Thoughts On Tipping

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Do you tip service workers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ninj

Pronouns
She/Her/Her
1000002362.jpg
Is this just in Quebec or do other provinces have these high percentages as suggested tips? The reason for this in Quebec is that the minimum wage for food/beverage service workers is $3 less than everywhere else in Canada. Often the servers or delivery people never see some of that. For the customer, it adds more to an already exorbitant bill.

20 here

Its sad that tipping is a social norm now :(

People should pay their workers better

I remember when tipping was for exemplary service

So I tip most of the time because I always assume the staff are being paid dick wages

I always tip here knowing the wages are low, but if it's crappy service, (ie. The doordash guy having a smoke in front of my place before delivering my meal), I do a dollar amount. Dinner was cold. He got a small tip anyway.

Where I am it’s 15, 18, 20…and I’ve seen 25!

I tip 18 usually in my neighbourhood cafe. Occasionally certain retail stores ask for tips and that bugs me but I figure their staff are struggling too, so I might add 10 percent.

Now cow tipping is another matter entirely, as ninj remembers well

*wistfully remembers that night*
:LOL:

Last edited:
Now, I remember sometime this year it was on the radio that the staff is not necessarily getting the tips, some businesses keep it for the business. So one actually would have to ask the staff if they really are getting it. I haven’t done that yet.

Most places here still start at 10%, it seems.

Now, I remember sometime this year it was on the radio that the staff is not necessarily getting the tips, some businesses keep it for the business. So one actually would have to ask the staff if they really are getting it. I haven’t done that yet.
Depends where you are. I think Ontario was going to outlaw that practice but not sure if it happened. The tips are supposed to either go to the service person receiving them or be divided up (so that the kitchen staff can benefit, for instance) but are not to be going to the business.

If you tip on the total ... you are tipping governing services for their part in which they may not have played any part ...

Nothing is straight forward no matter what the BS states ... round and round it goes until you see something in that dark circle ...

Thus muffin puffin as an example of inflationary cos ...

Remember we live in an emotional world based on irrationality! Accepted by blind faith so not intelligence is encountered or involved in the incident ...

Go figure how that functions when thought is censored ...

Back