Renovations

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

chansen

Still waiting...
Pronouns
He/Him/His
One of the things I've posted about here before is finishing the basement of our house. It has been such an on-again-off-again thing. I started when Carter was injured. Back then, the plan was to build a 500 sq.ft. rec room/therapy gym based on what we were using at Bloorview Kids Rehab. And if you know me, you know I could and would have pretty much re-created that place. Oh yeah, and a pretty kick ass 400 sq.ft. workshop.

Things change, and the therapy gym was going to be an office/workout area and rec room for Claire and friends. I mostly finished the workshop first so I had some working area. But then our friends wanted a finished basement, and I wasn't employed and money was tight. So I finished a 1700 sq.ft. basement, pretty much by myself (didn't install spray foam and didn't tape drywall, but did everything else) with a yoga studio, bedroom with new basement window cut into the foundation wall, shared bathroom and workshop. Those basement improvements increased the value of the house by $100K according to an agent, but this put our basement off by another year.

Then I got a job, delaying it again. Then Zach, so the rec room was now for Zach and Claire. Then I had the opportunity to start my own company last spring, so the workout area became an plan for an office. I quit my job and restarted the basement office, when work called a week later and asked if I could come back for two projects? I did. A third project was added. I finished them by the fall, quit again and got back to work downstairs. I was almost immediately called back by my employer again to save a project in distress. I went. Then I was hired to do some structural design, so I was off the emergency job, which I was told was in good hands and I told them it wasn't. Finished the design around Christmas, and went back to the work in the basement. Got another call. Emergency job was completely messed up in my absence and could I go back? I did. The guys they left in charge completely messed it up. Badly. It was more than I could fix by myself. I told them that, and quit again. And here we are.

The house is a disaster. Dishes and clothes are routinely washed, but some things haven't been cleaned or done in three years of work and plain unwillingness. Carter's room is pretty much how it was, with some things of his stored there. Toys and books come out as Zach is ready for them. But he's not sleeping in there yet. That's gonna be difficult.

But the office is at the taping stage. A few more days, and I have a good place to work and spread out drawings, other than the kitchen table. And this will open up more storage space, which we'll use to declutter our lives. We have so much to donate still. We can't manage to find a taker for a manual hospital bed. We have a custom therapy table in his room still. So much other stuff.

This will come as a shock to some of you, but I'm a complete control freak. I need to do this myself. Everyone tells me to hire, and it would be way faster and probably even cheaper in the long run, but this is our home and no one else will be careful enough. I can do almost every trade well, if slow. First you get good, then you get fast. I'm only good at most things.

40 years from now, someone is going to buy this place from our kids. They will want to update the basement and take down the ceiling and some walls. It's put together so strongly that I feel sorry for them already. I think I'll leave a note of condolence inside a wall.

Coffee break over.

Three cheers for getting on with projects! Glad you've got some time now to get this underway again.

Have you heard of Canadian Disability Resources? They have several services re equipment - things can be donated, which then are refurbished & distributed; or sold in their classified section. I have not personally dealt with them, so you would of course do your due diligence.

Yes, it will be a big step for sure to clear Carter's old room & make a fresh new space for Zach. You've done a great job of that transition in other aspects of your life, and I'm confident you'll tackle this one when ready.

Okay - back to work!!

looking good - taping is HARD. We home handypeople don't do any of these tasks often enough to get fast at them either - by the time job is done, we've got it figured out!

Are you putting LED bulbs in those pot lights? We just replaced most of ours. The regular pots create so much heat - the LEDs do not, so I like them much better.

They're all LED. Even the temporary bulbs are. There will be 32 of them down there. More light per square foot in the office than elsewhere for obvious reasons. Wiring them takes forever.

There's also a group in St. Catherines I think called "For the Needy not the Greedy". Maybe I'll take the equipment to one of those places.

Looks good! Love seeing this stuff. I don't trust Chemguy to do much though. As it was I was questioning him when he started tearing up more grass for the garden boxes as I felt like the plot was pretty big - that turned out really well. When he put the shed together (kit) with some others though he started to take a tool to cut holes into the wall as things didn't match up - until he realized he had the pieces flipped backwards. So my lack of trust isn't totally unfounded.

He wants to develop our basement someday. I question the need. I do my seed starting down there, and spill some dirt and water at times. He paints models and makes a good mess with powdery stuff that makes fake grass. We have an office, great room and bonus room for living space already. If we do get around to getting it done, I think we'll be hiring people for a good majority of it.

We have a den, but it's a little small with a piano in it. It also gets a lot of sun gain in the morning. This office is plenty big. The area on the right is a storage closet. We'll probably just curtain it off and build shelving in there. That's why I didn't bulkhead around the plumbing stack. There's a large spare bedroom, but if I put an office in there and my parents are staying over...awkward.

This place is already too big, but a basement the kids can use is pretty important to us. And I can't live without a workshop. Even if I'm not building anything. I have more tools to collect.

But no more drywall tools. Once the basement is done, most of them go on Kijiji. No more major drywall jobs for me.

We have enough square footage on the main and upper floors that we've let the basement just be storage and utilities. There's a rough-in for a 3 piece washroom and we haven't even done that. At this point, we're going to be shrinking, not growing, assuming Little M does go out of town for uni so I imagine finishing the basement will be a project for the second owner (we're the first). I am not handy enough to do a basement myself anyway. I've done minor jobs (hung a door in the rec room, put a shower door on Little M's tub) but I'm not really especially good around tools.

If I was going to do it, I'd hunt down the guy who built my deck and book shelves. He did a lot of basements in the subdivision North of mine and had a massive workshop in his own house. He moved a few years ago but we still see him around sometimes so I imagine I could hunt him down if I needed him. Other option is the guy who fixed my kitchen door and floor last summer. He's a contractor that my boss uses for office work and is pretty reliable and very focussed on quality.

However, I'd be more likely to reno my main floor (merge rec room and living room into a great room) than finish the basement.

We have plenty of washrooms here. My parent's house has one washroom. Now I have so many options when I pee that I can't decide. Our house was designed using the motto, "Lets give them all sorts of things to clean!"

We have plenty of washrooms here. My parent's house has one washroom. Now I have so many options when I pee that I can't decide. Our house was designed using the motto, "Lets give them all sorts of things to clean!"

My birth family (2 adults, 3 boys) got by with one bathroom until I was in my teens or so, when Dad got help (someone from the church IIRC) to install a powder room in the basement. It could get hairy when the stomach flu hit. :D

In my present family, we have as many bathrooms as human beings, a master in our suite, a main which Little M uses and a 2 piece powder room off the entrance hall (and we could have one more as noted).

Who would have thunk that bathroom inflation would be a thing?

And my birth family (3 girls, at one point all three of us in high school) got by with one bathroom. It was a fricking nightmare for a few years. My father left the house early, my mother didn't emerge from her bedroom until we were all gone. I had one sister who had to FUSS with her hair.

After going through all this renovation in the last house ... when we moved back to Fredericton area ... we bought a house without a basement ... so as Graeme said ... we don't have to express opinions on renovations of anything ... but on can create fun by thinking of odd things ...

After going through all this renovation in the last house ... when we moved back to Fredericton area ... we bought a house without a basement ... so as Graeme said ... we don't have to express opinions on renovations of anything ... but on can create fun by thinking of odd things ...
Would be difficult to find a house like that here! While hunting we saw one that stated on MLS it had no basement - some people really do need to pay for a realtor.

There's also, almost always, depending on your elevation, etc., water problems of some sort with basements. I live just south of a submerged creek, and we get some wet basements here. My old guy lives quite near the lake, and we've watched a number of basements dug, fill up with water, repeat, etc.; lot of sump pumps on 24/7 'round there, and his is also a township that experiences a lot of power outages. If I were going to build there - no basement.

There's also, almost always, depending on your elevation, etc., water problems of some sort with basements. I live just south of a submerged creek, and we get some wet basements here. My old guy lives quite near the lake, and we've watched a number of basements dug, fill up with water, repeat, etc.; lot of sump pumps on 24/7 'round there, and his is also a township that experiences a lot of power outages. If I were going to build there - no basement.

The only time we've had an issue was when our sump pump acted up. After a couple rounds of that, the damn plumber stopped trying to fix it and put a much better one in. I think that one's being running without a problem for a decade now.

Our sump pump does run often. We do have a backup and would certainly keep that area as is.

No sump pump here. Drainage is good and we have storm sewers. Can't say the same for my parents house. The basement flooded every few years.

No sump pump here. Drainage is good and we have storm sewers. Can't say the same for my parents house. The basement flooded every few years.

We're on the edge of a moraine and the soil is basically solid clay below about two feet so the drainage sucks big time.

Back