Minute for Mission?

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Sterton

Meep!
Hi Folks! I understand booklets with a short weekly read aren't being sent out this year. I was asked to go online and print off a reading to read however I don't think Minute for Mission works like that anymore. Insights? Thanks!

If you go to the United Church website, you can click on something called 'Stories of Our Mission', that might help you find what you're looking for. Good luck!

Never liked it being read out loud in the worship service. Okay as a bulletin insert. Just my .02
Depends on the "minute" and who reads it. Some just read like bad shills for something or other. And some people just treat it as something to get over with.

One of our VAMs (retired ministers, of whom we have several) is our M&S person. She has, for a number of years, done a fine job of picking a good story. Once a month.

Depends on the "minute" and who reads it. Some just read like bad shills for something or other. And some people just treat it as something to get over with.

Some people go to church for that reason ,,, to get over and through it!

I find it a good source to see what is wrong with the flawed human condition ... with everything ready to break and collapse and all ...

And many skills for reconstruction are lost due to automation. Even curse were lost with the departure of cursive writ! Before you rect ... ponder it!

If the masses don't gather ... will there be autonomous stand alone's ready to administer everything without clues? History recycles ...

Last edited:
Hey @Sterton - great question, thanks I hadn't realized the protocol changed.
@Carolla and @GordW thanks for sharing the links. much appreciated. will pass them on to our council team that might be most interested

To be honest I think this was a strategic error. I think it will lead to fewer readings of Minutes for Mission in 2021. If all you have to do is grab a book and flipto a page it is simpler to get it done than having to go to a website and choose which one to read, and possibly have to print it out...

To be honest I think this was a strategic error. I think it will lead to fewer readings of Minutes for Mission in 2021. If all you have to do is grab a book and flipto a page it is simpler to get it done than having to go to a website and choose which one to read, and possibly have to print it out...

Yet there are folks that believe stuff in AI is the cats meow! If intangible will there always be those suspicious of such immaterial concepts? Kind of out there eh?

How else to describe what is indeterminate ... yet denied by the determinate group ... hard to accept?

I agree, it may be something they may want to look at for future years. It does, though, save money and postage. Would have been a bit less confusing if they had assigned specific Sundays to specific stories, but still, the booklet would be easier to deal with

Do you feel that this is a COVID repsonse, where people are seeking to get the material online?

Do you feel that this is a COVID repsonse, where people are seeking to get the material online?
I think it may have somewhat been in response to this - but some of the videos do indicate they were filmed prior to COVID. I think more churches are using projection & video during services; and more may be using these as part of a zoom or online Sunday service.
In my church at least, there were increasingly fewer and fewer readings - not quite sure why. Somebody mentioned it to worship team & they instituted one a month. I do recall .... long ago ... that it was a part of every Sunday worship.

I think it may be "simpler" to grab a book - if indeed you have a book handy. As lay readers are used in some churches, such books may not be right at hand - and so online resource may be the easier point of access.

I don't see it as a strategic error - rather perhaps it is an enhancement? I just posted one of the videos (which I think are excellently done) to our church facebook page. This page is visited by many people who are not in fact members of our congregation, so they would never hear stories read at Sunday worship, but may be moved to make donations if/when they see a video & learn more about the broader work of the church through Mission & Service. It's helpful to think more widely about the potential uses of such resources IMO.

Right now, it's handy to have on-line Minutes for Mission to share. The addition of an M&S rep reader might stress out our 10 max some weeks.

A book in hand gives something to toss at the illiterates ... and you know how unknown chit is despised!

Back