Canadian Entertainment

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Jae

Why is it Canadians don't tend to favor our own entertainments? Last night I went to the cinema to see the Canadian-Irish film Maudie, and the theater had only about ten of us in it. The vast majority of people were in the theaters showing American films - Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, and Wonder Woman.

22 Minutes: Newfoundland Tourism Ad Parody - YouTube

I have been laughing myself to death over this for about a year now.

True Anecdote.

A friend is visiting us in St. Anthony last year and is interested in doing some fly fishing so I drive him to a local stream. I don't trout so I just recline beside the stream attempting to make a serious dent in the ravenous critter population and shoot the breeze with my friend. Some locals come along, decide they are going to go down river from us and as they walk by I notice that they are watching my friend pretty intently.

Could be they are thinking of asking him how his luck has been.

Instead they ask, "Are you a doctor?" He is not. He originally hails from Jamaica and currently works with the Canadian Rangers. "What makes you think he's a doctor?" I ask with a bit of a grin. "Oh, uh, he looks like someone I know."

Which is probably true. Most of the Doctors here in St. Anthony are black or brown.

Probably the most complementary racist question eh? "Skin colour like that, you must be the new doctor. What do you think mate, should we make an appointment and have him repair that torn Labrum?"

Just recently one of our Doctors was dismissed without cause, the community is pretty worked up about it and most are spitting mad at the hospital. Reporting has been a little spotty and there are a lot of folk here who have no idea what Dismissal without Cause means. Probably because if you are fired from the fish plant or one of the boats your foreman or skipper probably told you in colourful terms why the hell you were unemployed.

Nobody comes right out and says what the issue was, there were enough hints dropped that an educated guess likely wouldn't miss by much.

Here's another. I just about died when I saw he was toasting bread over the fireplace. So true to Newfoundland.

Back