Notre-Dame is in flames

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

The cathedral is also owned by France, not by the Catholic Church, so while I would like to see them chip in I don’t think they will be the biggest contributor.

THere is some supposition that UNESCO may kick in as well since Notre-Dame is designated as a World Heritage site

THere is some supposition that UNESCO may kick in as well since Notre-Dame is designated as a World Heritage site

Didn't the US defund them? They may not have much to throw around if so.

With 13 MILLION visitors a year, I can see how the government would want to engage in restoration.

France's superrich have joined together and pledged about 600 million euros, or $677 million, to help rebuild Paris' Notre-Dame Cathedral after it was ravaged by a fire.

There were more than 100 campaigns to raise funds for Notre-Dame on GoFundMe as of Tuesday morning.

A spokesman for the crowdsourcing platform told Reuters that it would be "working with the authorities to find the best way of making sure funds get to the place where they will do the most good."

PARIS — France may be one of the most popular countries to visit as a tourist, but not everyone in France lives a picture-postcard life. Nearly nine million people in France, 14.1 percent of the population, live below the poverty line. Almost one in five people, 17.7 percent, live at risk of poverty in France.

France's superrich have joined together and pledged about 600 million euros, or $677 million, to help rebuild Paris' Notre-Dame Cathedral after it was ravaged by a fire.

There were more than 100 campaigns to raise funds for Notre-Dame on GoFundMe as of Tuesday morning.

A spokesman for the crowdsourcing platform told Reuters that it would be "working with the authorities to find the best way of making sure funds get to the place where they will do the most good."

PARIS — France may be one of the most popular countries to visit as a tourist, but not everyone in France lives a picture-postcard life. Nearly nine million people in France, 14.1 percent of the population, live below the poverty line. Almost one in five people, 17.7 percent, live at risk of poverty in France.

The Christian World of the Golden Rule seems to have degrading in its leading for the poor down a failed path ... instead of medium success! Terrible means ... medi-ogre as dirt half-baked golem! Leaded glass ...

Having stood with brothers and sisters in the Christian faith on city sidewalks as they watched their Church burn I understand the depth of pain that comes in the loss of sacred space.

Having ministered with and to a congregation that rose out of the ashes of destruction I get the ongoing pain of that experience matched with the realization that everything new is not what was lost and for some that loss of sacred space will never be recovered.

Loving architecture of long lost days I also feel a degree of loss for the historical reality which is now so much dust and ash blown across the cityscape.

No lives were lost. I celebrate that.

I'm not overly impressed by the effort to save relics. I attribute that to my Protestant distaste of the idolic nature of relics. How many nails did they need to keep Christ on the cross and how big was that cross based on all of the shards that remain and the crown of thorns? Even if it was the genuine article (which I seriously doubt) so what? It would be about as Holy as Christ's toenail clippings.

I'm not overly impressed by the effort to save relics. I attribute that to my Protestant distaste of the idolic nature of relics.

It's just "stuff," and I'm glad no one was hurt.

I agree that the relics have no intrinsic, holy power in and of themselves.

But when I went to Westminster Abbey, (I have to use that one because I've never been to Notre-Dame,)
I felt how special it was to sit in the pews, and realize there must have been thousands of people who've sat in the same pews over the centuries. And I touched the pillars, and wondered how many people had done that over the centuries, and how many people who stood where I stood, and had the same faith and doubts that I had...... I felt a link with generations and centuries of worshippers that came before me.

(And I never quite got that same feeling from any Canadian church, because there are none that old.)

There are most likely people who have not only lived in Paris all their lives, but also their parents, grandparents, etc., etc, back many generations, who've all been to Notre-Dame, and all sat in the same pews, touched the same pillars, touched the same statues, struggled with the same doubts, and triumphed with the same beliefs. And I can understand the loss of those tangible links feels enormous.

I also find myself thinking about how this is Holy Week Monday, a day associated with Jesus in the Temple, confronting the money changers.

A very uncomfortable coincidence.
And then didn't he say something like 'destroy this temple and I will raise it up' ... a 3 day easter weekend - coincidence.

Humour at it sic esse ...

I'm told that sic is a word for accurate ... and esse is indeterminate! Hows that for initiated chaos ... Fred Niche was right on the button ... this place is a hole in the greater space ...

The latest news from Paris from The Globe & Mail. Interesting that the bees on the roof survived. Once again. our insectoid kin prove their metal.

And, perhaps inevitably, French politics is creeping into the discussions of the rebuilding process.

Yellow Vests Return to Streets of Paris Enraged by Billions Donated to Rebuild Notre Dame
April 20, 2019

Yellow Vests Return to Streets of Paris Enraged by Billions Donated to Rebuild Notre Dame

The contrast between the French government’s and upper class’s response to Monday’s fire at Notre Dame and ongoing inaction to combat income inequality, was a primary driver of mass protests in Paris on Saturday.

The Gilets Jaunes, or Yellow Vests, staged their first major protest since large portions of the historic cathedral burned, apparently due to an electrical short-circuit, to call attention to the €1 billion ($1.1 billion) that the country’s richest families have donated to help rebuild the church, months after the yellow vest movement began demonstrating against income inequality.

“You’re there, looking at all these millions accumulating, after spending five months in the streets fighting social and fiscal injustice. It’s breaking my heart,” Ingrid Levavasseur, a founder of the movement, told the Associated Press.

One sign at Saturday’s demonstration read, “Victor Hugo thanks all the generous donors ready to save Notre Dame and proposes that they do the same thing with Les Miserables,” referring to Hugo’s classic novels about the cathedral and the struggles of impoverished people in France.

April 20, 2019

The contrast between the French government’s and upper class’s response to Monday’s fire at Notre Dame and ongoing inaction to combat income inequality, was a primary driver of mass protests in Paris on Saturday.

The Gilets Jaunes, or Yellow Vests, staged their first major protest since large portions of the historic cathedral burned, apparently due to an electrical short-circuit, to call attention to the €1 billion ($1.1 billion) that the country’s richest families have donated to help rebuild the church, months after the yellow vest movement began demonstrating against income inequality.

“You’re there, looking at all these millions accumulating, after spending five months in the streets fighting social and fiscal injustice. It’s breaking my heart,” Ingrid Levavasseur, a founder of the movement, told the Associated Press.

One sign at Saturday’s demonstration read, “Victor Hugo thanks all the generous donors ready to save Notre Dame and proposes that they do the same thing with Les Miserables,” referring to Hugo’s classic novels about the cathedral and the struggles of impoverished people in France.
I wish there was a balance to be able to stop poverty and still retain some beauty and Art in the world.....

Even Victor Hugo, an ardent opponent to American slavery, stumbled when it came to France’s colonization of Africa. “God offers Africa to Europe,” he said in a speech in 1879 as France brutally conquered Algeria in the name of civilizing it. “Take it.”

In 2014, the “Conseil des Ventes,” which regulates auction sales in France, refused to suspend the auctioning of masks sacred to Hopi and Navajo people. The French agency denied the Hopi tribe possessed any legal standing to pursue a cultural claim in France. This ruling not only denigrated an Indigenous nation’s political existence (the Hopi is a federally recognized tribe which enjoys a nation-to-nation relationship with the U.S. government) but declared Paris a haven for the trafficking of the sacred items of Indigenous people. This, despite France being a signee of the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples.

The first proposal for the rebuild of the roof and spire is up. Some interesting ideas. May be too radical for some, but definitely interesting.

I saw that, I like the idea of feeding people and being green BUT.....it doesnt quite have the architectural flow I appreciate from old to new IMO. The top seems to be going off in its own direction ,(like the crystal cathedral) and competing unnecessarily with the bottom.

Back