Small Nuclear Reactors

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

The principle is very easy, but expensive to install. Just put some pipes in the earth and run water or antifreeze from the building to deep in the ground where it typically stays at 10-13°C. These pipes going deep into the ground work like a heat-exchange system. So the relative warmth of the ground means most of the heating in winter and all cooling in Summer can be done by the earth.

This system seems great because it doesn't burn any fossil fuels, but all the digging in the installation creates some pollution. But the most problematic consequence is that it changes the temperature of the earth deep down. One project doesn't have a measurable impact, but if all buildings in downtown Montréal were heated and cooled that way, the temperature of the ground deep under the city would increase by a few degrees. Now imagine if we were doing that in the permafrost?

One might ask where the electricity comes from to power heat pumps?

It is a small detail ... and many overly motivates in a rush ... say: "ignore the detailings!"

After that the head man is off ... somewhere ... detached sensations?

It is a small detail ... and many overly motivates in a rush ... say: "ignore the detailings!"

After that the head man is off ... somewhere ... detached sensations?
I'd say solar from additional panels on the roof?

In the few projects I have in mind, they use electricity coming from public Hydro poles. So there are still expenses in pumping water, having ceiling fans, and providing that supplementary heat between 13 and 22°C. Still, I am aware that in one case, they reduced their energy bill by 90%.

Another issue to consider is short term infrastructure expenses and environmental costs vs long term savings. Projects like that amortize themselves in 25 or more years. Not too many companies or individuals can afford a project that long or justify a huge short term expense when the payback is so long. In times of quarterly assessments, it doesn't look too good, alas.

And e conveniently don’t talk about children mining the needed mineral for Tesla in Africa to be used in batteries

and batteries are a problem. The ones we use at home, how many people actually collect them and drive them to the dump, and the massive ones in cars

its like recycling computers. Done by poor countries and tons of waste and dangerous stuff inside

This is a problem that should have been anticipated. I think recycling of electronics and "mining" them for what's useable should be done domestically and research directed at how to optimize isolating and reusing elements of e waste.

We have a big electronics recycling depot in town. "Anything with cords". They seem to be doing some pre-recycling breakdown of the materials, carting various bits to various bins, and if you'd like, weighing the stuff that they'll pay you for metal. Last time I filled the truck with OPs junk and bothered to wait, I got $11.

Would the industrial war mongers like this concept? There is a field of probabilities and permutations to deal with because of prejudice ... about nous being cleared ... thus nebulæ ... clouds on the frontier?

More Allah-Gory ...

Would the industrial war mongers like this concept? There is a field of probabilities and permutations to deal with because of prejudice ... about nous being cleared ... thus nebulæ ... clouds on the frontier?

More Allah-Gory ...
I'm afraid you're right. What to do?

So upthread, it was speculated that the major energy corporations were working on renewables. Well.....drumroll.....mystery solved! A slick way to keep the valves open and the industry expanding. Supposed to be "transition", but it looks more like optics to me.

Back