We Are Not Alone...

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Word is a humble god to those that hate critical thinking put to print ... do it so those that do not follow words won't know!

The illiterate fallacy? It won't read well in that community ...

I think the world needs a few more fearless truth tellers like Stone.

I feel vindicated hearing such things.

Stone is one of the movie-makers that allows me to relax with total suspension of disbelief ...

Such as:

Platoon
(1986)
  • Stone poured his personal experience as an infantryman in Vietnam into this harrowing war movie about a young soldier (Charlie Sheen) whose idealism is stripped away by the horrors of combat.
Wall Street (1987)
  • As cutthroat corporate raider Gordon Gekko, Michael Douglas delivered one of the most memorable movie monologues of the 1980s, crystallizing the Reagan-era zeitgeist with the line, “Greed, for lack of a better word, is good.”
Born on the Fourth of July (1989)
  • Stone returned to the subject of Vietnam with this drama about the life of wounded vet turned antiwar activist Ron Kovic, played by Tom Cruise. Delivering a performance light years removed from the gung-ho fighter pilot he’d played in “Top Gun,” Cruise earned his first Oscar nomination.
JFK (1991)
  • A dramatization of the events leading up to — and the alleged cover-up of — the assassination of President Kennedy, Stone’s film sparked a firestorm of controversy, with many saying it played too fast and loose with historical facts. Though it earned eight Oscar nominations and was a box office success, “JFK” also set Stone’s reputation in some people’s minds as a cinematic bomb-thrower and a purveyor of conspiracy theories.
Here's what Oliver Stone had to say about the making of JFK:
  • “I was naïve. I thought the movie would be appreciated as an alternative point of view to the orthodoxy, like all of my films had been. But in this case, I touched the third rail. I went out there for six months defending this thing. I’m not the kind of filmmaker who’s going to say, ‘It’s only a movie.’ I hate when people say that. It’s such a cop out.
Did I mention I feel vindicated hearing such things from Oliver Stone:
  • “Having been victimized by the description ‘conspiracy theorist’ so many times, I can tell you it’s a ridiculous accusation. Because we see the evidence of conspiracies all the time. Look at the news. Look at what’s going on. The U.S. government has been lying for years, and if you believe them, you’re a fool. And unfortunately, the lies get bigger.”
Natural Born Killers (1994)
  • Stone again courted controversy with this blood-soaked, ultra-stylized satire of the media’s obsession with sensationalistic violence.
Snowden (2016)
  • The story of the former NSA contractor who leaked classified information about the government’s spying program seemed tailor-made for a longtime provocateur like Stone. But despite that — or perhaps because of it — he was initially reluctant to sign
Here's what Oliver Stone had to say about making of Snowden:
  • “I’ve been burned. It was a hot potato and you don’t want to get involved in hot potatoes because they change all the time. There’s new news, there’s all kinds of scandal, somebody comes out of the woodwork, you have lawsuits. As a citizen, I care — sure, I care. It’s big. But I was in no mood for this.“The script was torture. [Co-writer Kieran Fitzgerald and I] ended up going over it and over it — it was coming out of our ears. It was everything horrible: Jargon. No car chases. No violence. Snowden doesn’t look like an active man and is more of an introvert. I wanted to make a political thriller. I loved ‘Enemy of the State’ and ‘War Games’ and the ‘Bourne’ series. This was not that, but we wanted to make it like that.
  • “Some people will not follow it. Some Americans don’t even know who Snowden is and don’t give a.... But a lot is at stake. So you trust the faces. You trust the story. Once I’m in, I’m in, and you go to the end of it.”
Long Story Short - Oliver Stone is one of my heroes - just one more quote:
  • “I’m not one of those people who doesn’t reflect,” I think it’s interesting to go back and probe. My life in movies is the growth of my consciousness. Every year was an expansion in some way.” -- Oliver Stone
Source (of cut and pastes included in this post):
Aging provocateur: 'Snowden' director Oliver Stone walks us through his storied filmography

I think the world needs a few more fearless truth tellers like Stone.

I feel vindicated hearing such things.

Stone is one of the movie-makers that allows me to relax with total suspension of disbelief ...

Such as:

Platoon
(1986)
  • Stone poured his personal experience as an infantryman in Vietnam into this harrowing war movie about a young soldier (Charlie Sheen) whose idealism is stripped away by the horrors of combat.
Wall Street (1987)
  • As cutthroat corporate raider Gordon Gekko, Michael Douglas delivered one of the most memorable movie monologues of the 1980s, crystallizing the Reagan-era zeitgeist with the line, “Greed, for lack of a better word, is good.”
Born on the Fourth of July (1989)
  • Stone returned to the subject of Vietnam with this drama about the life of wounded vet turned antiwar activist Ron Kovic, played by Tom Cruise. Delivering a performance light years removed from the gung-ho fighter pilot he’d played in “Top Gun,” Cruise earned his first Oscar nomination.
JFK (1991)
  • A dramatization of the events leading up to — and the alleged cover-up of — the assassination of President Kennedy, Stone’s film sparked a firestorm of controversy, with many saying it played too fast and loose with historical facts. Though it earned eight Oscar nominations and was a box office success, “JFK” also set Stone’s reputation in some people’s minds as a cinematic bomb-thrower and a purveyor of conspiracy theories.
Here's what Oliver Stone had to say about the making of JFK:
  • “I was naïve. I thought the movie would be appreciated as an alternative point of view to the orthodoxy, like all of my films had been. But in this case, I touched the third rail. I went out there for six months defending this thing. I’m not the kind of filmmaker who’s going to say, ‘It’s only a movie.’ I hate when people say that. It’s such a cop out.
Did I mention I feel vindicated hearing such things from Oliver Stone:
  • “Having been victimized by the description ‘conspiracy theorist’ so many times, I can tell you it’s a ridiculous accusation. Because we see the evidence of conspiracies all the time. Look at the news. Look at what’s going on. The U.S. government has been lying for years, and if you believe them, you’re a fool. And unfortunately, the lies get bigger.”
Natural Born Killers (1994)
  • Stone again courted controversy with this blood-soaked, ultra-stylized satire of the media’s obsession with sensationalistic violence.
Snowden (2016)
  • The story of the former NSA contractor who leaked classified information about the government’s spying program seemed tailor-made for a longtime provocateur like Stone. But despite that — or perhaps because of it — he was initially reluctant to sign
Here's what Oliver Stone had to say about making of Snowden:
  • “I’ve been burned. It was a hot potato and you don’t want to get involved in hot potatoes because they change all the time. There’s new news, there’s all kinds of scandal, somebody comes out of the woodwork, you have lawsuits. As a citizen, I care — sure, I care. It’s big. But I was in no mood for this.“The script was torture. [Co-writer Kieran Fitzgerald and I] ended up going over it and over it — it was coming out of our ears. It was everything horrible: Jargon. No car chases. No violence. Snowden doesn’t look like an active man and is more of an introvert. I wanted to make a political thriller. I loved ‘Enemy of the State’ and ‘War Games’ and the ‘Bourne’ series. This was not that, but we wanted to make it like that.
  • “Some people will not follow it. Some Americans don’t even know who Snowden is and don’t give a.... But a lot is at stake. So you trust the faces. You trust the story. Once I’m in, I’m in, and you go to the end of it.”
Long Story Short - Oliver Stone is one of my heroes - just one more quote:
  • “I’m not one of those people who doesn’t reflect,” I think it’s interesting to go back and probe. My life in movies is the growth of my consciousness. Every year was an expansion in some way.” -- Oliver Stone
Source (of cut and pastes included in this post):
Aging provocateur: 'Snowden' director Oliver Stone walks us through his storied filmography

Thanks for this. Nicely found and nicely presented.

Every day another person is discovering the path leading to truth. As they grow in maturity they will become something of a pain in the butt for those who imagine they hold the truth in their hands and repeat it with their mouths. In the way Socrates was a pain in the but in Athens. Jesus in Jerusalem. Not to condemn but to offer remedy for all who seek remedy with an undivided heart, mind and strength. Not there yet. Getting closer all the time. Most days I can sniff it. Some days I can almost taste it.

With the apostle I have no interest in shadow boxing. I am pressing into the unknown in the way an athlete presses to obtain the prize. Ever confident that the eternal one who started this in me will also bring it to maturity.

Oh, thanks for the strawberries and the tomato is happy in its new ground.

George

Back