The Ontario vote under different voting systems

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Mendalla

Happy headbanging ape!!
Pronouns
He/Him/His
I have mixed feelings about changing how votes are counted. I am not happy with single member plurality (the technical name for first past the post). Getting 60% of the seats with only 40% of the vote, as our PCs did, isn't even the biggest problem. Our Liberals were reduced to only 6% of the seats even though they got 20% of the votes.

The problem is that the alternatives come with problems of their own so deciding which one is really the best balance of democracy and stability is tricky.

To illustrate the options, Fair Vote Canada did the exercise of showing how Ontario's recent election might have turned out under other scenarios.

The electoral game: What would Ontario results look like under a different voting system?

Interesting to contemplate even if it raises questions as much as it answers them.

I have mixed feelings about changing how votes are counted. I am not happy with single member plurality (the technical name for first past the post). Getting 60% of the seats with only 40% of the vote, as our PCs did, isn't even the biggest problem. Our Liberals were reduced to only 6% of the seats even though they got 20% of the votes.

The problem is that the alternatives come with problems of their own so deciding which one is really the best balance of democracy and stability is tricky.

To illustrate the options, Fair Vote Canada did the exercise of showing how Ontario's recent election might have turned out under other scenarios.

The electoral game: What would Ontario results look like under a different voting system?

Interesting to contemplate even if it raises questions as much as it answers them.

Yet some stoically SET will say you can't question nothing ... it leaves a lot of salient room for the curios ... however interest of the wee people are like demos ... to be degraded! Misunderstood composites ... another complex word in simple layout ...

Back