The Work of the AGM

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Isn't it common to extend voting priveleges to adherents at an AGM? It requires a motion, a seconder and a vote of the membership to do so. I have seen it done many times. It might not apply to a congregational vote to call a minister though.
Thanks for the reminder Paradox3.
I will add that to the list of motions to have "ready to go" in my document.

I have never been involved, in any way, with a UCCan AGM. I thought I would go to one when I was attending but was told that it was for Members not mere attenders.

Last night was when the club we belong to should have had the AGM. Pres. didn't send out an agenda (nor was there one for any of the regular meetings since she has had the role). The Secretary sent the Minutes from the previous meeting, not the previous AGM. The Treasurer didn't have a complete Financial Report. Typical small town gong show! It is fortunate that we are a club and don't have legal obligations. Also typical is the fact that no one is wanting to step into a role and DO it. The members are apparently totally unaware that there are correct ways to run meetings. Always cracks me up when a Pres. or Chair asks if we have to vote on something.
Kay, I am appalled. Sigh.
1. Adherents, guests have ALWAYS be welcome to attend the AGM. It is a good way to learn more about the church. Exclusion is illogical.
2. Adherents are often extended the right to vote In accordance with The Manual of The United Church of Canada, Members who are entitled to vote at Congregational Meetings are those who have become Members by Confirmation, by Profession of Faith or by Transfer of Membership from other Congregations. With the consent of these Members, Adherents, as defined in The Manual of The United Church of Canada, may vote on temporal matters, which are also defined in The Manual.

Kay, I am appalled. Sigh.
1. Adherents, guests have ALWAYS be welcome to attend the AGM. It is a good way to learn more about the church. Exclusion is illogical.
2. Adherents are often extended the right to vote In accordance with The Manual of The United Church of Canada, Members who are entitled to vote at Congregational Meetings are those who have become Members by Confirmation, by Profession of Faith or by Transfer of Membership from other Congregations. With the consent of these Members, Adherents, as defined in The Manual of The United Church of Canada, may vote on temporal matters, which are also defined in The Manual.
ACtually point #3 has changed and adherents can be extended the right to vote on any matter upon a vote from the members present.

I would in fact question any congregation that tried to limit attendance to a Congregational meeting to members. SOunds like a power play by the members.
ANd regarding the thread as a whole, technically in the church we have and ACM, Annual Congregational Meeting rather than an AGM. THat seems to really matter to some people for some reason

I doubt there was any sort of policy about it. It was probably because I mentioned my intention to the wrong person - one who didn't actually know what she was talking about! That sort of thing happens in groups a fair bit, I think.

I tripped across this great document from the Horseshoe Falls region of the UCCan including information by Rev. Brad Morrison.

That would probably upset those not involved in what's going on ... as they like to control it all from out where they stand in a great void!

Controlling without knowledge is favoured ... even has complicate consequences as modern Christians attempt to take over churches to accommodate personal favour ... soldiers of fortune?

Imp lick at ions are immense! Causing terrific ionization ... and matter is buzzed ...

At our Board meeting yesterday, the treasurer couldn't make it...which would make it the second meeting in which we did not have a financial report. I commented that I would like a report even when the person can't make it. Now I feel like I'm the enemy. The Chair said...oh, it's good to say things to get them off your chest, not let them fester...which turned it into an issue with ME, not an issue with expectations. I love all the people involved in our church, but I don't always like the way they act or react.

At our Board meeting yesterday, the treasurer couldn't make it...which would make it the second meeting in which we did not have a financial report. I commented that I would like a report even when the person can't make it. Now I feel like I'm the enemy. The Chair said...oh, it's good to say things to get them off your chest, not let them fester...which turned it into an issue with ME, not an issue with expectations. I love all the people involved in our church, but I don't always like the way they act or react.
You're in the right here. There's no way you should be going two board meetings with no financials. In fact, I would want updated statements to go out to board members before the meeting so they can be discussed at the meeting. I imagine, though, I would be unpopular on a lot of church boards. 22 years in the private sector has likely made me a bit hard-nosed about stuff like this.

Me, too, and our treasurer (a long time very respected friend) would so agree. Now, Murph doesn't attend Board Meetings from May to October, because he is a competitive sailor, and Wednesdays are race night at the yacht club. However, his monthly report, along with the motion to approve it, comes to us a full week before our monthly Board meeting, with an invitation to query, clarify items by e-mail, phone, etc.

Me, too, and our treasurer (a long time very respected friend) would so agree. Now, Murph doesn't attend Board Meetings from May to October, because he is a competitive sailor, and Wednesdays are race night at the yacht club. However, his monthly report, along with the motion to approve it, comes to us a full week before our monthly Board meeting, with an invitation to query, clarify items by e-mail, phone, etc.
My late uncle (my mother's younger brother) joined our church when he got married and quickly became treasurer since he worked in accounting in his day job. While being in bookkeeping or accounting isn't a requirement to be treasurer, I think it sure as heck helps.

Keeping a church running is getting more and more complicated. Being Treasurer is so much more than bookkeeping. Most jobs require a certain level of computer expertise. I think it is this that might do in the smaller churches, with aging populations. We try gallantly, but at some point, the stress is not worth it.

Thanks folks. I survived the AGM or CGM. It went well overall.

The one thing that has drastically changed since I have been chair is setting the expectation that financials are sent the week before to council, including the GL entries. Lots of issues can be fixed early if GL is reviewed by the chairs.

Our meeting is March 27th. I typed up the Annual Report and it is in hands now being reviewed. Usually, the meeting goes incredibly quickly, with no questions. That is often seen as a good thing, but I, on the other hand, think it means people aren't really interested.

What kinds of discussions happen Jayne? Are they all about finances, or asking for clarification from different committees? It would be interesting to learn what other churches do.

It's a bit hard in a virtual space, but, we gave a lot of time for discussion & presentations.
The most comments were in celebrations and lamentations.
Surprisingly, there were few questions, i think because of virtual.

If I had been chair during a physical AGM, I might have asked for people to have table time.

We introduced holy manners for the first time. that was a shift.

Back