who claims to be filled with the Spirit persists in acting hatefully and choosing winning in their own minds over respectful engagement with others.

Is this not an advantage taken to defeat the despised ... those contrary to blind feints? Who would know different given the guides to toss out the tree of knowledge ... or perhaps someone who had fallen from one of those branches of knowledge ... limbo! It may be a cliff hanger ...

Bette comically throws in a kooky Trickster reference without explaining its relevance to Acts 1:14 and without realizing that modern psychology does not take the so-called Trickster archetype seriously. Then she reflects shamefully on UCCan by admitting that they don't stress Pentecost---a way of conceding their indifference to the spectacular event that birthed the church.

Despite the fact that Berserk Mystic cannot answer this, I feel compelled to defend my participation in/leadership of this thread and the two charges around my participation.

Firstly, "kooky Trickster" reference? Advocate, I assume? Jesus himself calls the Spirit the Advocate. And "modern psychology"? Isn't that something of an oxymoron for a quasi-science that changes its theories like I change my outfits?

Secondly, why does anyone attempting to have a civilized conversation with anyone else have to paint the other as "shameful"? Really? I stated that the roots of the UCCan (which you will remember were Methodist, Presbyterian and Congregationalist) seemed to make Pentecost not as much of a "high" holiday as other types of denominations, but that it was now more celebrated. Talked about a lady from a First Reformed congregation and their differing tradition. How is this reality shameful? That's it not identical to your beliefs/traditions?

Jesus indicated that his followers would receive power when the Spirit came. I think he was addressing the group. I see the power as something shared with the whole community, not as something to be grabbed, or hoarded to oneself. Those sharing the power are called to be welcoming committees, not doorkeepers.
Some of these thoughts are bubbling up from my thoughts on next week's lectionary readings, esp. Matt. 28:16-20.

Jesus indicated that his followers would receive power when the Spirit came. I think he was addressing the group. I see the power as something shared with the whole community, not as something to be grabbed, or hoarded to oneself. Those sharing the power are called to be welcoming committees, not doorkeepers.
Some of these thoughts are bubbling up from my thoughts on next week's lectionary readings, esp. Matt. 28:16-20.

There is power and then there is nemesis ... a more humble power I am led to believe but potentially debated by the insanely berserk ... a state of mind that may be indeterminate because of the irrationalities! Chaos of the alternate kind prevails ...

In reality all is chaos ... Nietzsche ... he was familiar with the darkest of displays ... Shadow of Elijah is ... well, you know the other part!

It may be stowed in the SHACK! There's a lot to a story that is not well observed by those that lead towards occult and black mystery! Resembles god as an unseen darkness ... falls under that mystical tree ... like Judah tricked by his sister-in-law expecting a proper upcoming!

Last edited:
Back