How was church today?

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Wear your princely transparencies ... nothing to it! Like angels wandering about in lace and R's Nich ... ridiculed ass?

Walter Brennan sang of Midnight ... a lot of plowing and turning over of worms ...

Observe the other side of them squirming about the story ...

Trying a slightly new configuration for Lent. We've got some themes going on - Doing and Being, and some weekly themes. We're adding some more contemplative time into the end of the service - "Being", with a Taize chant, followed by a couple of minutes of guided mindfulness meditation, then another Taize as the Benediction.

They had some Taize elements of silence and repetitive songs on Sunday. Rev. John was lamenting that in his former church there was a woman who gave up Lent for Lent each year. She would disappear around Ash Wednesday and reappear on Easter Sunday. Ha ha I think I know where that woman was coming from. Lent can be a bit overwhelming. Rev. John had us do a small talk session with those around us on the topic, "Who are you." He then challenged us to try and figure out who we are, not what we do or how we live our lives, but who are we. Dang, what a question and what a challenge. :unsure:

Had some strange discussions in church about caring about the neighbour and who ... exactly cares?

It is our Eire est question ... do the phonetics to pick out the orals ...

Church today was really excellent.

We had a wonderful turnout and I had to park at the public school next door. We were saying goodbye to a supply minister who has been with us for the last year. He has come out of retirement & accepted a full time call and we are so happy for him. His ministry has been very meaningful.

We also welcomed the confirmation class into membership . . . 5 young people and 1 adult. They all wrote a letter to the congregation and these were read out with no names attached. It was inspiring to hear the comments. Most talked about the family feeling they have at church and a few said they wanted to be confirmed so they could get more involved in making decisions with the congregation.

Isn't that great?

It was impossible to say which of the letters was written by the adult in the group. Impressive!

Our minister does a recap of the sermon which is posted each week.

here is an example:

We have a service each Sunday where people sit in the pews, music, pass the peace, worship, sermon, life of the church and so on. Not exactly traditional, but, fairly.

There is also something called "livewire".
Now liveware is for those who wish to dialogue, or just the sermon isn't right for them.

One never knows who will be, and I have gone to it for various reasons.

The one thing that I have been challenged is with the dialogue. It isn't the dialogue that I would normally have regarding a service, kinda like some threads are not the kind of dialogue that I want or expect to have.

What I realized today is that maybe, it is just something that I need to learn. I witness folks who can hear what the person is saying, and bring it back to the topic. I witnessed a woman who could express her concern for another who was in pain.
Some of the people who come to this conversation have had very different experiences in life: one is homeless, or couch surfing - having lost everthing in later life, another is a young man with a brain injury who is passionate and cares for others, another is a woman who has had hard times, and others who are atheists who come with family, and others who are regular church goers, who come out to participate in dialogue, and so on. Last week was a gentleman who was more fundamental in his beliefs. One never knows.

So today, my brain / thoughts shifted a bit. I think that I may start to go more often, to listen more, to participate more fully in a quiet way.

Do these non things resemble waifs of antipathy? Or just non-pathee! If without pain who'd act?

Thus point men to ether sides ...

Went to the early service today and the sermon was on Greed, one of the seven deadly sins.....the usual take about how we shouldn't worship money etc. For some reason my mind started to wonder about Job before Satan took away everything and he was very well off.....would he have eventually thought he didnt need God anymore because he felt he had everything he needed? Do we tend to hang on to God more when we dont do so well and forget about God when we have everything we want?
Note to self....Must stop reinventing the sermon.

Went to the early service today and the sermon was on Greed, one of the seven deadly sins.....the usual take about how we shouldn't worship money etc. For some reason my mind started to wonder about Job before Satan took away everything and he was very well off.....would he have eventually thought he didnt need God anymore because he felt he had everything he needed? Do we tend to hang on to God more when we dont do so well and forget about God when we have everything we want?
Note to self....Must stop reinventing the sermon.
Are those seven deadly sins actually biblical or just made up from the ten commandments ?

Are those seven deadly sins actually biblical or just made up from the ten commandments ?
Not biblical from what I understand......my take is biblically anyway, is that all sins are equal .....proverbs lists seven sins but not the ones we associate with "deadly sins".

I'm not up on the history, but I think they are more a product of Christian theology than biblical scholarship. I imagine there's an article on wiki that discusses the history.

I'm not up on the history, but I think they are more a product of Christian theology than biblical scholarship. I imagine there's an article on wiki that discusses the history.
Looked it up....it was Pope Gregory that came up with it....
Was at my sisters church this morning and it was the youth minister who spoke today....hmmmm....next week gluttony lol

I don't know how church was this morning, because I left in a temper. Got there early to do the slides, and once again, although she knew I had volunteered, K had it all set up and her purse was slung over the back of the chair. Not going to volunteer for that job again; sick of this.

And it's too bad, because I was looking forward to hearing the speaker - member of one of our local mosques.

Looked it up....it was Pope Gregory that came up with it....
Was at my sisters church this morning and it was the youth minister who spoke today....hmmmm....next week gluttony lol

The youth minister talking about gluttony? If they lead the youth group, they're likely experts. ;)

Back