The Rev. Vosper Again

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

I agree. See it in my own congregation. I'm facing the reality that they are dying off in front of me, and although we get a few new young people through the doors, they don't seem to hang around long-term.
Have you seen any of the congregational photos from West Hill?

They, too, have a largely white haired population. Definitely a few younger folks but most of the testimonies I have read seem to come from the "church alumni association" as Spong called it. I know that some individuals believe WHUC style worship and theology will be the answer for our denomination in the future but I don't think so. Time will tell.

I'm certainly not under any misapprehension that Rev. Vosper is your saviour, or that she has the answer to aging congregations. I simply like that she came to a series of reasonable conclusions and managed to avoid being punished for it.

You guys have a relevancy issue that is far more pressing, which made the actions against Rev. Vosper all the more misaimed and mistimed. And in case you're wondering, I don't have anything that I think is the answer, either. I do think that suddenly going all Jesus-freaky isn't going to help, because other churches have a longer track record of insisting on untenable beliefs. If I'm honest, I think your denomination is screwed. I wish it wasn't. You're the among the least crazy ones.

Inlight 've the great darkness out there ... would a small light have to go forever to catch the previous light? Thus the chasing the knowledge metaphor that gets the institutionalized bouncing mad ...

So much we don't know yet some leaders hide their naivete so well ... and remain comfortable as so well robed ... can you extract a myth from that?

I'm certainly not under any misapprehension that Rev. Vosper is your saviour, or that she has the answer to aging congregations. I simply like that she came to a series of reasonable conclusions and managed to avoid being punished for it.

You guys have a relevancy issue that is far more pressing, which made the actions against Rev. Vosper all the more misaimed and mistimed. And in case you're wondering, I don't have anything that I think is the answer, either. I do think that suddenly going all Jesus-freaky isn't going to help, because other churches have a longer track record of insisting on untenable beliefs. If I'm honest, I think your denomination is screwed. I wish it wasn't. You're the among the least crazy ones.
We need a button more subtle than Like! As often happens, I agree with some of Chansen's ideas & I enjoy his input. But I can't give this a simple Like.

More Jesus might help us actually . . . not the freaky stuff obviously.

Have I gone on record saying I am pleased the church settled with her? Best possible solution to a bad situation I would say. It leaves us in a state of some dissonance but I think we can handle it.

We need a button more subtle than Like!

You mean like the Reactions feature in Xenforo 2.1? :cat: What could we put on there that's subtle? The thread to answer that question is: The Future of WC2 is Coming...What should it look like? (Shameless, ain't I?:cool:)

Have I gone on record saying I am pleased the church settled with her? Best possible solution to a bad situation I would say. It leaves us in a state of some dissonance but I think we can handle it.

Better than a state of confusion or conflict I would say.

Near cathexis as something all washed out ... well licked!

Is there a point to licking a cat or beating on it?

JUst live with it and see how the Mou Sire works ...

I see no evidence that the UCCan is doing that anyway.
There are some (especially among Gretta's supporters) who seem to think that the only alternatives are Gretta or Jesus-freaky fundamentalism. Apparently being the most theologically liberal denomination in Canada (and perhaps North America - we'd battle our United Church counterparts in the US for that title) is way too far right wing for that group.

You two are going to hate me saying it, but Cruxifusion.
Hate you? I just don't understand your irrational and obsessive thought that Cruxifusion is some sort of subsersive element in the church. Certainly not the type meant by "Jesus freaks."

Illumination and enlightening are freaking awful for those spreading dark fears of learning anything and everything so as do beta justice to knowing! Right, good knowledge given the fears driving knowledge out there ... over the lost horizon ... some diving and Dunkans may be required ..

Hate you? I just don't understand your irrational and obsessive thought that Cruxifusion is some sort of subsersive element in the church. Certainly not the type meant by "Jesus freaks."
The very fine Richard Bott is associated with Cruxifusion, is he not?

Along with Connie denBok and others.

There may be some association between Cruxifusion and some level of orthodoxy of beliefs, yes?
Of course. No one argues that members of Cruxifusion are more theologically orthodox than many in the United Church. But chansen's fixation on Cruxifusion as if it's plotting to take over the church and turn it into some fundamentalist paradise is absolute nonsense, akin to a conspiracy theory.

Of course. No one argues that members of Cruxifusion are more theologically orthodox than many in the United Church. But chansen's fixation on Cruxifusion as if it's plotting to take over the church and turn it into some fundamentalist paradise is absolute nonsense, akin to a conspiracy theory.

Essentially, even the left wing has to have a right wing, lol...

There are no sacred agenda's ... know ... that if there are we don;t know what's in anyone's mind ... little more everyone that composes god ... tis a virtual OHM'r ... an attribute to the Punic War ... still stinks as derived from aeneas and piscine battle!

Tis all just word we poly misunderstand ... little interest in a large host ... multi medium disaster ... with fallout ... that wiki 'd stuff down there between the lines ...

Essentially, even the left wing has to have a right wing, lol...
Surprises me quite a bit that a group dedicated to upholding the centrality of Jesus in a Christian denomination is seen to be "right wing". But I think you make a good point.

But I think it is fair to say they would like to move the church in a more Jesus focused direction. Good idea, in my view. Possibly this idea is gaining more traction but it is hard to say.

Back