MAID Concerns - How Will Our Politicians Respond?

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Ritafee

Is Being Human
On a side note ... Hansen mentioned:

"The world would be a much different place if it were not for disabled people. Think Albert Einstein"

Albert had a suicidal 'schizophrenic' son ...

The coldly scientific part of Albert Einstein wondered if “it wouldn’t be better for him if he could depart before coming to know life properly,” but in the end, paternal love won out and the physicist vowed to do whatever he could to help his sickly son, paying for and even accompanying Eduard to various sanatoriums.

Although Albert had hoped his younger son would be able to join him in America along with his older brother, Eduard Einstein’s continually deteriorating mental condition prevented him from also being able to seek refuge in the United States.

Before he emigrated, Albert went to visit his son at the asylum where he was being cared for one last time. Although Albert would keep up correspondence and would continue to send money for his son’s care, the two would not meet again.

As Eduard spent the remainder of his life in an asylum in Switzerland, he was buried in Hönggerberg cemetery in Zurich when he died of a stroke at age 55 in October 1965. He had spent over three decades of his life in the psychiatric clinic of Burghölzli at the University of Zurich.

Last edited:
On a side note ... Hansen mentioned:

"The world would be a much different place if it were not for disabled people. Think Albert Einstein"

Albert had a schizophrenic son ...

The coldly scientific part of Albert Einstein wondered if “it wouldn’t be better for him if he could depart before coming to know life properly,” but in the end, paternal love won out and the physicist vowed to do whatever he could to help his sickly son, paying for and even accompanying Eduard to various sanatoriums.

Although Albert had hoped his younger son would be able to join him in America along with his older brother, Eduard Einstein’s continually deteriorating mental condition prevented him from also being able to seek refuge in the United States.

Before he emigrated, Albert went to visit his son at the asylum where he was being cared for one last time. Although Albert would keep up correspondence and would continue to send money for his son’s care, the two would not meet again.

As Eduard spent the remainder of his life in an asylum in Switzerland, he was buried in Hönggerberg cemetery in Zurich when he died of a stroke at age 55 in October 1965. He had spent over three decades of his life in the psychiatric clinic of Burghölzli at the University of Zurich.

Okay, so maybe she could’ve named a better example. Her fears are still real and relevant even if she didn’t mention any famous names - maybe even more poignant considering Einstein as a person with a disability discriminated against his own son with a different disability because that’s what was expected...as smart as he was he missed that problem/ hypocrisy.

Not sure what your point is other than to be disruptive for disruption’s sake, though. Is that all you got from the article? She’s talking about having to justify her very existence. Are you expecting her to do that because she misspoke about Einstein? Are you expecting me to do that because the article I posted is from someone who misspoke about Einstein, even though he wasn’t the main point of her story? What is it Rita?

(Einstein was thought to have had Asperger’s Syndrome, himself.)

Last edited:

Lastpointe

That was what people did with family members at a time when mental health and treatments were not fully understood. We still don’t understand the brain and mental health

people tried to do what they thought was the best.

That was what people did with family members at a time when mental health and treatments were not fully understood. We still don’t understand the brain and mental health

people tried to do what they thought was the best.
I know that was the case. Einstein had a different disability, to a degree that was considered “passable”. If he didn’t have supportive people in his life - if he had been placed in a home because he was unable to do daily tasks without reminders and had no one around to make sure he ate, and bathed and dressed himself - or if the people in his life thought it was better to fit a societal standard than to fully utilize his mind - he might not have achieved what he did, either.

It sounds like it was America, not Einstein, who discriminated against his son, actually - because he wasn’t allowed to emigrate.

Though this may sound like me some days, this isn’t me. I can relate to this person. It sounds she’s like having a much harder time where she’s at these days, than me where I’m at - but I’m aware that could change with covid increases. And we also share some similarities that speak a universal truth for low income people with disabilities in Canada, now.

Disability Day of Mourning is March 1st. This is the first year I’ve known about it, though I am aware of the reasons for it. It’s in the ninth year. This is from last year:

Last edited:

Lastpointe

this Star article more specifically looks at the use of MAID in mental illness.

it seems to me, that with all the focus on Covid, this issue has slipped under the radar for much of the country. And that we are on a dangerous course for disabled persons and mentally ill persons

Ritafee

Is Being Human
Okay, so maybe she could’ve named a better example. Her fears are still real and relevant even if she didn’t mention any famous names - maybe even more poignant considering Einstein as a person with a disability discriminated against his own son with a different disability because that’s what was expected...as smart as he was he missed that problem/ hypocrisy.

Not sure what your point is other than to be disruptive for disruption’s sake, though. Is that all you got from the article? She’s talking about having to justify her very existence. Are you expecting her to do that because she misspoke about Einstein? Are you expecting me to do that because the article I posted is from someone who misspoke about Einstein, even though he wasn’t the main point of her story? What is it Rita?

(Einstein was thought to have had Asperger’s Syndrome, himself.)
I thought it was an interesting story thats all. It was not to shame the author for bringing Einstein up it gave Einstein as an example even more credibility I thought.

paradox3

It is the possibility of subtle pressure that worries me. I understand that safeguards are being built in but I don't feel terribly reassured by this. Things don't always work out in practice the way they are intended.

Here is an example. A few years ago I was asked to sign a consent form for my mom to receive a flu shot while in a rehab hospital.

Above the signature line was the statement "The risks and benefits of receiving the flu shot have been explained to me."

So I pointed out that no one had given me any explanation at all. The response of the staff person asking me to sign was that she would need to call a pharmacist to provide me with an explanation. I asked her to do so but I really got the impression I was rocking the boat.

Call me cynical but I have had other.concerms around issues of capacity and consent.

It is the possibility of subtle pressure that worries me. I understand that safeguards are being built in but I don't feel terribly reassured by this. Things don't always work out in practice the way they are intended.

Here is an example. A few years ago I was asked to sign a consent form for my mom to receive a flu shot while in a rehab hospital.

Above the signature line was the statement "The risks and benefits of receiving the flu shot have been explained to me."

So I pointed out that no one had given me any explanation at all. The response of the staff person asking me to sign was that she would need to call a pharmacist to provide me with an explanation. I asked her to do so but I really got the impression I was rocking the boat.

Call me cynical but I have had other.concerms around issues of capacity and consent.
You shouldn’t feel reassured. Safeguards have been taken out. That’s what C7 was about. Doctors are not trained to help people out of their personal circumstances - like poverty and housing. They are woefully unaware of community services - and without the disability rights lens, we’re just (lesser) people who are “unfixable”.

Ritafee

Is Being Human
Yep. This. I understand this. Folks, it’s not only me. This bill is already hurting us - it has already emotionally harmed a lot of people,

Canada is now the eugenics capital of the world. Congratulations.
I am not disagreeing with this ... I am just wondering ... If I quoted such a statement would it be acceptable.

I am not disagreeing with this ... I am just wondering ... If I quoted such a statement would it be acceptable.
I don’t know. I’ve said similar things in the context of this issue several times over the years, and it wasn’t well received. But this law is real, it’s being passed by our legislators - it’s not some obscure theory. People with disabilities can now ask to be killed for our disabilities - a man with CP ”won” a landmark case set up by lawyers that set a precedent - not because we’re dying. He asked to die because he was poor and couldn’t afford home care - his right to a dignified life was not fought for instead, and he died with MAiD. “They” said that would never happen back in 2015. We said, this is just the beginning of a horrible thing. We were not believed. The opposition to it, though nearly silenced for years, is now getting mainstream coverage...and the UN rapporteurs for disability rights put out statements indicating that we have fallen to a new low in the world. So now maybe it’s okay to say it. There were credible and well established groups whose very lives are affected by the passage and expansion of MAiD speaking out the whole time, though.

Last edited:

Ritafee

Is Being Human
Exactly. Received an email from Garry's sister in law regarding Garry's Dad who is 98 years old with some Dementia and living in assisted care complex

• The vaccine team will be at the Boulton for the first 'vaccine' injection on March 4th. They will return again on March 25th for the second 'vaccine'.
  • Dad has signed the consent form that was reviewed with him.
  • We will make sure Dad gets it to the office tomorrow. He might have done so already.

I personally am not going to make a fuss about this as Dad usually does get his flu shots when they are available.

However, I doubt that he has a real understanding of how this is a different 'experimental' injection.

He has a strong constitution so I am guessing he will be all right.

I think he would be better off if he did not get it but it is not my call to make.

paradox3

@Ritafee

Kind of makes me wonder what would have happened if he declined to give his consent. Would they still have deemed him competent to make the decision about the vaccination?

Lastpointe

I am worried that this slid under the radar, except for Kimmio, because of Covid. I don’t want people getting death on demand. I don’t want people who have terrible quality of life due to mental health, poverty, disability feeling this is a better option. Good health care and proper supports is the better option