What are you watching these days?

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Tonight we watched "The Fabelmans" - recommend it :) Coming of age film loosely based on the earlier family life of Stephen Spielberg. Well cast, story draws you in, some curious ethical dilemmas emerge as a result of the protagonists early film making exploits. It is long tho - I think 2.5hours - which probably seemed longer as I was getting thirsty & wanting a glass of water after having had pizza for supper!

We're watching Let Him Go on Netflix right. It's both warm and wholesome and also very dark and creepy. It's about a couple (Kevin Costner and Diane Lane) who go from Montana to North Dakota to get their grandson after their daughter-in-law marries another man. It addresses Indian Residential Schools along the line. We're half an hour from the end right now. Not sure how this will go.....

Did anyone watch I Am Mother? Despite all the holes in the plot, it still managed to be a really chilling dystopic movie. I think you need to be a fan of sci-fi or speculative work, but I thought it was perfection.
Very dark but not gory. Subtle. Had me thinking for days. It had an all woman cast too.

That ending bothered me alot. Everyone seems to have lost, especially the grandmother.

It was definitely a disturbing ending. There was so much wholesomeness and beautiful photography in the movie then that.

SPOILER ALERT

On Reddit people are commenting on the similarities between the two grandmothers ....
Another spoiler alert!!!

Absolutely, even the one I'm sure was considered the nicest one, was very covert with her controlling nature, IMO.

Another spoiler alert!!!

Absolutely, even the one I'm sure was considered the nicest one, was very covert with her controlling nature, IMO.
SPOILER ALERT continues.

Agree. I both saw it and didn't see it as I watched the movie.

And what do you make of the title? ("Let Him Go")?

Who needs to let go of whom???

SPOILER ALERT continues.

Agree. I both saw it and didn't see it as I watched the movie.

And what do you make of the title? ("Let Him Go")?

Who needs to let go of whom???
Ha, good question! Well for me I dont believe anybody needed to let go altogether...the Moms needed to loosen the reins. Hopefully the baby's Mom gets her own place and doesnt continue with the obsessing and the neediness that the women role models demonstrated to her. I'd like to think the young woman and former mother in law would create some kind of friendship...but who knows.
Part 2?
Who do you think needs to let go of whom?

There certainly is a lot of material to ponder. Most of it is in the last half hour or so.

Did anyone recognize momma Weboy? She is British and played Princess Margaret. Clearly she has acting chops since the two roles are quite different from each other.

For a total change of pace - we watched the movie "Everything, Everywhere, All the Time". Great cast, fast moving, wacky action adventure, lots of unexpected & often bizzarre twists to the story! Here's one online description - "Directed by Daniel Kwan and Daniel Scheinert, collectively known as Daniels, the film is a hilarious and big-hearted sci-fi action adventure about an exhausted Chinese American woman (Michelle Yeoh) who can't seem to finish her taxes."

There certainly is a lot of material to ponder. Most of it is in the last half hour or so.

Did anyone recognize momma Weboy? She is British and played Princess Margaret. Clearly she has acting chops since the two roles are quite different from each other.
No I didn't recognize Mama Weboy as Princess Margaret from The Crown. I did find her face familiar however

Back