what are you reading?

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

OMG, the Canada Reads long list is out, and we're off!

Of the 15 books, 14 are available via my library, so I have started my yearly frantic history of "hold, borrow, read as much as possible..." I have two downloaded at present. The first is described as an urban queer take on the Arthurian legends... The Winter Knight, by Jes Battis. The second is What Comes Echoing Back, by Leo McKay Jr. We'll keep you posted.

Actually, the short list is out, and neither of my first two borrowings in on it, so I'd better get everything on my hold list.

Once our library is back online I will see if I can put a hold on The Queen's Gambit. The Toronto public library system was hacked in October and it is still not functioning fully.

We can check out books but nothing is being reshelved. My local library doesn't look empty except for the children's section

Once our library is back online I will see if I can put a hold on The Queen's Gambit. The Toronto public library system was hacked in October and it is still not functioning fully.

We can check out books but nothing is being reshelved. My local library doesn't look empty except for the children's section

A Toronto friend complained about the Toronto library mess. Thanks for the explanation. It's nuts that it has been a problem for so long.

I'm thankful our library system is functioning.

A Toronto friend complained about the Toronto library mess. Thanks for the explanation. It's nuts that it has been a problem for so long.
London Public got hit, too, but seems to be bouncing back faster than Toronto. Ours started Dec. 14 and most services are back online now but it took over a month. Unfortunately, recovering from a major hit like that is not simple. You need to confirm what happened, determine the best way to recover, possibly dig up old backups. And you need to make sure that as you rebuild your systems, you actually fix whatever security holes the hackers exploited. Depending on your backup method, even your backups could be lost or under suspicion (since if the hackers used some kind of trojan or spyware to get in, it might be lurking on your backups). There's consulting firms now who do nothing but assist in recovery efforts. If I had the necessary background, I could make a very comfortable living just doing that.

It's scary to think of how libraries can be crippled so easily. So much is online now.

That goes for other organizations. I know when the power was out, we couldn't do any work because we needed the computers. That's pretty common everywhere, and that's not even a hack

It's scary to think of how libraries can be crippled so easily.
Part of the issue is that municipal IT people likely don't see the library as a priority. When you have things like people's tax records under your purview, library records seem rather unimportant. But there's lot of info in there that could be used for identity theft. And circulation records, while they may seem like a rather minimal privacy threat, could expose information indirectly. Some reading a book about a given illness might have that illness or some reading a book on getting a divorce might actually be planning to do so.

Speaking of reading, I'm currently reading Mad Honey by Jodi Piccoult and Jennifer Finney Boylan. Boy, is it ever a good book! It is written in the first person. One part is from Olivia's perspective. Her son Asher is 18 and loves Lily. The other part is from Lily's perspective. Lily is found dead, and Asher is charged with murdering her. The story has some great information and things that contribute to the story. It's a good read.

I often wonder if certain novels teach certain individuals how to commit certain crimes.
Probably easier to look it up on the Internet. Frankly, if someone is getting ideas on how to commit crimes from a crime or mystery novel, they are likely already pretty screwed up. I certainly would not pin blame on crime writers for crimes committed based on their novels. That's entirely on the criminal.

Is Finney Boylan the daughter of Jodi Piccoult? Is she a Trans activist?

I think I read this book.
Wiki doesn't mention them being related and says Finney Boylan is actually older than Piccoult by 8 years, so not related but, yes, she is a trans activist. Piccoult has, however, written two books with her daughter Samantha so maybe that's what you're thinking of?

Wiki doesn't mention them being related and says Finney Boylan is actually older than Piccoult by 8 years, so not related but, yes, she is a trans activist. Piccoult has, however, written two books with her daughter Samantha so maybe that's what you're thinking of?
So I was conflating the two coauthors? Like we often do with biblical accounts? :LOL:

Anyone else with two children sometimes forget which kid was involved in a childhood event?
I only have one, but I am the eldest of three siblings and I'm pretty sure it has happened in my birth family.

The Winter Knight, by Jes Battis
I have seen this one, probably in Libby. My fascination with the Arthurian cycle seems to have run its course, though. Haven't read anything Arthurian in quite a while though I did watch a good course on the subject from The Great Courses. Better than the Arthur course I actually took for credit in university.

Back