Successful PArent???

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

I think Mrs. Anteater's point, at least as I understood it, is that many people do grow up with 'dysfunctional' parents & that how one works their way through that is the important thing. Healing & health are possible with intentional work. Not everyone decides to go that route tho.

It's easier when you don't have contact with the parent(s). Because a narcissistic parent could draw you back into their toxic web of power/ dependency on approval/ shame if you don't maintain safe distance.

A common refrain from a narcissistic parent:

Adult child: I don't feel like you listen to me when I'm trying to tell you why I'm upset.

Narcissistic parent: Well where were you to listen to me when I was raising you after your father left us both? Maybe you're just ungrateful. Why don't you ask him to listen to you?

Last edited:
It's easier when you don't have contact with the parent(s). Because a narcissistic parent could draw you back into their toxic web of power/ dependency on approval/ shame if you don't maintain safe distance.
That's part of the work & the choices, right? It's a challenge for sure!

I think Mrs. Anteater's point, at least as I understood it, is that many people do grow up with 'dysfunctional' parents & that how one works their way through that is the important thing. Healing & health are possible with intentional work. Not everyone decides to go that route tho.
The choice isn't always clearly delineated and can be a lifelong work in progress. To truly fix a dysfunctional relationship involves both/ all parties to the dysfunction. That may not ever be possible, but with distance and time and work one can experience some degree of personal healing.

I'm grateful I never had kids. There was a point when I wanted to. Glad it never happened because I don't think I was ever prepared to be a good parent.

Last edited:
Imagine entanglement of all parties as a sort of ... pragmatic God syndrome ... one with a lighter side to the brutality of staunch powers of corruption! That's life a question of quirk, or quark and in the mystery .. who will eliminate you from the status quo?

This a complex conjugation of varied cognozance ... many fail due to the single line thingy!

I love the concept of chosen families. It makes sense to me, especially for families who truly are not working.
It is a common phrase in LGBTQ2 circles where families disown or are cruel to their children.
Here is a quick googled article on it: https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/ywbkp7/why-queer-people-need-chosen-families

I wonder, though, if the concept of chosen family is a good one for folks who don't fit in or whose parents and their relationship does not work, for whatever reason.
Some folks have had grandparents or aunts/uncles be more like parents.
Others it's not family, but some other group.

It allows for gatherings at birthday, and at Christmas with ones chosen family. (or other high holidays and days).

Just spent two and a half days babysitting a 9-month old and a 9-year old and 3 dogs, plus our own. So, now I'm into grand-parenting. Boy, was I tired by the end of each day. And my daughter just called to let me know that the little guy now has his first-ever diaper rash, so she wanted me to walk her through the routine I used to change diapers. Gulp. Maybe I still don't have this parenting thing down! Actually, we figured out together that he probably is suffering from teething, so it wasn't really my fault. Also, the 9-year old worked with Grandpa to do snow removal and felt really good about all of his helping. This was a trial run for 2 weeks of babysitting coming up soon.

Oh ya...the part about being a successful parent? Keeping the kids alive! At one point I was fishing stuff out of the little guy's mouth that he had picked up from UNDER the stove...plastic bits of broken stove nobs. I fished one piece out, two pieces out...three! He had bit it into three pieces, all tucked away in different parts of his mouth.

I love the concept of chosen families. It makes sense to me, especially for families who truly are not working.
It is a common phrase in LGBTQ2 circles where families disown or are cruel to their children.
Here is a quick googled article on it: https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/ywbkp7/why-queer-people-need-chosen-families

I wonder, though, if the concept of chosen family is a good one for folks who don't fit in or whose parents and their relationship does not work, for whatever reason.
Some folks have had grandparents or aunts/uncles be more like parents.
Others it's not family, but some other group.

It allows for gatherings at birthday, and at Christmas with ones chosen family. (or other high holidays and days).

Reminds me of Apple Pie.

I reached 'exhausted grandmother' stage fairly quickly when taking care of THREE grandsons - aged three, two and one. I had them for three weeks! After a couple of days I basically didn't do anything but childcare, playing and the essential food and dishes..

I love Kissing Fish on FB. This just popped up on my timeline: View attachment 2218

Of course, you will need support. You don't need to do it alone
Sometimes, if one find themselves within arms length of the toxicity again, they need a bit of a do-over. It’s a lifelong process.

It does kind of upset me, the idea that parents have no responsibility for addressing the emotional damage they inflicted, and may continue to, after some magic age is reached. That strikes me, also, as adults not taking responsibility/ being accountable.

I’ve heard of odd situations of adult children filing for “divorce” from toxic parents, or suing them. However, that isn’t bridge building behaviour.

Yup, 19. Maybe 18. Shucks, maybe 21. For some, at 16 they take control of their lives, forced into it.

Let me expand on that. At some point, children become adults and start to comprehend the complexities of the other persons lives. They realize they are not always the centre of their parents world.

They start to be accountable for their own actions and responses. They make choices. They may even say "no" .

Sometimes, like in my situation, it shifts again as they learn to not respond to their reality within their dementia.

It is good .

Yup, 19. Maybe 18. Shucks, maybe 21. For some, at 16 they take control of their lives, forced into it.
Yup, Pinga. Yup. I know. You act like I don’t know any of this. I do have a chip on my shoulder, I admit. There are complexities. I just want to say that not every adult child with dysfunction is to blame for their struggles. Not every dysfunctional adult is an addict or not trying. And maybe some young adults start drinking to avoid pain in their families, to escape the pain of emotional abuse...and get scapegoated? What if they learn bad coping mechanisms from the parent themselves but the parent is in denial. What if the parent is more the “difficult child” in private but they are the dominant gregarious personality in public?

What if the adult child grows up to know more and have more insight than their abusive parent and the parent finds that threatening?

What if a parent derives self worth from the power they are still able to wield over their adult child, because they have learned exactly how to use their child’s weaknesses against them, like a trap? What if that “weakness” is wanting a better relationship, while the parent just seeks to have control back?

There are lots of possibilities.

What if going full no contact with one parent ends up sacrificing a decent relationship with the other one, or with other family members? It’s not easy. What if you have a family member who uses their periods of basic decency as later ammunition to hurt you with, to lord over you, once you let them in again...and nobody but you and them and maybe someone very close to the situation know this dynamic? What if the focus is always on the mental health of the victim/ nuisance child, while a personality disordered parent gets away with never working on themselves?

Last edited:
It does kind of upset me, the idea that parents have no responsibility for addressing the emotional damage they inflicted, and may continue to, after some magic age is reached. That strikes me, also, as adults not taking responsibility/ being accountable.

Sometimes reality sucks. People for whatever reason are often unable to acknowledge harm they've done to each other. We've all harmed others. Usually it's not intentional. Parents are not gods. Part of the job of becoming adult is recognizing that.

My father and I had a rocky relationship over the years. There were times in my life I would have told you he hurt me intentionally. I went four years without seeing him. If he had dropped dead during that time, I would have been relieved.

One day I decided to accept him for who he was. Warts and all. That wasn't easy. It didn't happen overnight. At any rate, choosing to accept him changed my life. He was no longer controlling my life.

Now, many years later, he's 90 and frail. I've recently come to see that he's way more sensitive than I've ever realized. I'm thankful I was able to accept him for who he is. That has allowed me to have an adult to adult relationship with him. He's most certainly not perfect. Accepting him made room for me to accept myself and grow up.

The only person I have control over is me. I cannot wait for someone else to accept responsibility in order to grow. I refuse to allow someone to have that control over me anymore. The past is past. I am 100% responsible for fixing the old programming that doesn't work.

I like your post Kimmio.

I just want to say that not every adult child with dysfunction is to blame for their struggles.

An adult child isn't to blame for what happened to them in the past. The adult is responsible for finding ways to move forward somehow.

What if they learn bad coping mechanisms from the parent themselves but the parent is in denial.

What if the parent continues to be in denial? Or worse, thinks they did a good job? Is it essential or even necessary to have parental approval before we heal?

What if the adult child grows up to know more and have more insight than their abusive parent and the parent finds that threatening?

That's definitely a possibility. Perhaps even a probability. Sometimes being a threat is a good thing. Make sure you are safe and set boundaries.

What if a parent derives self worth from the power they are still able to wield over their adult child

Don't hand over your power. I know, easier said than done. It is though, essential.

What if going full no contact with one parent ends up sacrificing a decent relationship with the other one, or with other family members?

What if continuing to have contact ends up destroying you? Isn't your health and wellbeing worth fighting for?

It most certainly is not easy.

Sometimes reality sucks. People for whatever reason are often unable to acknowledge harm they've done to each other. We've all harmed others. Usually it's not intentional. Parents are not gods. Part of the job of becoming adult is recognizing that.

My father and I had a rocky relationship over the years. There were times in my life I would have told you he hurt me intentionally. I went four years without seeing him. If he had dropped dead during that time, I would have been relieved.

One day I decided to accept him for who he was. Warts and all. That wasn't easy. It didn't happen overnight. At any rate, choosing to accept him changed my life. He was no longer controlling my life.

Now, many years later, he's 90 and frail. I've recently come to see that he's way more sensitive than I've ever realized. I'm thankful I was able to accept him for who he is. That has allowed me to have an adult to adult relationship with him. He's most certainly not perfect. Accepting him made room for me to accept myself and grow up.

The only person I have control over is me. I cannot wait for someone else to accept responsibility in order to grow. I refuse to allow someone to have that control over me anymore. The past is past. I am 100% responsible for fixing the old programming that doesn't work.
I get it. I went years without seeing my mother. My step dad convinced me to move back “home” where i’d have family support after my husband and I split up because I was close to homeless, our friends were his friends - I stayed with a friend of mine who ended up getting an eviction notice although I had been paying her half the rent - so I couldn’t trust her, and I was really lost...I was a wreck and couldn’t manage. I fought my step dad on moving “home”. I almost went to a shelter instead...really. I had even called up the Salvation Army. But I trusted that he truly cares. Even if I’m not trusting of my mom’s intentions and may never. So, a couple of false starts at rebuilding a new life here...but it’s too close for comfort. I miss being hours away from them! (At one point I went to counselling...while I was looking for a job here. He - or maybe my mother - felt that a few weeks was taking too long so she actually asked him to go down and talk to my counsellor!!! about what was taking so long for me to snap out of grief and get a job! My husband had left and my life was upside down and I was in a different city! Un-f***ing-believable that they did not see that as a problem on their behalf! I told my counsellor and she fully agreed that’s inappropriate (and that I needed to get the hell away from that, too) and she would never do that, or even admit she knows me. This is my mother at her finest. So, I got a place that was only temporary - haven’t been able to find affordable long term housing - broke my leg, had nowhere else to go while it healed, and have had a hard time reestablishing myself since. Not for lack of trying...but geez it is a dysfunctional situation! Can’t blame me for wishing I could sue them all, sometimes, can you?

Last edited:
Back