Last Post Thread

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Feeling very tired and weak today...wouldn't be quite so bad as I don't plan to do anything today but we have a cousin's wedding to attend tomorrow so resting then.

To me, in your santa photos, I see a strong sense of shared genes between you and sis.

A family wedding! are you bringing kisser or going on your own? Have fun and enjoy dancing.

To me, in your santa photos, I see a strong sense of shared genes between you and sis.

A family wedding! are you bringing kisser or going on your own? Have fun and enjoy dancing.
Oh, we do look a lot alike but sis has more of dad in her than mom. Going with sis and family hopefully...Kisser is unfortunately (for me) in Asia working right now.

This is the LAST official family portrait we had done (thank goodness for church directories!) in 2001, I believe. I'm on the far left ;)

Interestingly, I think the last staged, sitdown one my family had before Mom died was also for a church directory. There are, of course, some family pictures from our wedding, which was the year before she died, but they are mostly standing up, outdoor ones. Not quite as formal or posed as that one.

I like hearing the stories of your mom @BethAnne. It sounds like she was an active lively woman who contributed to the community. It must have been so hard for her in the last while. Not being able to get out and be active must have been tough.

I like hearing the stories of your mom @BethAnne. It sounds like she was an active lively woman who contributed to the community. It must have been so hard for her in the last while. Not being able to get out and be active must have been tough.
Thank you...Very hard...I think that's partly why she gave up because she couldn't be an active part of the boards and groups she had belonged to for YEARS!

This is the very LAST picture we have of Dad in a family photo - Christmas of 2002 - he died at home on Easter Sunday morning (Apr 20/03)

That's sad. At the same time, I do think people often chose when they want to leave. It sounds like your mom left on her terms and peacefully.

That's sad. At the same time, I do think people often chose when they want to leave. It sounds like your mom left on her terms and peacefully.
There is a limit to the "want to leave" - Dad lasted longer than he wanted to and he was even willing himself to die near the end and not...mom was very peaceful thankfully...I know she wanted to be at home like dad was but it just wasn't possible with only me at home - with Dad both sis and I were at home to help.

My mom was in palliative care. She waited until all the family was around her then died. Her mother was in a senior's residence. She had gone down for breakfast then went back to her room. When staff went to check on her, she had died in her favourite chair. I've heard of people who die right after the family has left and they are alone. I suppose it's nice to consider there's choice in the matter.

My mom was in palliative care. She waited until all the family was around her then died. Her mother was in a senior's residence. She had gone down for breakfast then went back to her room. When staff went to check on her, she had died in her favourite chair. I've heard of people who die right after the family has left and they are alone. I suppose it's nice to consider there's choice in the matter.
My concern with dad was that I didn't want mom to be alone when he died but I didn't want to be the one who had to be with her when he passed - and I'd have been the one chosen as I'm the "stronger" but there is a limit to how "strong" I can be...thankfully she called the neighbour when he woke up (had been unresponsive all of Sat) and was talking gibberish so she wasn't alone and I was at church with sis....again, with mom I didn't want her to be alone but I didn't want to be with her - so a nurse was with her, it was quick and I didn't have to be there. When her mom died, my uncle and others were there but I think she was alone at the moment she died - or at least my uncle wasn't in the room - as she died right after he left.

This is what I posted with my daily journal page to the creativity group I belong to...

My mom was my first creativity teacher and mentor, along with my Gramma (mom's mom)...my sister and I grew up learning how to make various handicrafts from both ladies, who encouraged us to be creative and put our own special touch into all we did...and while I have expanded my creative endeavours beyond just the handicrafts with knitting, crochet, baking, painting, etc, I have not strayed far from my handicraft roots either, as I have taught them to my niece...It was my mom who encouraged me, and gave me the opportunities to sell my handicraft creations at craft sales starting when I was 10 years old, and more recently as I set up a sale out of our home...her creative legacy is evident throughout the whole house - whether it is her extensive craft supplies (we almost have enough to be called a store!) or her various patterns and samples.

Yes, it is interesting how knitting & other crafts get passed along in families sometimes. It can be a real bond over the generations.
Interestingly, knitting was passed along in my family via my dad but then I still had to teach myself after he had died...only a couple of knitters that I know of on mom's side...more crocheters, though mom refused to teach me as I'm a leftie even though I do crochet right-handed.

Back