Novel Coronavirus

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

The news today said that the church service had 100 attenders who kept social distance. Unfortunately, there is no rule that churches have to keep a list of attenders so they can be traced. But 40 out of 100 seemed to me a significant number. I wonder if they were singing. And I imagine there must have been more than one positive person in the crowd.
News today says the Baptist congregation admitted that nobody was wearing masks and they all had been singing together. Total of positive people is 107 now, counting in family members. The news is that the aerosolized droplets are staying in the air longer than thought and Mr. Drosten, who is the German equivalent of Dr. Tan, stated that at home, airing out the home is more important than wiping down the house with disinfectant. It seems that Covid has a time when it is very contagious and then spreads easily when speaking loudly, sneezing, singing, but is not so much contagious in the environment after the first week, even if the person is still sick.

That may change after this weekend in the US. Lots of people, mostly young people, crowded on beaches and parks.
That was a huge issue here in Toronto on Saturday too ... sadly. The second wave is coming folks. COVID is not gone, even as some restrictions loosen up. Gotta keep up the key points of hygiene and remember the isolation was to prevent overloading our health care system, which we did well at in the first round ... but there's a long and tiring road ahead I fear.

I think that this cannot go on wave after wave - I fear we will face the choice between focussing on covid indefinitely or focus on every other issue, problem, danger, and injustice that humanity's future is faced with - if priveleged people stay in their bubbles and auto-defer their lives to authority - they don't have to think about the future of the planet - and if they're over 70 it soon enough won't be their problem.

I only say this hoping people will wake up and recognize some of the double standards (able/ white) privilege is reinforcing. I don't expect them to.

I still think travel is a bad idea now. And social distancing is a good habit with strangers anyway. But isolating from friends and loved ones - no hugs, no fun gatherings, no physical sense of community - in the foreseeable future with grocery and liquor store workers still struggling to get by and taking more risk. That can't go on and on. It's inhumane from another point of view.

Last edited:
The seniors I know have gone out, mostly shopping, more than anyone else during this. Now, when I know that there’s only 1 active case, in hospital, out of 794,000...because I’m reading the actual figures, not Facebook - we did our part to keep the most vulnerable safe (even if there was some push back at first, we did it)...mostly, it was boomer’s kids and grandkids who voluntarily began that effort here...they went all in, cheerfully...I feel irked at the fairly well-heeled 60-70+ crowd walking around, outside, individually, with their cute sewed masks on, when there’s no covid around right now - not here - to get them. If they were in NY or Montreal or downtown Toronto that’s different.. But here, they signal to others that they think they have better standards. Because they always have done that. You know the type. Even though they don’t have better standards as much as better advantages. Kind of like stereotypical church volunteers who act the same (they do exist, I met some)...they want their superior standards recognized and to look down their noses at others, as those others are practically riff-raff and they’re confident that it’s their business to passive-aggressively point it out. It’s Victorian...colonial...privilege. Yes, that’s judgmental - because the world is never going back to the exact way it was, and some other things, including attitudes about who “deserves” looking after need to change (hint: everybody deserves what they need to stay alive and not destitute)...and it’s more sociopolitical...about entitlement...than it is about age. I need to vent that because I do want to show this virus the door...and at the same time, we cannot have never ending rolling covid quarantines. We can’t give up our collective agency. There are a myriad of other issues and injustices getting ignored and kicked down the road for younger generations...that we can’t tackle from bubble-land. My mom always told me I had to get my head out of the clouds and that expecting others to accommodate my needs was impractical, I have to keep on despite vulnerabilities because nobody owes it to me to look out for me...I heard it all my life. That advice doesn’t hold water (clouds do...haha). It’s highly hypocritical. We all need to look out for each other...and boomers need to be willing to give up some of their material and power advantages. Not just now...going forward.

Here’s a good blog article.

Last edited:
So, is it not okay for me at 60+ to go outside and appear to be happy? Will I be perceived as looking down on others while I'm out?

People have grumbled about people coming to the RV park and being "too close" to others in their party. I've decided not to worry about that. I will also keep my distance from them.

We have to remember there are many reasons for people to be out. It is absolutely possible to be out safely.

Live and let live.

The world revolves around a particular demographic...it has for a long time...and I hope we see some leveling of the playing field after we flatten the curve, for good. A vaccine and or cure can’t come soon enough!

So, is it not okay for me at 60+ to go outside and appear to be happy? Will I be perceived as looking down on others while I'm out?

People have grumbled about people coming to the RV park and being "too close" to others in their party. I've decided not to worry about that. I will also keep my distance from them.

We have to remember there are many reasons for people to be out. It is absolutely possible to be out safely.

Live and let live.
Of course it’s okay for you to be out and look happy. I didn’t say anything about anybody looking happy. I don’t know the correct description...projecting superiority by wearing a mask they don’t need (here)? And making sure it’s a cute mask.

The elder Jones’ still want to one-up everyone, even their own kids, in some places.

The seniors I know have gone out, mostly shopping, more than anyone else during this. Now, when I know that there’s only 1 active case, in hospital, out of 794,000...because I’m reading the actual figures, not Facebook - we did our part to keep the most vulnerable safe (even if there was some push back at first, we did it)...mostly, it was boomer’s kids and grandkids who voluntarily began that effort here...they went all in, cheerfully...I feel irked at the fairly well-heeled 60-70+ crowd walking around, outside, individually, with their cute sewed masks on, when there’s no covid around right now - not here - to get them. If they were in NY or Montreal or downtown Toronto that’s different.. But here, they signal to others that they think they have better standards. Because they always have done that. You know the type. Even though they don’t have better standards as much as better advantages. Kind of like stereotypical church volunteers who act the same (they do exist, I met some)...they want their superior standards recognized and to look down their noses at others, as those others are practically riff-raff and they’re confident that it’s their business to passive-aggressively point it out. It’s Victorian...colonial...privilege. Yes, that’s judgmental - because the world is never going back to the exact way it was, and some other things, including attitudes about who “deserves” looking after need to change (hint: everybody deserves what they need to stay alive and not destitute)...and it’s more sociopolitical...about entitlement...than it is about age. I need to vent that because I do want to show this virus the door...and at the same time, we cannot have never ending rolling covid quarantines. We can’t give up our collective agency. There are a myriad of other issues and injustices getting ignored and kicked down the road for younger generations...that we can’t tackle from bubble-land. My mom always told me I had to get my head out of the clouds and that expecting others to accommodate my needs was impractical, I have to keep on despite vulnerabilities because nobody owes it to me to look out for me...I heard it all my life. That advice doesn’t hold water (clouds do...haha). It’s highly hypocritical. We all need to look out for each other...and boomers need to be willing to give up some of their material and power advantages. Not just now...going forward.

It’s this paragraph that resonated...the writer gets it, thankfully.

“We feel invulnerable because, basically, everything’s gone our way since we were in grade school — we were flower children in the 60s, blissfully innocent, turned right wing in the Reaganite and Thatcherite 80s when it suited us, cashed in during the Neo-liberal 90s and 2000s, and now, as we approach our senior years, are the generation least likely to be concerned with the environment, income inequality, or many of the other social ills we basically helped create. And kids in their 20s are staying home to make sure we don’t get sick? It’s unbelievable.”

Not an opinion I share
I didn’t expect you to. Most won’t. That’s the problem. There’s no nice way to say boomers (collectively, with exceptions) f***ed up the planet, left the future of humanity in question, and will let no one tell them to pull their socks up...even though they should be, and are, being looked after by the rest of the world when they need to be. They dictate the terms, they tell others to pull their socks up and tell others to not expect the world to stop and help...that’s been their role for a couple of extra decades longer than their parents assumed that role. And that’s the problem. They won’t give up power. On one hand...yes, they are extra vulnerable...paradoxically, they still have a grip on power.

And there’s no f’ing way that the rights protestors of the 60s and young entrepreneurs of the 70s, and business juggernauts of the 80s and 90s, would’ve stopped what they were doing to change the world, to save their parents and grandparents in nursing homes. No way. They are “fortunate sons” (and daughters), afterall - to reference CCR. There are some double standards going on, that need pointing out, that’s all.

Last edited:
And they instituted the neoliberal business model that made nursing homes less safe for them today, and healthcare less efficient, and underfunded. My mom would say to me...that’s your problem because you didn’t think ahead. If the pandemic only hit women my age with CP...she’d have told me I should've planned ahead. It’s never ever ever the boomers’ responsibility to look out for others less fortunate or more vulnerable...until it’s them. It’s sorta kinda optional and best worked into a corporate social responsibility type mission statement instead of a personal habit. The credo was “look after yourself, nobody will do it for you. Reach your goals, with your own willpower.” Again, another double standard... these are problems their kids will inherit....I am talking about the trend, which I have seen textbook examples of my whole life... but not every single person from the baby boomer demographic. It’s not ageism...it’s some resentment of consequential political choices, and resentment of the hypocrisy of the self help attitudes that got us here.

Last edited:
Busted unions that protected workers, demonized worker solidarity, to make more money for themselves in the short term, didn’t allow wages to be commensurate to the cost of living, allowed rental policies that favour landlord profit over tenant health and safety...all those things made the pandemic spread...didn’t think ahead. :unsure: And environmental degradation is contributing to more dangerous viruses making the jump from animals to humans...my mom would say... “you should've thought of that...don’t expect anybody to rescue you.” ... more hypocrisy. Just pointing it out.

Last edited:
When someone els paints with a broad brush you call them out. It when you paint a generation with the same , it’s just because you are right?

give me a f.......breaking

That ‘ s a really stupid blog. I feel sorry for this guy, he must be living among a lot of stupid other people his age. To make assuptions about a whole generation because of the idiots you grew up with does not speak for the ability to analyze very well. I am guessing he wrote this to stir the pot as much as he can. That usually happens if you generalize like he does.
For once, the age group with the highest death toll is the boomer’s parents.
The age group mostly testing positive goes down to age 50, which is the generation after the boomers, as the last boomers are now about 58.
Being the largest population group is not really something you can blame people for- and since contraception wasn’t that great at that time, you can’t really blame the parent generation for having too much sex, either.
I am yet to meet a boomer who feels he/ she is invincible and lives forever. Usually, by the time you hit your 40 ties and 50 ties, you have had enough experience with death to start thinking otherwise.
kimmio, I wouldn’t take you hippie landlords as typical representation of boomers generation.

It’s this paragraph that resonated...the writer gets it, thankfully.

“We feel invulnerable because, basically, everything’s gone our way since we were in grade school — we were flower children in the 60s, blissfully innocent, turned right wing in the Reaganite and Thatcherite 80s when it suited us, cashed in during the Neo-liberal 90s and 2000s, and now, as we approach our senior years, are the generation least likely to be concerned with the environment, income inequality, or many of the other social ills we basically helped create. And kids in their 20s are staying home to make sure we don’t get sick? It’s unbelievable.”
Kimmio, to me it's unbelievable the staggering stereotyping in that last paragraph. Not a single one of the list of crimes am I guilty of. Not one. Except the perennial hippie. My politics are virtually unchanged.. This is true of so many...oh where do I begin. I'm disappointed more than anything.

Kimmio, to me it's unbelievable the staggering stereotyping in that last paragraph. Not a single one of the list of crimes am I guilty of. Not one. Except the perennial hippie. My politics are virtually unchanged.. This is true of so many...oh where do I begin. I'm disappointed more than anything.
I understand, but you are not the mainstream. What that writer wrote of his generation is true, as a trend. You should be disappointed in your peers, if anything.

See, I would call that 1. getting in the habit for what is to come 2. protecting others from me ( as masks, as we all know now, only do that,not protecting oneself) and 3. Taking it with a sense of humor ( by wearing cute masks)
I don’t think so. I know this place. Nobody is protecting anybody when there is no covid. It’s just a statement, of something.

That ‘ s a really stupid blog. I feel sorry for this guy, he must be living among a lot of stupid other people his age. To make assuptions about a whole generation because of the idiots you grew up with does not speak for the ability to analyze very well. I am guessing he wrote this to stir the pot as much as he can. That usually happens if you generalize like he does.
For once, the age group with the highest death toll is the boomer’s parents.
The age group mostly testing positive goes down to age 50, which is the generation after the boomers, as the last boomers are now about 58.
Being the largest population group is not really something you can blame people for- and since contraception wasn’t that great at that time, you can’t really blame the parent generation for having too much sex, either.
I am yet to meet a boomer who feels he/ she is invincible and lives forever. Usually, by the time you hit your 40 ties and 50 ties, you have had enough experience with death to start thinking otherwise.
kimmio, I wouldn’t take you hippie landlords as typical representation of boomers generation.
My landlords are not typical people of any demographic. My parents are typical boomers.

It’s not stupid at all. It’s absolutely true, here. What he is saying is reflective of what I see around me, here, all the time. You see...you seem to feel entitled to call everybody else stupid.

Back