MAID Concerns - How Will Our Politicians Respond?

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

I could completely support the removal of "disability" from the wording of the act, but I do think that there's room for a category of "mental anguish" that could accommodate things like those rare, but awful, cases of life-long constant depression, that do occur.

Somehow, I can't imagine that we don't have the right to end our own lives. The question is merely whether the state will help or hinder a natural process. People have been deciding to die, for their own reasons, forever.
What is the purpose of suicide intervention, in your opinion?

What is the purpose of suicide intervention, in your opinion?

To distinguish between a situational depression (which I'd guess is a fair proportion of depression) and a chronic depression (possibly genetic/congenital) , and then drill down into the history of the latter in an attempt to ascertain what has NOT been tried.

What is a traditional funding model - government funding?

In health care, there are really two traditional models: Government as in Canada and other countries with a public system and private funding by insurance or the patient themselves. Many countries actually have a mix. Even the US is technically mixed, even if leans very very heavily to private.

And I will leave it there. Healthcare funding is a whole topic of its own.

To distinguish between a situational depression (which I'd guess is a fair proportion of depression) and a chronic depression (possibly genetic/congenital) , and then drill down into the history of the latter in an attempt to ascertain what has NOT been tried.
So people with chronic depression should receive no intervention? - what if they've never had counselling, or support groups or addressed the social effects that make it worse - all outside a doctor's expertise - only medication? What if chronic depression was triggered by precipitating events. I'm not so sure the boundaries are clear or if a doctor is equipped to make those calls.

You know chronic depression is the leading cause of missed work? That's what this is about. The bean counters again.

Well, this is certainly not going to help end mental health stigma, is it?

Last edited:
I have a cousin who has struggled with depression that seems to be very resistant to treatment. There are some people like that. Depression seems to be something that is managed rather than cured for many. That gets tiring for them.

Yes. It is t
I have a cousin who has struggled with depression that seems to be very resistant to treatment. There are some people like that. Depression seems to be something that is managed rather than cured for many. That gets tiring for them.
It is tiring. It's a job, for sure. It's still just a part of life for many.

There are new drugs out there. Ketamine is showing promise for long term treatment of resistant depression after just one dose. It seems to stimulate some long term protective action in the brain. When a person achieves a steady baseline, then they could more easily determine and distinguish similar symptoms from other external causes that come up. Maybe the boundaries between clinical depression, situational depression, trauma, and grief would be clearer - I believe the rarely happen in a vacuum and/ or are mutually exclusive - and what steps forward to helping an individual regain his or her life would be clearer too. But...for some reason Ketamine is slow to arrive here. I believe it's been approved in the US.

So people with chronic depression should receive no intervention? - what if they've never had counselling, or support groups or addressed the social effects that make it worse - all outside a doctor's expertise - only medication? What if chronic depression was triggered by precipitating events. I'm not so sure the boundaries are clear or if a doctor is equipped to make those calls.

You apparently didn't read my answer. I'll try this bit again:

and then drill down into the history of the latter in an attempt to ascertain what has NOT been tried.

So, someone of reasonable intellect, solid middle class (which usually indicates the economic capacity to get the maximum amount of help), who has tried many types of therapy, from psychotherapy to CBT, from a wide range of drugs available during their lifetime, who may have tried electroshock therapy, has been clinically chronically depressed since childhood, has no right to say "I give up; I have suffered mental anguish for many decades; let me die".

I am not talking of people who cannot get help; I am speaking of people who, during their lifetime, apparently cannot be helped by all the therapies in our current toolbox. These cases exist; I have met two of them in my life. And your answer to their pleas for bodily autonomy: is "just wait; let's see what we find next"?

But...for some reason Ketamine is slow to arrive here. I believe it's been approved in the US.
Bring on the 'Soma' is your solution then ... as in a 'Brave New World'.

Soma is the answer to all of life's problems and is invented in an attempt to distract society from worry, tension, and pain.

The drug is rationed by the government and is normally consumed after a hard day's work.

In this utopian society, people choose to "know no pain".

Instead of suffering, people fill their days with the mindless acts they were predestined to perform.

At the end of each day, everyone gathers in crowded distribution rooms and waits to receive his or her ration of soma.

This valuable drug becomes the one thing that everyone really lives for.

The idea in the novel is that pleasure is the most powerful motivator.

So by giving the masses pleasure, the directors keep the world running smoothly.

One cannot help but take the quick fix of soma rather than using logic to figure out his or her problems.

It is the mass' motivator and problem solver with its hypnotic power to relax the mind.

But...for some reason Ketamine is slow to arrive here. I believe it's been approved in the US.
Ketamine, sometimes known as the party drug Special K, is a compound made of two mirror-image molecules. It has long been approved as an anesthetic, isn’t covered by a patent, and is widely used — meaning it’s not going to make much money for a pharmaceutical company. So, Janssen patented the left part of the molecule, esketamine, and sent it through the FDA approval system as a potential cash cow called Spravato, legitimizing the use of ketamine for depression in the process.

@kimmio ...This is what 'your government' has to say about Ketamine

So, someone of reasonable intellect,
Which I consider myself to be ...
without the economic capacity to get the maximum $amount of help but who has tried many types of 'insurable therapy', from psychotherapy and a wide range of drugs available during my lifetime, and having been 'clinically chronically depressed' since childhood, has no right to say ... give me a cost estimate of the therapy that you are prescribing and instead of 'therapy' give me the $value in self directed funds. I know this to be true because I have tried it ...

Ketamine, sometimes known as the party drug Special K, is a compound made of two mirror-image molecules. It has long been approved as an anesthetic, isn’t covered by a patent, and is widely used — meaning it’s not going to make much money for a pharmaceutical company. So, Janssen patented the left part of the molecule, esketamine, and sent it through the FDA approval system as a potential cash cow called Spravato, legitimizing the use of ketamine for depression in the process.

It's not "soma". If it is there are hundreds of types of "soma" out there already. Including, cannibis.

Whatever "high" gets produced by Ketamine that may leave someone vulnerable to date rape at a party where it's being used to get high or being slipped into drinks, is the not same as using it clinically . The high wears off - and it leaves a protective effect on the brain that helps it heal, that can reverse depression after one dose.

SSRIs are commonly prescribed, have been for decades - Prozac, Celexa, Zoloft, etc and need to be taken daily, often for years. They do help people. I just think for those for whom they are not a lot of help - one dose, maybe you get high from it briefly - and then depression is gone possibly for good - sounds better to me.

one dose, maybe you get high from it briefly - and then depression is gone possibly for good - sounds better to me.
I have a niece that did 3 years of Intensive Ketamine IV therapy. She gave it up (along with sugar) in favor wanting to become a mother. She would not have been able to avail herself of the therapy (as approved by her government) without her father taking unpaid time off of work to chaperone those treatments. Since having had such treatments (with her government ready willing and able to 'legally' seize care and control') she gave birth to premature twins. In preparation for this government sanctioned event ... her father quit his job and he and his wife who is a registered nurse retired after they sold one home and bought another closer to their daughter so they could provide between the two of them 24/7 unpaid by the government support. This in order to ensure that the 'government' would be satisfied that their new little constituents were not being 'neglected' by their 'disabled' mother. Whatever ... the moral of the story is Ketamine like 'soma' and 'cannibis' are government controlled substances ... sometimes legal .... sometimes not ... depending on the profit/control margin for the government.

I am speaking of people who, during their lifetime, apparently cannot be helped by all the therapies in our current toolbox. These cases exist; I have met two of them in my life. And your answer to their pleas for bodily autonomy: is "just wait; let's see what we find next"?

You have described my cousin. It seems she is doing better these days. Her current treatment seems to be helping. Who knows what tomorrow will bring though.

Back