Odd decision: United Church of Canada Facebook group

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Pinga

Room for All
I found this decsiion quite odd

"
Blessings of the season to everyone, especially in this Covid time. It has been a stressful time, but also a time where we have found grace and new perspectives.
The Admins and Mods are going to take a Christmas break. From 12 noon EST on December 24, to 12 noon EST on December 27th, you will not be able to submit posts for approval. However, we will leave commenting on existing threads open."

Why on earth would a faith based group close during the most active time of posting in the year?
Secondly, why on earth would they close when people who are alone might need them the most

Just seems rather obscure.

Curious if anyone else has seen that kind of decision inother groups?

I've got to think it's related to the burnout that occurs across the United Church, particularly around worship/musical/ministerial staff. Four special advent services, one of which is a children's pageant, another of which is a cantata, at least one Christmas Eve service, usually two, a Blue Christmas service. And the decorating. And this is a minimum, in my experience. And this year has not been any easier, as everyone struggled with alt/distanced technologies.

Odd, bette.

For one thing, not all of the moderators/admins are in ministry.
Secondly, for many of the ministers that i know there have been less services. I have read posts of how lovely to sit with their familya nd enjoy Christmas (note; i think that this is fabulous, I have oft wondered why we think we need SO MUCH in terms of worship services.

I am curious if you know of any other site that is shutting down posts?

Most forums don't moderate every new thread/post, which it sounds like they are doing based on your first post. Usually you might do that for new members or members with a history of causing problems, but not blanket. So most sites wouldn't have a need to "shut down" posting due to a lack of staff to approve them.

For instance, if all of our Council went on a leave for the holidays, the board could just keep going and posting would keep happening. However, reports or problems might not get dealt with until a mod or admin was available.

Yeah, i haven't heard of any other group shutting down, wasn't sure if I was just missing something.

Odd, bette.

For one thing, not all of the moderators/admins are in ministry.
Secondly, for many of the ministers that i know there have been less services. I have read posts of how lovely to sit with their familya nd enjoy Christmas (note; i think that this is fabulous, I have oft wondered why we think we need SO MUCH in terms of worship services.

I agree it's odd. I was just suggesting reasons why it might be more "United Church reflexive" than anything very carefully thought through. I just sorta see a an annual deflating of our minister's energy level (and there have been three in my years here) and of the work of the church in the week between Christmas and New Year's.

And fewer services, yes, but I think a higher anxiety level, around technology, around the health of missing congregation members, about the many of our congregation in care homes.

But I also agree with Mendalla that maybe it's the level of moderation that a FB page in particular seems to require for some groups.

They may be taking a rest from denying the unknown and obtuse ... as such studies frighten those institutionalized to one way ... when god wends all over the place --- Bishop of Myra!

I just repeating something said by a person hated by radical Romantic methods. Radical methods may include road rage ... as we travel along ...

I have not been on very often, but the level of activity on Wondercafe2 seems to be decreasing. I do not believe a four day break is likely to cause much harm. But we had 4 Christmas Eve services including an online service and an experimental outdoor service(which went really well). A lay person planned and led our recorded service for yesterday. My online service for January 3 was recorded two weeks ago.

I appreciate the work done by our site managers and willingly accept their need to take a small break.

I have not been on very often, but the level of activity on Wondercafe2 seems to be decreasing. I do not believe a four day break is likely to cause much harm. But we had 4 Christmas Eve services including an online service and an experimental outdoor service(which went really well). A lay person planned and led our recorded service for yesterday. My online service for January 3 was recorded two weeks ago.

I appreciate the work done by our site managers and willingly accept their need to take a small break.
It's not us. It's the UCCan Facebook group that is being discussed. We haven't gone anywhere and even if we did, I've already explained that there would be no need to stop posting on the board because we don't use an approvals process here (tempting as it may be at times :rolleyes:).

None of the other online groups I am part of have basically taken a holiday over Christmas. I can understand in person ministers wanting a bit of a break if they have been running extra responsibilities. Not sure what other responsibilities the FB page Moderators have.

Agreed; I think I my only 'argument' was that there's this one week gasp/gap in the pattern of the UCCan year that seems to be a bit 'unique' to it, and I wondered if it were just a cultural acknowledgment of "this little pause in the year".

:rolleyes:Agreed; I think I my only 'argument' was that there's this one week gasp/gap in the pattern of the UCCan year that seems to be a bit 'unique' to it, and I wondered if it were just a cultural acknowledgment of "this little pause in the year".

Much like Ontario stopped vaccinating for two days over the holidays? Really, there's no excuse and I hope the members on the FB group kick up a stink.

Maybe trying to conserve health care resources? I think front line health care workers are pretty burned out, and more than a bit thin on the ground, and deserved their holiday and stat? (Old Union lady here, who volunteered to work Boxing Day, but only because it was double time and she had no other plans possible...)

Maybe trying to conserve health care resources? I think front line health care workers are pretty burned out, and more than a bit thin on the ground, and deserved their holiday and stat? (Old Union lady here, who volunteered to work Boxing Day, but only because it was double time and she had no other plans possible...)
Apparently other countries managed to keep their vaccination programs going. If staffing is the reason, then that's a problem in and of itself. The fact is, we went two days with no vaccinations being given out in the middle of the worst pandemic since 1918. Anyhow, that's for the vaccine thread in H&A.

There is something to be said for being alert at all times ... we may have to set a watchman as abstract!

Counters the absolute as aule ...

I thought the UC fb decision was a bit odd too. I did not see anything similar posted elsewhere. My local freecycle fb group, in which posts must be approved by admin before they go live did not shut down.

Back