Random acts of music

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

I found this band with @Mendalla's help on another thread (@Redbaron posted a photo of a witty tweet by the singer, with a nice profile photo - which I saw and said, "Oh my. Who's he?"

They're good. A bit dark but that's understandable. They remind me a bit of Father John Misty, and some indie bands from the late 90s early 2000s that I can't put my finger on.

Neutral Milk Hotel comes to mind, for comparison. I guess they were a mid 90s indie band. That sort of indie rock genre though, is similar.

(The?) Airborne Toxic Event sounds like a prophetic name - whereas, although they were trying to be eclectic back then, the name Neutral Milk Hotel now sounds more like Trump describing his dementia test.

There's now probably a band somewhere called, Man Woman Camera TV. Lol. It's a great band name!

Last edited:

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla-in-law
Annie Lennox singing Baroque opera seems like an odd combination, but her version of Dido's Lament by Henry Purcell is actually pretty good. Not operatic, of course, but still a good rendition of the song.

The original is from Dido and Aeneas, adapted from the Latin epic The Aeneid.

Mendalla

UK singer-songwriter Hope Winter has been fairly quiet of late, but she dropped this video today for her song "Kelowna." Yes, it's about Kelowna, BC and the song is inspired by her brother and sister in law visiting BC on their honeymoon, which is also where the clips for this video came from.

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
I hadn't thought of this group for a long, long time. Had a couple of their CDs, saw them live at the McMichael Collection with the kids in the mid-90s. Enjoy.

Tanglefoot

Northwind

Still knitting. Walking the path to health.
I love Tanglefoot and have many good memories of folk festivals where they were playing. Ah, live music. Will we be able to enjoy it again?

Mendalla

Nice run of Valentine's Day recording out from various artists that I follow.

First up, a new original song from Philipino-American songstress Shane Ericks. She mostly does covers on Youtube, but this is an original that she co-wrote.

Then we have not one, but two, different covers of L.O.V.E. which first came out as a hit for Nat King Cole back in the year I was born.

First, we have Julia Westlin and David Meshow with an a cappella arrangment.

The we have father-daughter duo Matt and Savanna Shaw with a take that is closer to Cole's. Interesting to hear a 21st century teenager admit to liking jazz. There aren't many of those around.

And, finally, new Foxes & Fossils, a cover of an Everly Brothers hit with Maggie Adams taking lead. This is probably my favorite of the bunch. F&F keeps impressing me more and more. And, like the Shaws, it began with a father wanting to record with his daughter.

I was looking for banjo music. I love these two. First time listening. Those are quite the "Christmas Trees" behind them. :ROFLMAO:

Wow. Hendrix, playing Little Wing, live at Albert Hall, 1969. Amazing. At first it was hard to tell if the audience was bored, or blissfully stunned. It became obvious that it was the latter.

He hit peak musical brilliance. Could he have been any cooler? Wow! A compilation of the whole show:

I read the other day that Vancouver is naming a street after his grandmother, who lived there. He grew up mostly in Seattle, but spent some time in Vancouver. There’s some controversy because the City Council voted unanimously to name it after her, but the black community in the area wasn’t consulted first. They most likely would’ve said yes anyway, but the point is there weren’t asked.

Okay, I’m on a little Hendrix journey. I don’t think I’d ever heard this one before, and I thought I‘d heard all of them. Again, wow.