Canada Reads

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Pronouns
She/Her/Her
Anyone else going to try to read the books? I always listen to it, even if I haven't read all/any of them.

This year's 5:

Five Little Indians by Michelle Good. I'm about 4 chapters into this, but it's back on my library hold list. And it's a good read. It's about residential school survivors and their lives after school. Not as depresssing, thus far, as you'd expect. Rather more heartening at the resilience of humanity, again, thus far.
Scarborough by Catherine Hernandez. I read part of the first chapter, and I think it will be interesting, but I was reading two others at the same time, so it went back on the library hold list untouched
What Strange Paradise by Omar El Akkad. Doesn't seem to be available on library website, although it's listed. I can't borrow or hold, only "save for later", which if pressed, returns an error message.
Life in the City of Dirty Water by Clayton Thomas-Muller. Same problem as What Strange Paradise. These both imply that I'll be able to read them at some point, which is an improvement on last year, when I actually had to purchase one (e-book, so cheaper than paper book, and doesn't add to my book problem).
Washington Black by Esi Edugyan. I'm reading this one right now, and I can't put it down. Set in 1830 Barbados, told from the POV of a teenaged field slave who ends up as a very talented artist, and assistant to a scientist working on hot air balloons, but is also 1/2 blind and very disfigured by an accident.

Washington Black by Esi Edugyan. I'm reading this one right now, and I can't put it down. Set in 1830 Barbados, told from the POV of a teenaged field slave who ends up as a very talented artist, and assistant to a scientist working on hot air balloons, but is also 1/2 blind and very disfigured by an accident.
I believe this one is being filmed. I think I saw some casting news recently.

I barely read anything these days, mostly shorter stuff that fits my "profile", i.e. fantasy and horror. Novels just seem to be impossible for me to stick with unless they really compel me in some way. And I mean REALLY compel me.

Try Washington Black. It's really compelling me. OTOH, it's really friggin' long. Fortunately, I have a childhood "speed reading" technique that has enabled me to read Lord of the Rings (the whole trilogy - six books, over 1000 pages) in a day. That started early and ended late and didn't entail much of anything else, like eating. You miss some detail, but can absorb a really long enormous story at once. And then when you love it, you re-read it, many more times, carefully

And it's why I can't get through more academic books, like Sapiens and Homo Deus, or Picketty's Capitalism, at any speed. I have to stop to reflect on bits.

It is said bits, bites and chits are as important as chit lings ... much material hidden there as immaterial to some psyche!

Back