"Woke"

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

I would also note regarding the 2022 midterms, that the Republicans were expecting a huge red wave to roll into Congress; though they won a majority, it was nowhere near the numbers they were hoping for. Also the Senate remained with a Democratic majority.

And you should realize, every time you type the phrase "progressive wokers," it's a compliment, whether it not you intended it that way.

Stay Woke!!

Old article.

Again, the term "woke" is thrown out without an understanding of what the term means.
You need to keep up with current understanding. No American gives a damn what "woke" meant in the distant past. Now it's use by progressives is a recipe for disdain and defeat. The posted article predicts this woke defeat for the 2022 election and the Dem. loss of the House proves it.
More importantly, Dems. recognize this and understandably shun the term like the plague.
That's why James Carville laments Dem. woke stupidity. And he was the major player for both Bill Clinton and Hillary's presidential campaigns!

And yet, the term "woke stupidity" gets thrown out with little regard to what it actually means. It's a way to shut down dissent. If someone can't handle when their opinion is opposed, the opposing opinion must be "woke".

People like Hitler and other strongmen pushed the fear of "The Left" in order to advance their agenda. The old "leftist" bogeyman argument doesn't end well.

I would think someone who follows Jesus would have half a clue and would want to follow Jesus' "woke" teachings. You know, how we treat the least of these, hanging out with lowlifes and outcasts and all that.

And yet, the term "woke stupidity" gets thrown out with little regard to what it actually means. It's a way to shut down dissent. If someone can't handle when their opinion is opposed, the opposing opinion must be "woke"
Duh, that's because NOW "woke" refers to reparations for past slavery, defunding the police, allowing open borders, using politically correct terminology, cancel culture (especially an intolerance of dissent to their lib agenda). and crude stereotypes of conservatives. For example, wokers can't imagine conservatives voting for Trump on the basis of his excellent policies in spite of his offensively arrogant personality, given the disastrous alternative.
In my experience conservatives are show more compassion to the poor and needy than progressives, but, unlike wokers, I don't genernalize.

Wokers mischaracterize MAGA Republicans as "heartless." But consider these 3 counter-examples:
(1) Our little MAGA city is now planning to build homes for the homeless and is buying houses for use in providing showers, free clothing, centers for addiction recovery, etc.
(2) Rick was a member of my prayer group who was militantly anti-vax during the Covid epidemic and not a supporter of LGBTQ ordination. But Rick and his friends financed well drilling in poor rural Kenyan villages, so that their women would no longer need to walk a couple of miles to croc-infested rivers to get water.

(3) Ken was a conservative evangelical member of my Bible study. But Ken and his friends organized famine relief efforts in Ethiopia for fleeing Sudanese refugees from the constant warfare there. Then they parried Ethiopian political changes and obstacles (a) first to get doctors brought in to treat the various ailments of these Sudanese refugees and (b) then to help establish a partnership with a US med school to set up a med school there to train the Sudanese to become doctors and treat their own people.

In my experience conservatives are show more compassion to the poor and needy than progressives, but, unlike wokers, I don't genernalize.

You do generalize when you say all wokers do or support ________ You generalized in this post.

I spent many years in a very conservative part of Canada. Yes, conservatives do care about others and many walk the walk.

There are both good and bad on each side.

Splitting the world into a binary of "woke" liberal vs conservative is generalizing and doesn't benefit anyone.

"MAGA" a là MTG or Matt Gaetz et al is different from "conservative". We need good healthy conservative.

Using labels to delegitimize our opponent doesn't serve anyone, especially when coming from a "Christian".

You do generalize when you say all wokers do or support ________
Such generalizations can be warranted. You keep ducking my question why even progressives now shun the term "woke" because of the odious generalizations for which it stands.
I spent many years in a very conservative part of Canada. Yes, conservatives do care about others and many walk the walk.
I've waited so long to tease out that admission.
"MAGA" a là MTG or Matt Gaetz et al is different from "conservative". We need good healthy con
Now you undermine what you just said: most Republicans will vote for Trump and that makes them MAGA by definition.
You seem to demonize the term by applying to a select few you despise.

Such generalizations can be warranted.

Oh, so if you do it, it's warranted. If someone else does it, it's bad. Got it

You keep ducking my question why even progressives now shun the term "woke" because of the odious generalizations for which it stands.

When have you asked that? I don't believe that progressives shun the legitimate use of the word "woke". It's a problem when it's used as a generalized insult. You know, the way you use it.

I've waited so long to tease out that admission

I've said as much before. You'd know that if you had read anything I've written. You've been more interested in insulting and assumptions than reading apparently.

Now you undermine what you just said: most Republicans will vote for Trump and that makes them MAGA by definition.
You seem to demonize the term by applying to a select few you despise.

No. There are people who have self-declared themselves to be MAGA or extreme MAGA. Those are the people who have been causing the problems. I have not ever said that most Republicans will vote for trump. Ever. Nor have I ever said most Republicans are MAGA. Again, if you'd read anything I've written you would know that. I specifically said that MAGA does not represent Republicans and that there are more reasonable Republicans than MAGA. If only they had the courage to speak out. Many though are leaving public service because of the current state of the Republicans in the house.

You would do well to drop the ad hominem and assumptions and actually read the comments people you insult write.

What you don't get is that by supporting Trump most Republicans consider themselves MAGA.
Nor do you get the consistent avoidance of woke-identification by American Democrats.
That's because the term "woke" stands for an unpopular left-wing ideology that turns off the majority of Americans.
Even James Carville, Mr. Democrat himself, blames wokeism for Dem. losses in the recent election.

I know it's hard for you to believe, but I'm still praying that your cancer will go into permanent remission--and just to underscore that point, I won't use the the term "woke" again. It's been an interesting spiritual journey--my need to defend Trump, a man whose nasty comments I so often find so repulsive.

I really don't understand why you are putting so much energy into defending trump. Sure, he has shown some kindness. He has also done things that have gotten him indicted. Many of those things have been done in the public eye and recorded for all to see.

He has shown a clear pattern of demonizing anyone who criticizes him or disagree with him. He demonstrates DARVO - deny, attack, reverse victim order. That is likely one explanation for why reasonable people in the Republican party don't stand up to him. It may cost them their career, and possibly safety. There is plenty of evidence to support that. All in the public eye.

I really hope that wisdom in whatever form prevails. We need it more than ever, on both sides of the border and around the world.

You need to keep up with current understanding. No American gives a damn what "woke" meant in the distant past. Now it's use by progressives is a recipe for disdain and defeat. The posted article predicts this woke defeat for the 2022 election and the Dem. loss of the House proves it.
More importantly, Dems. recognize this and understandably shun the term like the plague.
That's why James Carville laments Dem. woke stupidity. And he was the major player for both Bill Clinton and Hillary's presidential campaigns!
I actually don’t hear the word woke coming from anyone except the far right these days. I don’t hear people calling themselves that - I hear the far right using it as an insult, moreso. It’s now most commonly right wing lexicon that the Trump supporting public accepts without a second thought. Because it’s been co-opted - first as a way for even the most semi socially aware neoliberal “progressives” to pat themselves on the back - then as a right wing propaganda word to discredit and smear anything with a hint of any social justice/ minority anti-oppression attached to it. The latter is all I hear anymore.

Last edited:

Woke has become distorted beyond recognition’​

It’s mostly people who don’t understand the original connotation of “woke” who still say woke. They can have it. Whether we’re talking about “critical race theory” from Black scholars, “identity politics” from Black feminists, or “woke” from Black slang, terms indigenous to our way of thinking or advocating get co-opted and distorted beyond recognition in mainstream society.

There is no authoritative body of people who get to determine what terms get used and why. And just as “woke” evolved into a call to action to keep fighting, Black Americans will continue to birth terms that define what we do. And others will continue to co-opt and distort. - Malaika Jabali

@Waterfall several times I’ve mistaken @WhyCzar for you because you both have the same colour generic “W” for an avatar and my eyes just subconsciously skip straight to the post. Would one of you consider changing yours to a picture or other graphic? If there’s ever another green “K” that shows up regularly, I’ll change mine.

Like you Kimmio, I mostly hear woke being used by the far right. It's used as a slur. When it's used on the far left, it's sometimes used as virtue signaling. Don't signal your virtue, just walk the walk and let people see by your actions whether you are doing something good or not.

I've also seen attempts to reclaim woke as it's original meaning. Kind of like when some women tried to reclaim "c*nt" or "p*ssy"

Poillievre and his party tend to promise to cancel out woke. They aren't clear on exactly what that means most of the time.

I'm not a big fan of labels at the best of times. Unless, that is they help clarify. For example, I've known people who were delighted to be diagnosed with ADD or something because it gives them an explanation of why they've struggled and ideally, a plan of action.

Like you Kimmio, I mostly hear woke being used by the far right. It's used as a slur. When it's used on the far left, it's sometimes used as virtue signaling. Don't signal your virtue, just walk the walk and let people see by your actions whether you are doing something good or not.

I've also seen attempts to reclaim woke as it's original meaning. Kind of like when some women tried to reclaim "c*nt" or "p*ssy"

Poillievre and his party tend to promise to cancel out woke. They aren't clear on exactly what that means most of the time.

I'm not a big fan of labels at the best of times. Unless, that is they help clarify. For example, I've known people who were delighted to be diagnosed with ADD or something because it gives them an explanation of why they've struggled and ideally, a plan of action.
It’s helpful for diagnosis and so people who need to can share a common understanding of similar issues that crop up. In the interest of making something shared among individuals, that holds back a group of people, better for those people.

I understand better why woke was used in its original form.

Woke is a past perfect tense of being awakened ... this is a quality that parties looking for power miss because of lack of humility and what's understood to beneath what power search over look ... the Ba's ... as humbug? These folk are falsely claimed to know nothing ... when all knowledge and Y's' de M are profound to such superficial challenge from the anal retainers ... they cannot pass anything without an ID for destruction ... no unbelievable creativity! That's dark and abstract to the absolutely seized by desires and their Wiles ... some say Willy's! Imagine false my sticks ... part of that river for rolling ide-A's initiates? That's aboriginal ... and no wonder they hate Y-touts ... such catharsis disgusting ... prior illusion of being Pic'd ... choice misadventure to the underlying 4'C's! Imagine a spanning compass as Classic ... the nebulae can't get over it ... thus blackened ... as twi light pholly ...

Did you know that anal retention is a psyche term? The heap of humanity (paradigm) rejects it and thus waste ... prodigal time! It is dark and you cannot see the graphics ... thus poor no graphics ... just imagine! The emperor is bared in the woods ... Magi fore^st with peeks ... sometimes leering MS Takes ... considering what's given (AD Onus)! It is a great weighing in ...

Last edited:
@Waterfall several times I’ve mistaken @WhyCzar for you because you both have the same colour generic “W” for an avatar and my eyes just subconsciously skip straight to the post. Would one of you consider changing yours to a picture or other graphic? If there’s ever another green “K” that shows up regularly, I’ll change mine.
Ha I've actually considered that, I've just been lazy getting around to it. Probably will soon.

Back