Return to church

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

EasternOrthodox

Reaction score
My church hasn't even had a Board meeting during all of this! I have written to our Board chair a couple of times with ideas, but they go nowhere. I don't even get a response, other than through the grapevine: "Nancy had an idea but it's something we've never done before." I like the people at my church, and I like our minister (but then...I pretty well like everyone), but I am not feeling very fulfilled in this congregation any more. I am the only one who appreciates Bible studies. Several are admitted atheists. I get more spiritually from my zoom meetings with the regional delegates to our grants committee! So...just trying to figure things out right now.
That doesn’t sound very good. Depending on your risk factors for Covid, I’d be cautious. At our last Zoom meeting (generally every Wednesday) one woman mentioned that she knows someone who had Covid. Apparently she’s having a lot of trouble shaking it off. I know not everyone will react like that but at my age I’m being careful. I’ve read several articles about people who survive but can’t seem to shake it off.

Mrs.Anteater

Just keep going....
Reaction score
Our meeting is often less than 10 people, so since 10 people is the limit presently in NS, we could start meeting in person, just have to make sure that no more than 10 show up, the extras maybe connecting by zoom.
We were thinking of meeting outdoors, but nothing has been decided yet.

EasternOrthodox

Reaction score
Our meeting is often less than 10 people, so since 10 people is the limit presently in NS, we could start meeting in person, just have to make sure that no more than 10 show up, the extras maybe connecting by zoom.
We were thinking of meeting outdoors, but nothing has been decided yet.
Outdoors is a great idea. It‘s a lot safer, I understand.

KayTheCurler

Reaction score
The United Church in my hometown is meeting via Zoom and plans to continue doing that.

revsdd

Reaction score
Most United Churches I know of are planning to wait until at least September, although I know a couple that want to open pretty much right away. My own congregation will be discussing this at a Steering Committee meeting Monday morning. My suggestion is going to be to work toward a September 13 re-opening. Our recorded services (we record on Friday afternoon and post them on Sunday morning) are going very well. The congregation has appreciated them and we're getting a lot of people watching them - probably more than would actually come on a Sunday morning. We've had a couple of people ask if we're going to be open this Sunday but for the most part people seem content to wait. And as much as I don't like to say it the truth is that the churches that choose to rush into meeting are going to serve kind of as guinea pigs for the rest of us as we watch them to see how it goes.

It sounds wonderful to say that we want to wait until we can be sure everyone will be safe and nothing will happen, but that's probably impossible. At some point we have to make the mental, emotional and spiritual shift from total risk avoidance to responsible risk management.

Carolla

wondering & wandering
Reaction score
It sounds wonderful to say that we want to wait until we can be sure everyone will be safe and nothing will happen, but that's probably impossible. At some point we have to make the mental, emotional and spiritual shift from total risk avoidance to responsible risk management.
I think that waiting until everyone is legally permitted to be in the building together is a separate expectation from saying it will necessarily be safe and nothing will happen. Responsible risk management is ongoing, even before COVID I would hope. This just adds another layer.

KayTheCurler

Reaction score
Our RC congregation are holding three masses on Sunday. Haven't heard what the Baptists, Apostolics etc. are planing.

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Reaction score
I think that waiting until everyone is legally permitted to be in the building together is a separate expectation from saying it will necessarily be safe and nothing will happen. Responsible risk management is ongoing, even before COVID I would hope. This just adds another layer.
Agreed. I'm never a fan of seeing 94 year old Ernestine in the pews in the middle of a regular 'flu season, and I don't hug her in the winter, either. I think that live singing is going to be out for a while. They're talking about the choir anthem being pre-recorded and projected as part of the livestream.