This is why we need human rights legislation. The complainants were asked to prepay their restaurant bill because they are black. The judge ruled in favour of the complainant, $10000.
The same thing happened to me last summer at a Japanese restaurant downtown. I was outside on the patio by the door, then I decided to go inside (with my walker), because it was breezy. The server came out, I asked for a table...she told me up front that I had to prepay if I wanted a table because of bla blah. I can't remember the excuse, I think dine and dash, but this was a full service, licensed, restaurant, not fast food. And other people were being brought their bills after their meals. I remember thinking it was odd...maybe it was because of "dine and dashers" but I couldn't be dashing very far, very fast, very inconspicuously, even if I wanted to...so it was politely veiled discrimination. I was hungry. Japanese food is the most reasonably priced after fast food, and there are not as many places here as in Vancouver, it would be quite a walk to another one...I felt like California roll...so I stayed. Oh, I remember now. When I pulled out a $20 and had it sitting there, she changed her mind and let me order and pay after. I never bothered with a complaint. I'm glad these men did complain about their treatment.
Toronto restaurant ordered to pay $10,000 after asking Black patrons to prepay for their meals | The Star
The same thing happened to me last summer at a Japanese restaurant downtown. I was outside on the patio by the door, then I decided to go inside (with my walker), because it was breezy. The server came out, I asked for a table...she told me up front that I had to prepay if I wanted a table because of bla blah. I can't remember the excuse, I think dine and dash, but this was a full service, licensed, restaurant, not fast food. And other people were being brought their bills after their meals. I remember thinking it was odd...maybe it was because of "dine and dashers" but I couldn't be dashing very far, very fast, very inconspicuously, even if I wanted to...so it was politely veiled discrimination. I was hungry. Japanese food is the most reasonably priced after fast food, and there are not as many places here as in Vancouver, it would be quite a walk to another one...I felt like California roll...so I stayed. Oh, I remember now. When I pulled out a $20 and had it sitting there, she changed her mind and let me order and pay after. I never bothered with a complaint. I'm glad these men did complain about their treatment.
Toronto restaurant ordered to pay $10,000 after asking Black patrons to prepay for their meals | The Star
Last edited: