Disrespectful?

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

I have heard that throat singing is meant to be a fun thing and laughter is welcome. Is this true? I have not researched the subject yet.

From Wikipedia

" The resurgence of a once-dying Inuit tradition called katajjaq is currently under way in Canada. Inuit throat singing was a form of entertainment among Inuit women while the men were away on hunting trips. It was an activity that was primarily done by Inuit women, though men also did it. In the Inuit language Inuktitut, throat singing is called katajjaq, pirkusirtuk or nipaquhiit depending on the Canadian Arctic region. It was regarded more as a type of vocal or breathing game in the Inuit culture rather than a form of music. Inuit throat singing is generally done by two individuals but can involve four or more people together as well. In Inuit throat singing, two Inuit women would face each other either standing or crouching down while holding each other's arms. One would lead with short deep rhythmic sounds while the other would respond. The leader would repeat sounds with short gaps in between. The follower would fill in these gaps with her own rhythmic sounds. Sometimes both Inuit women would be doing a dance like movement like rocking from left to right while throat singing. The practice is compared more to a game or competition than to a musical style. In the game, Inuit women sit or stand face-to-face and create rhythmic patterns[citation needed]."
Sounds like fun to me.

I first heard of this style of singing from a documentary on American legend Richard Feynman. One of his dreams was to go to Tuva, a teeny country in the Republic of Russia

Here is an example of their music

Last edited:
The Inuit throat singing tradition got a bit of a boost a couple years ago when Inuit pop singer Tagaq, who is trained in throat singing, won the Polaris Prize for an album incorporating it. Will hunt up one of her videos later.

Shell Don ... that hard shelled intellect without sensitivities does it from time to time to add to the Big Bang Project ...

One should devise their time beta ... more Ba Lance ... soul penetrating rather than excess heartbreak ... El Vis'!

The Don is depressing to night lasses ... little Maas about with in the work pool! The waters settle ... until later dissonance ... under the eye of da Vid'us ... that splitting factor ... eclectic aesthetics? Why sects are poor no graphic ... you can see the ankh build ...

The primal essence thus provided for sectarian relief ... thus the carving out of the Wahl's ... monstrous forms in the dark caves of mine ... sub lime'nation? Release of the Boss a Nova ... Nous World Syncretism ... Moor tuit than appears ...

Yet many are still uptight ... ET is the way it is here ...

Last edited:
To be honest after watching the video, I didn't realize they were throat singing even though I had heard it before from other nations. I didn't know that this was part of indigenous natives culture until seeing this. So my first impression was, what the heck? Camilla's laughter made me wonder if she was as ignorant as I was, although it would probably have been more appropriate if she turned to someone and asked what they were doing if that was the case. Curious if anyone announced what was taking place before the event?
Live and learn.

This isn't from Tanya Tagaq's Polaris winner, but her latest. The throat singing is kind of in the background in this one but you can hear her applying the techniques at times in her singing.

And what happens when Inuit culture meets Black culture? Tanya Tagaq teaming up with London rapper Shad.

As for whether the Prince and Duchess were being disrespectful, it depends why they were laughing and what they were laughing at. If laughter was an appropriate response to something happening, then it was not. If they were actually laughing because they thought throat singing was silly or funny, then maybe.

I've read several reports now about Charles and Camilla "giggling" during the performance. I haven't seen any comment from anyone in the native community suggest that this was disrespectful. It seems to have been mostly an issue in the British media, which makes me wonder if this isn't an example of non-natives putting their cultural assumptions over and above the culture of First Nations people?

The little bit I've read on throat-singing does suggest that a part of the purpose of throat singing is, indeed, entertainment. Perhaps laughter isn't out of place.

There is a myth that laughter is good for the sol ... don't know whether it is the disposition of laughter by insecure tyrants ... or the idea that the sol is only an essence and not real as a darker side of the emote dimension ...

Could be the shadow of sub-con science ... something the sectarian powers are blind to?

an example of non-natives putting their cultural assumptions over and above the culture of First Nations people

Unfortunately, we see this all too often anymore. "Politically correct" busybodies getting offended on behalf of groups that are quite capable of deciding for themselves what is and is not offensive.

I just read a Twitter thread on the weekend by an author whose story was criticized for being offensive to the mentally ill even though it was based on her own experience of mental illness and got a fair bit of sympathy from those with related forms of mental illness.

Sometimes, we need to leave the decision as to what is offensive to those who might be offended rather than arrogantly acting on their behalf before we know what they really think.

So you want a simple altered state of consciousness that is drug free?

Just find a quiet relaxing place.where you wont be bothered and listen to some Tibetan Throat Singing

Something aboot it...

And they use a technique called circular breathing which musicians here prolly already know aboot...that's why throat singers can sustain a note 4 a loooong time...*envy*

Back