What do you drive and why? What should I drive?

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

The time we used that 'feature' we both got too hot. We sit in the car dressed in winter parkas - don't need hot bottoms!

My cars both have multiple levels, 2 in the Civic, 3 in the CRV. I start on 'High" to get things warmed up, then turn it down or, for a short drive, off.

Not too up on cars myself. But I like blue ones. :)

There is a particular shade that I especially like.

Not too up on cars myself. But I like blue ones. :)

One of my favorite colours, too, depending on the car. Mrs. M likes basic black, though, so both of mine are black, which is also cool. Red is another nice colour (I've owned two red cars over the years).

I am fond of red, but not so much for cars.

We had a "rosebud" Hyundai once. We have done pretty well with this brand over the years.

Other cars have been grey and the present one is taupe. Now there is a color that I would not mind seeing retired.

Pretty sick of grey/silver, as well. Red used to be a dicey colour, especially metallic, because it would fade to pink. I had an ancient Honda Civic (I'll date myself when I say that it was the last year that the Civic had a manual choke...) which was affectionately nicknamed the Pink Rocket.

Why do we never see a nice forest green in a car?

We had a forest green Dodge Dart. Late 70's.

It was replaced by a gold colored car always referred to as our North American land barge. :)

Our remaining Element is bright red. Her name is Nellie (the Element). The one we totalled was maroon. The CRV is boring old silver. I have to be very careful to note where I park it so I can find it again.. Vehicle colours seem to change - for a while everything seems to be taupe, or silver, or brown.

My van is now 9. I will retire it after a trip across Canada this summer. Like Daisy Jane I want something smaller and gas efficient but able to handle skis, snowshoes and/or a canoe on top. Given the distances I regularly drive, and scarcity of charging I will not go straight electric.

Like Daisy Jane I want something smaller and gas efficient but able to handle skis, snowshoes and/or a canoe on top.

I have a co-worker who is fairly athletic. She drives a Yaris, Toyota's subcompact. I have seen a bicycle and a kayak on her roof rack at the same time. So where there's a will, there's a way. That said, it looked a bit unbalanced to my eyes.

I have an ex- government owned 1997 Corolla. I bought it in 1999 at a government auction. My husband's advice, "Don't get a car that was owned by the police department."
It was owned by a nun at a Catholic hospital - I figured it would be a reliable buy!

It is. 2019 and it gets serviced once a year -and it gives me no trouble. It has power steering, and air-conditioning - which is really all I need! Cars were made to last then - planned obsolescence was yet to come......

It certainly doesn't look fashionable - but then nor does its owner........

I have an ex- government owned 1997 Corolla. I bought it in 1999 at a government auction. My husband's advice, "Don't get a car that was owned by the police department."
It was owned by a nun at a Catholic hospital - I figured it would be a reliable buy!

It is. 2019 and it gets serviced once a year -and it gives me no trouble. It has power steering, and air-conditioning - which is really all I need! Cars were made to last then - planned obsolescence was yet to come......

I have a 2011 Mazda 3 hatchback, that was owned by a police officer.I bought it in 2015, it had only 30 000 km on it- I suspect because she was driving the police car all the time:cool:.

I change my cars as often as I change my underwear...er let me rephrase that....I change cars often....Today I drive a Toyota Rav ...usually buy sideways so no difference to the pocketbook.
But just for fun and not a Mom or Grandma car? Probably a lime green Jeep wrangler convertable or yellow convertable Mustang......woohoo and crank up the radio!

I think it's more the brand than the year. Toyotas and Hondas are tanks in my experience. My aunt and uncle had an Accord that was something like 20 years old when they finally replaced it. My 04 Civic and 06 CR-V could have easily gone another decade given their condition but we replaced them for other reasons. My co-worker with the Yaris regularly puts 300K+ on her Toyotas due to a long commute and having family scattered around the province.

I think it's more the brand than the year. Toyotas and Hondas are tanks in my experience. My aunt and uncle had an Accord that was something like 20 years old when they finally replaced it. My 04 Civic and 06 CR-V could have easily gone another decade given their condition but we replaced them for other reasons. My co-worker with the Yaris regularly puts 300K+ on her Toyotas due to a long commute and having family scattered around the province.
I think the Japanese figured out that you dont have to build in obsolescence to keep their market healthy....just come up with more stuff , reliability and up to date designs to make people trade in a car that works well most of the time.

I think the Japanese figured out that you dont have to build in obsolescence to keep their market healthy....just come up with more stuff , reliability and up to date designs to make people trade in a car that works well most of the time.

Pretty much. I traded in my 2004 Civic for a 2015 because the new ones had more leg room and Little M (6'3" with long legs) was learning to drive. The CR-V was replaced (2006 to a 2017) to get updated safety and driver assist equipment when we realized we would be driving to Ottawa regularly.

Currently, I am driving a 2011 Mazda 2 unless I have to haul something then I am in a 2018 GMC Sierra.

I enjoy the Mazda more than any other car I have driven. It is great for our windy coastal roads. Sadly they and the highway are not maintained to such a degree that the Mazda can tolerate.

The Sierra because it is larger, is hell to drive on the windy coastal roads though it can withstand that poor conditions that the road often presents.

Your ride probably rests on a number of factors.

Driving conditions probably the most important factor as wear and tear on a vehicle can ultimately result in expensive repair and more frequent repair.

Infrastructure supports are also going to become an increasingly important factor. Electric cars are being sold here in NL and the Provincial Government is installing charging stations at schools, colleges and universities. Some private retailers are also installing charge stations. geographic reality being what it is I would be apprehensive trying to cross this province in an electric vehicle. A hybrid would pose no problem.

At this point in our family life I am not driving small children around so I rarely have the Mazda 2 full of passengers or need to provide rides for large groups. I can get away with a small car. Contemporary car-seats would fit though they would significantly impact upon comfort for remaining passengers.

I am happy with Mazda workmanship and the finished product. When it is time to put the Mazda 2 away I would probably give another product in the Mazda catalogue a look first. I am not aware of Mazda going to electrics or hybrids yet. They have done some rejigging under the hood to increase fuel efficiency.

The GMC Sierra is actually the second we had in the span of two weeks. The first was returned because of some load issue which drained the battery constantly. Technicians at the dealer could not find the problem so it was crated up and sent back to the assembly line for a forensic assessment. The replacement vehicle has functioned as well as could be expected.

Previously we have owned a Ford Windstar and we found Ford to be significantly negligent with respect to dealing with the design flawed product.

We have also previously owned Pontiac Waves and we can understand why Pontiac eventually closed up shop. While the cars were more or less reliable they suffered from throttle icing and after the third recall to correct that problem (because the first two attempts didn't work) we realized that the whole thing was more or less a lemon. When mine was wiped out during a foggy morning collision we moved my wife into her first Mazda and I inherited her Wave. Within a year this wave suffered what the technicians described as a catastrophic failure. They actually paid for most of the repairs (which suggested to me that Pontiac higher ups had seen this kind of failure plenty of times before. We traded it in for a pittance on the Mazda 2 which was the bare bones package.

I am driving a 2011 Mazda 2

I have considered downsizing to something in this class and even test drove a Honda Fit when I was car shopping in 2015. However, due to incentives, the Civic LX sedan ended up cheaper than the Fit LX at that time. The humour of being able to say "I'm having a Fit" did not escape me but that doesn't justify spending extra $$ on a car. :cool:

Back