Renovations

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Nothing against you. Just expressing my opinion of that sink. As I said, you are welcome to it.

Oh God, I hate those sinks. They have neither form nor function IME, IMHO. Even the more conventionally shaped ones that sit atop the counter rather than in it. You are welcome to it, but keep it away from my bathroom.
I also feel the same way about pedestal sinks. We have one of those. No plans to switch it out though - one day we'll get to it.

If I had picked it I would choose a nice etched glass one. Really, I was pointing out that the faucet was too close to the edge. Otherwise I like it.

Pedestal sinks look nice but are a pain for putting on make-up etc. no place to set anything down.

We have a pedestal sink in our powder room. Builder's standard. Hate it.

image.jpg I'm sorry I told you to stuff it, Mendalla. I guess I found it rude - when someone shows you a glimpse of their home - to say "Oh God, I hate that." I wasn't showing a stock photo. I got a bit triggered - because all I wanted to point out or maybe get comment on was the positioning/ closeness of the faucet even if my photography doesn't do the room justice - it's quite nice, imo.

It does, indeed, look cute.

If you want to talk about triggered, though, I am hysterically oversensitive to this "appearance" stuff recently, thanks to work. All anyone cares about is that everything "looks good/consistent". No-one seems to give a flying crap about the integrity of the process, the underlying information, etc.

Our house is on the extreme end of 'basic and practical'. Despite getting older with very little in the way of renos, we like that it works for us. It was easily affordable and is easily cleaned up. We have sufficient room for the two of us and some comfy chairs for visitors, Pretty much an economy 1980 home - recently changed the flooring and kitchen Arborite. We keep it painted. The bathroom fixtures are original green except for the toilets. The downstairs shower doesn't leak.

Mine is an early 60s bungalow in a nice neighbourhood with mature trees. Very unimproved. Everything works fine (except those things that are currently in process, like the blasted furnace that was diagnosed terminal this a.m.), nothing is improved. There is one telephone jack in the entire house, the lack of outlets gets a bit tiresome, the kitchen doesn't even have a dishwasher, the basement is half finished, no air conditioning (and that decision was confirmed today). I keep it painted, somewhat uniquely, there's a ton of original artwork on the walls, and the original hardwood floors are nice. The gardens are eclectically, somewhat messily, productive, colourful, interesting. I have nice sturdy fences, both for privacy, and for dog containment.

I often find it difficult for a woman alone to find good tradespeople, to afford them, to have access to the tools and knowledge to manage a house on your own. It's easier if you have a couple with a variety of skills, I think.

Last edited:
View attachment 780 I'm sorry I told you to stuff it, Mendalla. I guess I found it rude - when someone shows you a glimpse of their home - to say "Oh God, I hate that." I wasn't showing a stock photo. I got a bit triggered - because all I wanted to point out or maybe get comment on was the positioning/ closeness of the faucet even if my photography doesn't do the room justice - it's quite nice, imo.

I like the sink Cousin. It looks natural, organic.

We have a sink in our basement washroom which somehow has not fallen down despite being held up by only one of four original legs.

Thanks. Considering how far I've come in a year or so - I felt like someone with sluggish and/ or unpredictable middle aged hormones (which is another issue these days) who has just lost a lot of weight - simply wanting to point out a flaw in the fabric of a new outfit - being told, "You look fat in those pants." And I reacted. "how dare you! Roar!" That was the feeling and the reaction. I'm a little defensive of my style it would seem.

Last edited:
To be fair you were dissing it, but i understand

I am really glad that you have such a great place kimmio. I think it is home when you start to notice the idiosyncrasies and adapt to them

I was just dissing the dribbling water - if the faucet hung a tad more over the sink and there was sturdy waterproof varnish on the wood I wouldn't even be complaining. I think the way the sink was done is really creative and stylish. I was over the moon when I first saw this place - there's a skylight in the bathroom which you can't see. I like the look of this style of sink - have since the style first came out. I have no functionality issue other than the water dripping down the side. It works fine for washing hands and face and brushing teeth -I don't know what other function I need it for that the kitchen sink wouldn't serve. I don't know what I really need to lift into it to pour that would be too hard to do. The most I have lifted and poured into it is the remainder of a glass of water. I haven't had anything I need to brush into it, like any broken makeup palettes (I did drop one on the floor once and had to sweep and mop it). I could brush it off the counter some other way, I'm sure - into my hand, into a dustpan, wipe with a damp cloth - that would be just as easy or difficult. Also, the issue of the shower. I won't bother posting a photo. It also looks good. I just don't like devoting too much time in the bathroom to wiping up stray water. That was my complaint.

Last edited:
I like the look of the basin as a bowl for say on a kitchen table. The style of your place is nice. As a sink it's not my thing, although I do know it is for many others.

Mine is an early 60s bungalow in a nice neighbourhood with mature trees. Very unimproved. Everything works fine (except those things that are currently in process, like the blasted furnace that was diagnosed terminal this a.m.), nothing is improved. There is one telephone jack in the entire house, the lack of outlets gets a bit tiresome, the kitchen doesn't even have a dishwasher, the basement is half finished, no air conditioning (and that decision was confirmed today). I keep it painted, somewhat uniquely, there's a ton of original artwork on the walls, and the original hardwood floors are nice. The gardens are eclectically, somewhat messily, productive, colourful, interesting. I have nice sturdy fences, both for privacy, and for dog containment.

I often find it difficult for a woman alone to find good tradespeople, to afford them, to have access to the tools and knowledge to manage a house on your own. It's easier if you have a couple with a variety of skills, I think.

Bette - your house seems to be a lot like mine. 60s bungalow - kitchen, bathroom, bedroom across the back; livingroom and two smaller bedrooms across the front. Basement only partly roughly finished with a laundry and deep freeze in one room, Seelerman's train layout in another, and the rest for storage and hoarding. We'eve done a few improvements over the years: window in eat-in kitchen replaced with patio doors and a deck; old bathtub replaced with tub-surround when we got new siding 20 years ago, a vanity, shelves and just recently a new toilet. Oil furnace replaced with electric - still using hot water heating. Airconditioning - unit stuck in the livingroom wall, and a portable in the bedroom. We raised two kids, their friends, our granddaughter (first 5 years of her life), dogs and cats here - and now its fine for the two of us until we need assisted-living.

Back