Random acts of music

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

I don't usually post the same song twice on here, let alone twice in a month, but this acoustic version of Faouzia's "You Don't Even Know Me" is breathtaking, even compared to the original video upthread. The simple piano accompaniment really throws the spotlight on what has to be one of the finest voices in popular music right now. Still no date for an actual album but she's got quite a few original songs out now, so I hope it is coming soon.

And more from Perpetuum Jazzile. A Billy Joel classic to start.

Some Cancon of the best kind. "Both Sides Now" is one of my favorite songs of all time and I first heard it sung by a school choir back around grade 5 or 6 IIRC. I don't usually like hearing this song slowed down (Joni's original is surprisingly uptempo) but the soloists are fantastic singers.

And this choir knows how to party, by the way. The trio doing leads is terrific. There seems to be a lot of great individual talent in this choir.

And from a live concert, a song I never, ever in a million years expected to hear sung by a choir.

EDIT: Damn, I did not expect them to actually do the guitar solo using vocal tricks.

From this past weekend's Live From Here, we have two numbers from jazz duo Rachael & Vilray. Rachael Price is best known as the lead singer of Lake Street Dive and Vilray is a wonderful jazz singer and guitarist. They have been collaborating for several years, usually during breaks between Lake Street albums/tours.

A lovely cover by Hope that had me mashing the like button when she hit the climax. Her move into a jazzier sound really suits this one.

Like Racheal Price, Aoife O'Donovan is a regular guest on Live From Here. This version of a Joni Mitchell classic features her fine voice accompanied by some great mandolin work from host Chris Thile.

More Joni from Aoife. Apparently they were celebrating Joni's birthday (Nov. 7) on this show.

Pomplamoose consists of singer Nataly Dawn, keyboardist (and Nataly's husband) Jack Conte, and whoever they invite along for the ride. This week, they dropped a lovely cover of Hooked on a Feeling.

I have ranted about Postmodern Jukebox before. Their schtick is taking a song from one era or style of popular music, and recasting it to another. This one, a setting of the Police classic Every Breath You Take into a soul ballad is easily one of their best, due in no small part to the stunning vocals of Jaclyn Mcspadden. She's magnificent.

I'm not really a big fan of EDM and the current wave of EDM-influenced pop but this video for a song by violinist Lindsay Stirling and EDM/pop singer Elle King is kind of catch-y. I love this style of video where they get fans to submit their own clips and then edit them together. It's an art-form that could not have existed before social media, or at least would have been a lot harder to pull off. Love how many young violinists had clips of themselves trying to imitate Lindsay's trademark playing violin while dancing schtick.

Beautiful Ghosts: Taylor Swift co wrote with Andrew Lloyd Weber for the movie Cats.
Cuz produced...he gets around

Oh wow. I am no Swift fan but she and Sir Andrew nailed this one. Of course, it exists only so the movie can be nominated for Best Original Song. Still, it's a beautiful piece.

On a second listen, though I wonder what a classic Lloyd-Webber singer like Elaine Paige or Sarah Brightman could do with it. Taylor Swift doesn't quite have the vocal chops for this kind of music.

Last edited:
Still, on a second listen, I wonder what a classic Lloyd-Webber singer like Elaine Paige or Sarah Brightman could do with it. Taylor Swift doesn't quite have the vocal chops for this kind of music.
Agree, but at least she will be able to keep the rights to this song. ( and she is in the movie singing it)

Agree, but at least she will be able to keep the rights to this song. ( and she is in the movie singing it)

Assuming they belong to her and not Lloyd-Webber's Really Useful Company, which owns most of his work. But, yeah, she deserves a break after the s**t Scooter Braun and his cronies have been putting her through

It takes some cojones to call a song "Hallelujah" in the post-Leonard Cohen era. Certainly, when I saw the title of this video, I thought Haim had done a cover of the Cohen classic. Wouldn't be totally out of character for this trio of sisters. But no, it's their own song and a thing of beauty in its own right.

Jazz was always an influence on prog rock. Yes, in particular, had jazz elements in many of its classics. So it is no surprise that former Yes lead singer Jon Anderson put out this jazz fusion track that actually sounds more like classic Yes than a lot of later Yes. And Anderson's amazing voice still holds up after 50+ years in the music business. Believe it or not, that's a 75 year-old singing.

Jazz's was said to be enlightening teacher of metaphor in the Midlands that later became in the midst of far eastern disturbances ... opiate receptor wars? Tis a neural thing that few believe exists ... eclectic?

So, Sarah Blackwood of WOTE has these two friends that she sometimes records with. And their recordings are almost inevitably marvellous. Here they are backed by members of WOTE with another beauty of a track.

Back