Expressions in English- or other languages

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

That was before AI…
Well, actually, I probably sometimes write close to a 1000 words when I'm prompting generative AI to produce a cover image for a story. The initial prompt isn't that long but then I have to use prompts for some of the more complex editing (simpler stuff i do myself in a program called GIMP, which is similar to the better known Adobe Photoshop). So, yeah, maybe a picture is still worth 1000 words, or at least that seems to be the going rate. :sneaky::ROFLMAO:
 
I think misremembered sayings are the most confusing, especially to literal-minded children. My mother had an odd expression, "hard as the hobs of hell", which she often used to describe, wyrdly, a hard pound of butter straight from fridge. Now, the hobs of hell are terribly hot, I would think (the hob is the shelf at the back of a fireplace used to keep foods warm), but hard only by necessity in that they're a component that must be heat-proof.

"Not on your nelly" is another expression the history of which I know nothing, but my son, on first hearing, asked me what his nelly was...
 
From a Korea Times article we read today in English class, "The rise of sleep maxxing represents a notable shift in a society where sacrificing sleep has long been associated with hard work and ambition. A Korean expression roughly equivalent to "you can sleep when you're dead" reflects an attitude that has often treated sleep as time that could be spent working, studying or improving oneself."

What I recall in English is, "There'll be plenty of time to sleep later"
 
Back
Top