Time's Up, and pay equity

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

I just came across this article... It should be hard to believe, but it unfortunately isn't. After Kevin Spacey was erased from the movie, All the Money in the World, and replaced with Christopher Plummer; co-stars Michelle Williams and Mark Wahlberg were called back in for ten days of re-shooting scenes. Wahlberg was paid $1.5M for those ten days, while Williams only got $1000 in per diems for the same work! Wahlberg confirmed this was the case, and donated $1.5M to The Time's Up Defense Fund, in Williams' name. Good for him...but God it makes me mad that even happened - especially in light of the reason the reshoot had to happen in the first place - ultimately, that is, because of men with disproportionate privilege abusing power - ethically (or maybe just to salvage potential box office losses) the producers had to do something about Spacey, but that's as far as they thought it through. How many times has this sort of thing happened before, across sectors, and continues to? Lots, I think.

Mark Wahlberg donating $1.5M to Time's Up fund after All The Money In The World pay controversy

Last edited:
To be fair, part of the problem is the studios' reliance on testosterone fueled tentpoles as their money makers. With the success of Wonder Woman and with more female roles opening up in the Marvel universe (Captain Marvel, starring Brie Larson, is upcoming in a year or two, and the next Antman, Antman and The Wasp, has two significant female roles as well) we may see things start to shift. I hope.

I just came across this article... It should be hard to believe, but it unfortunately isn't. After Kevin Spacey was erased from the movie, All the Money in the World, and replaced with Christopher Plummer; co-stars Michelle Williams and Mark Wahlberg were called back in for ten days of re-shooting scenes. Wahlberg was paid $1.5M for those ten days, while Williams only got $1000 in per diems for the same work! Wahlberg confirmed this was the case, and donated $1.5M to The Time's Up Defense Fund, in Williams' name. Good for him...but God it makes me mad that even happened - especially in light of the reason the reshoot had to happen in the first place - ultimately, that is, because of men with disproportionate privilege abusing power - ethically (or maybe just to salvage potential box office losses) the producers had to do something about Spacey, but that's as far as they thought it through. How many times has this sort of thing happened before, across sectors, and continues to? Lots, I think.

Mark Wahlberg donating $1.5M to Time's Up fund after All The Money In The World pay controversy

And they say there's no such thing as spatial minds ... now is that out there?

To be fair, part of the problem is the studios' reliance on testosterone fueled tentpoles as their money makers. With the success of Wonder Woman and with more female roles opening up in the Marvel universe (Captain Marvel, starring Brie Larson, is upcoming in a year or two, and the next Antman, Antman and The Wasp, has two significant female roles as well) we may see things start to shift. I hope.

After that the gloves or the pan*TZ come off and the relationship get messy ... someone's due to get hellic ally ramped ... wedges'?

Back