Fossil Fuel divestment

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Mendalla

Happy headbanging ape!!
Pronouns
He/Him/His
What do people think of the movement to divest from fossil fuels? The Unitarian Universalist Association voted to do it at their general assembly a few weeks back (this is only binding on the UUA itself, each congregation will have to make its own decision as well) and the Canadian Unitarian Council did it a couple years ago. I saw via the UCCan Twitter feed that the World Council of Churches has done so. I'm thinking that the UCCan has done so as well but I don't have a cite for it.

Is this a good move towards encouraging the movement away from fossil fuels or are we just cutting ourselves off from a lucrative investment while putting more shares on the market for those who are into making money at any cost?

And no, I don't really have an opinion on it at this point. I'm still thinking it through.

It makes sense if the funds that were invested in fossil fuels are invested in alternative energy sources or conservation.

Back